Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grand Teton, Yellowstone, Glacier NP trip from the East

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We are planning a summer trip in our MYLR to Grand Teton, Yellowstone, and Glacier national parks, in that order. We are approaching and leaving the parks from the East. I figured we could start at the Jackson Supercharger, then enter Grand Teton NP from there, charge at West Yellowstone Supercharger on the way from Teton to Yellowstone; need to work out the rest. I have read several threads here about such trips but if anyone else has advice for my plans, I would appreciate it.

Hello. I did your trip from the west. Made it to grand Teton and Yellowstone no issues. For Yellowstone charging my LR3 to 95% allowed me to complete the entire loop around Yellowstone with battery to spare so no issues there. Yellowstone is a large loop and you just make stops at destinations you want to checkout.

I had No Tolls option enabled in my car. But you can actually drive from Teton up into Yellowstone directly. That was a mistake on my part so I ended up driving around to get to Yellowstone. You can use the navigation to confirm if that route is plausible.

When trying to plan a route to Glacier. There weren’t too many chargers up there and we were headed to Idaho for the remainder of the trip so it would be too much back tracking.

It’s a beautiful drive and just a great experience! Autopilot really makes it easy.

You can use ABRP to see where all the super chargers are. That was helpful for me.

Have a safe trip!

Reactions: Alexgd
I went to Yellowstone last summer from the West coat.
I stayed for few days at West Yellowstone where there are some good places to eat and stay.

I drove all around and up to Jackson. The hotels inside the park are nice but difficult to book in advance.
You will lose connectivity inside the park, but you can still use the GPS map.
So you cannot use the navigation and you will have to estimate your remaining range,
but if you can charge every day there will be no problem.

I was considering going to Glacier National Park and Banff National Park,
but charging seem more challenging, and also the border was closed.
May be I will try next summer.

See some other threads:

Last edited:
Shortly after getting my Model 3 in late Spring 2018, we took a trip westward from our home in Kentucky. No 250kw chargers back in those days. We stopped in Denver for a few days (it was a partial work trip for me) and then headed north to see Wind Cave, Mt. Rushmore, and Devil’s Tower. Proceeded west to Yellowstone (entered the NE entrance) and spent the first night at an inn outside the East entrance (it had a destination charger). Spent a couple of days seeing Yellowstone and headed down to Grand Teton NP. Stayed in Jackson. Headed south to Bryce Canyon NP, Arches NP, & Canyonlands NP. Great trip. The Model 3 was the star of the show; there weren’t many around back then (I think I only saw 2 others the whole trip) and it got a LOT of attention. It was a great trip and I experienced ZERO range anxiety. You’ll love it.

I wrote this for Grand Teton and Yellowstone-

and this for Glacier-

I agree with everyone here that Grand Teton and Yellowstone are quite easy to get around. At Yellowstone, if you charge up at West Yellowstone to 90%, download Google offline maps for Yellowstone on your phone, you can easily get around the loop with 30-40% SOC left since the speed limit is 40mph and the loop is pretty flat. Download the Recreation National Park app as well.

Glacier though, I suggest going after July because that's when Going to the Sun Road should be completely opened and it'll make the whole park accessible. Or else you will have range anxiety driving around the park and there are limited destination chargers around. You will need to plan accordingly for sure and probably stay by or in a RV park next to Glacier to charge the car. If Going to the Sun road is closed partially, I highly suggest staying on the East side of Glacier's vs. the West. The views are better on the East side and all the good hikes are around there. If the road is completely open, it won't matter where you stay, you can stay in the west with no issues. Driving through the park and back on the Going to the Sun road took about 40%.

You also need to book this ticket from Recreation.gov to drive through the Going to the Sun road after 6am- Going-to-the-Sun Road Entry Ticket, Glacier National Park Ticketed Entry - Recreation.gov. They release the tickets 60 days before opening day so I'd keep an eye out on the site to try to reserve for the week of the days you're going in the park. Don't think they updated the site for this year yet.

Have a good trip! I miss Glacier, want to go back again.

Last edited:
On a side note, there is less traffic going from Teton to Yellowstone, compared to the other way... When we went last summer, it was around 2pm when we were on our way to West Yellowstone from Teton. There was no traffic on the main loop going in this direction, but I could see traffic was at a standstill going the other way. Mostly becuase everyone was trying to enter Grand Prismatic, where there was no parking left, so it was blocking the main road coming from West Yellowstone.... When we entered from West Yellowstone the next day, traffic jams up there around 9-10am or so. You should hit grand prismatic first thing in the morning, then do old faithful later, as there is plenty of parking at old faithful, but very limited at grand prismatic.

You may even want to call the parks shortly before your visit. We were in Yosemite/Kings Canyon/Sequoia this year and I was worried about LV2 availability based on ABRP and other sites (there were supposedly 3 with one broken and others often blocked). When we arrived, Yosemite in particular had about a dozen new(er) chargers in the valley that hadn't yet made it to public knowledge. My guess is that this will be regularly occurring at these parks near the main hotels/attractions with how remote they are and EV popularity. It worked perfectly to top off while grabbing some food or taking a short hike for a close attraction.

I was just at Grand Teton over Thanksgiving and didn't see anything happening there but you're not very far from town/SC options for that park. I could see Yellowstone adding something around Old Faithful.

Get the Gypsy app!

I can’t speak about charging but last year we went to Yellowstone driving our ICE, we used the Gypsy app to get around in the park. It’s GPS based and it’s like having a personal tour guide. Connect your phone to the cars Bluetooth and it will tell you places you would not have known and some stories about those places. It tells you where to turn. It works without a cell signal. It was the best $10 I’ve spent.

Get the Gypsy app!

I can’t speak about charging but last year we went to Yellowstone driving our ICE, we used the Gypsy app to get around in the park. It’s GPS based and it’s like having a personal tour guide. Connect your phone to the cars Bluetooth and it will tell you places you would not have known and some stories about those places. It tells you where to turn. It works without a cell signal. It was the best $10 I’ve spent.
I second that. We used the Gypsy app for Yellowstone, Tetons, Arches, Canyonlands, and Rocky Mountain NP. There’s a lot a cool stuff packed in that app. Cool stuff we would’ve missed if we hadn’t had it.