TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Grand Junction, CO Supercharger

Discussion in 'Mountain/Southwest' started by MitchMitch, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MitchMitch

MitchMitch Lurker In Chief

2. Sgt Barone

Sgt Barone Member

Awesome, great news!

3. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Were they from California, same crew that installed Glenwood Springs, CO?
    Cove Fort, UT could be next!!
    --

4. thranx

thranx Member

Great work, Mitchmitch, and thanks for the pix!

5. MitchMitch

I didn't ask specifically where they were from, but they were working out of a local trailer.
    I asked about their project and they volunteered the Tesla name.
    Perhaps just doing basic preliminary work?
    GJ Tesla SC 4A.jpg

6. Cottonwood

Cottonwood Roadster#433, Model S#S37

That's more than preliminary work, the concrete pads and setting the large conduits are a big part of the job! Who photoshopped the TESLA on the trailer plate?

7. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Apparently QHI is a very local concrete (sub)contractor. Hence the 'preliminary' - - Fine by me!!

The Farmington, NM SC will now be '3 degrees from home'. Likewise Rapid City, SD SC.

This is just too much connectivity!! And too soon - how will I ever deal with this?? :rolleyes:
    --

8. MitchMitch

That would be me. Unsure of picture posting etiquette, I rubbed out their phone # in front of the wheels too.

9. Cottonwood

Rubbing out plate numbers is good netiquette. I'll bet they would rather have their phone number exposed. They are a business and put it on the trailer to advertise.

10. cjc9er

cjc9er Member

Colorado Superchargers still pretty quiet

Just made the drive from Durango to Denver in a 60 and was surprised to see so little activity at the SCs in Glenwood and Silverthorne. No other cars charging at Silverthorne or either time we stopped at Glenwood. I checked with the hotel staff person in Glenwood and she said I was the first person to use their superchargers that she had ever seen or had ever come into the hotel, which amazed me. Time to generate a little more business for these companies that are hosting supercharger sites! Still trying to work out a route back home -- might brave the new charging stations in Salida and Pagosa - thanks Cottonwood!

11. GlennAlanBerry

I've been to the Silverthorne SC twice now. The first time (on a weekend) there was one other Model S charging, and the second time (this past Monday), there were no other Tesla vehicles charging. Based on my conversations with several employees at the Silverthorne Outlet mall, they have not seen that much activity at the Silverthorne SC yet. Its probably because of the weather during the late fall, going into winter.

12. MitchMitch

Update: Sure but steady progress has been impeded by bitter cold. Pesky inversion has been keeping temps below 0 for lows, and just below freezing for highs. Awesome, experienced, patient contractor Gary thought the weather could delay completion until mid January. Tesla equipment is onsite, and unlike Cheyenne WY, it looks like the transformer is ready to energize!
    GJ Tesla SC 5.jpg GJ Tesla SC 6.jpg GJ Tesla SC 7.jpg GJ Tesla SC 8.jpg

13. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

> Based on my conversations with several employees at the Silverthorne Outlet mall, they have not seen that much activity at the Silverthorne SC yet. [GlennAlanBerry]

They are on the other side of the building and at the far end. Hey, we sneak in quick & then sneak out. For me yesterday was the first time I was all alone at Silverthorne for the entire session. Btw careful backing up: you hit the signpost before the curb!!

Outlets should set up a camera and a monitor in their office.
    --

14. cjc9er

cjc9er Member

still not many users

I visited Glenwood's SC 3 times in late December - always empty, and Silverthorne twice. It was empty the first time but 3 of us charged there on Dec 26 simultaneously. Does it increase charge speed to use every other port instead of adjacent ones? can't wait for grand junction to open!

15. stevezzzz

stevezzzz R;SigS;P85D;SigX

When a group of Model S owners descended on Glenwood the first weekend it was open (I think there were five of us), I made a point of walking over to the hotel and asking the desk clerk to convey our thanks to management for cooperating with Tesla to make the Superchargers available. I haven't been back to Glenwood yet, but I have used Silverthorne a few times; ran into Cottonwood there once and saw one other Model S another time.

