Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"grandfathered in" free supercharging?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I read a previous post that "A pack" S 85 cars would be grandfathered in for free supercharging. What is an "a battery pack"? Are there other S 85 cars that are not grandfathered in?

I just bought a 2013 S P85. It have not yet registered it in my name and will be the second owner. So far I'm able to supercharge for free. I haven't yet registered the car with Tesla but it has received at least one software update since I've had it. Is there any downside to registering it with Tesla? Might they take away the original owner's free SuperCharging if i re-register it with Tesla Motors in my name as a second owner? Looove the car so far, BTW.

It's my understanding that the older vehicles got lifetime access to free supercharging tied to the vin. Newer ones have it tied to the owner I think.

I also believe that if a car gets sold back to Tesla like a trade in Tesla will strip the free surcharging?

Be warned that older vehicles have their supercharging speeds throttled.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
I read a previous post that "A pack" S 85 cars would be grandfathered in for free supercharging. What is an "a battery pack"?
The "A" is just the part revision. The pack part number has a bunch of numbers, followed by -A. A revised version of the pack ends in -B, -C, etc. Generally an A-version is the first version of whatever that part is. So a car with an A-pack is still on its original battery, and was one of the earlier batteries made. Of course, it could also be an original pack that had failed and was refurbished and then replaced a different failed pack, I don't know if Tesla gives refurb packs a new part code or not.

Nothing to be worried about in either event, you will find various theories on here about which pack revisions are better or worse than others, but it seems to be all uninformed speculation to me.

Thanks for the replies. Are there any DIS-advantages of registering the car with Tesla? or NOT registering it with Tesla? Everything seems to be working normally and as far as I know the car is still registered with Tesla by its original owner.

If you don't register it, I don't think the app will work, plus you need a Tesla account for everything like service or recall notices as far as I know. I can't think of a reason you wouldn't want to; you bought it from the previous owner and all the early cars even into 2016/17 have free unlimited Supercharging that goes with the car. I think it's only if you buy from Tesla CPO that you might have to purchase things like Autopilot or maybe get changed to pay-per-use Supercharging, but in return you get a warranty again.

As above - you can't use the app if you don't have the car registered, the app is one of the best bits of the car (pre-heating/cooling, charge start/stopping, monitoring your supercharging while you sip a latte, booking in for service etc.) so you definitely want this. Also, Tesla will email/notify you about recalls etc. as they have your contact details.
If you want to connect to TeslaFi or other logging software you also need your account.
They definitely won't take away your free supercharging, it's tied to the car (I also bought private sale a couple of years ago and it's pretty simple to register and I have my free supercharging)
Tom

• Informative