The Colorado SC's may be underutilized at present, but they are important links in the first east-west cross country Supercharger route. We can expect lots of charging traffic next summer when the weather is better and Elon's Route is fully operational.

16. Cottonwood

The stalls/pedestals are labled 1A/1B, 2A/2B, ... The number indicated the Supercharger cabinet which is limited to 120 kW total in most locations (90 kW in some old installs). That 120 kW is shared between the A and B stalls, currently giving priority to the first car to arrive. In Silverthorne the stalls are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 4A 1B 2B 3B 4B; in Glenwood, they are arranged as 1A 2A 3A 1B 2B 3B. Therefore adjacent ones are usually OK, just look a few stalls away to see if the same number is occupied; if it is, pick another stall where the paired number is not in use. Because the first to arrive gets priority, you don't have to worry about someone plugging into the paired number while you get a bite to eat; that's their problem.

If you do notice problems or just have questions, call the 877 number on the pedestal; I have always had a pleasant human take my call and thank me for letting them know of issues. Tesla has remote monitoring, but if you call in the issue, it makes sure someone notices and helps us all with getting SC problems addressed sooner.

Happy Supercharging! :biggrin:

17. Cottonwood

This is a little misuse of this thread, but I wanted to put my answers on-line for Tesla Supercharger network - Page 299 without biasing others.

1. I don't think that it really matters if more Superchargers go online or not in December, but our country has a funny avoidance of the number 13. I predict that there will be 2+ more Superchargers put online in the end of December or none to avoid making the December total 13.
    2. I predict 15 Superchargers going online in January 2014.
    3. I think that Tesla will average 12-15 Supercharger installs a month in North America for 2014. There will be some ups and downs and perhaps a little pause after the "Elon Route" is finished, but 140-180 new Superchargers in 2014 is my (hopeful) prediction.
    4. The "Elon Route" will be finished in February 2014 for his trip in March. The only big gaps are the California desert (could use Vegas), Holbrook, AZ (it will start soon), and Western PA (I think it's started, but not found). There are just too many planning boards, utilities, and weather to finish it in January, but Elon will demand February so he is not embarrassed in March.
    5. My further prediction (perhaps hope) is that Tesla will continue and improve their "Destination Charging" program to get more and more HPWC's out there to fill in the routes off of the Supercharger grid and to provide a safety net for failed Superchargers.

18. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

#18 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Dec 29, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2013
    The network is the ... Supercharger. As the network fills in you increase the number of possible trips, which increases both the size of the market and use of the Superchargers. As the number of Superchargers grows new Superchargers will also be more likely to make a connection and thus see more traffic immediately. With Q2 2014 seeing increased cell oroduction and therefore greater model S production you could akso see an increase in installation.

EDIT: and I agree with Cottonwood about the destination charging. Elon's road trip is through so e popular tourist areas and can be seen as "reinventing the road trip" through Supercharging but is also a good time to raise destination charging.

19. MitchMitch

Fun Progress. Equipment nearly set up. Temps made it to 32F today. Compact design shaping up.
    GJ Tesla SC 9.jpg GJ Tesla SC 10.jpg

20. cjc9er

cjc9er Member

Guess we can celebrate the lack of crowds in the SW

When I read about the queues forming in Hawthorne, I'm starting to feel thankful that I don't run into other users much at superchargers in Colorado!:smile: Planning a road trip from Durango, CO to Sonoma, CA and Yosemite in early February, though, and really hoping those Arizona and New Mexico superchargers get finished in the next few weeks! Are you guys thinking Grand Junction might fire up in early January?

Thanks also to Cottonwood for the explanation on how to extract maximum power flow from a crowded SC site - I'll pay closer attention to the stall numbers and letters when I get to those busy SCs in California!

Question: What's the highest power flow you guys have seen so far into your car at a supercharger? I noticed 300 amps at 321 volts when I was at Glenwood Springs last week, but am guessing it can go even higher on some of the 120 kW chargers. Does ambient temperature have any effect on charge rate?