Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grandfathered in to free supercharging and connectivity after upgrading?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I reserved in 2016 ($1000) and placed my order on June 2018 ($2500) for an AWD model 3.

On 8/30 I edited the design and upgraded to a performance model.

Do I get grandfathered in for free supercharging and premium connectivity for life as my order was confirmed before the cutoff date?

Premium connectivity, yes.

I was told that you need to enter a referral code for the free supercharger, though.

Maybe someone who did this and took delivery already can confirm.

If you ordered before 8/1 you get free lifetime supercharging on the Performance. No need for referral code.

However i can’t answer the OP question about changing the order and still getting the free lifetime charging.

My referral code is still active and here is what it says

"Related vehicle order must be placed between May 19, 2017 and September 16, 2018. Owners who reach each level of referral orders after July 31, 2018 will be eligible for updated vehicle awards above. Related solar energy system order must be placed between September 28, 2017 and September 16, 2018. Referred vehicle orders must be delivered and solar energy system must be installed to qualify for awards. Used vehicles are not eligible. Model 3 orders are not eligible with the exception of Model 3 Performance. All Model 3 Performance orders placed before August 1, 2018 will be given unlimited Supercharging, no referral required. Solar Roof is not eligible for the extended limited warranty. Limit of 5 referrals per owner. Referral code must be applied at the time of order and cannot be added after the order has been placed. Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership. Referral codes may be shared and applied in any country where Model S, Model X, Model 3 Performance and Tesla solar energy systems are available, in accordance with local terms and conditions. Credits are valid for 12 months from the referral vehicle delivery date or solar installation date and can be used toward services, vehicle accessories, or new Tesla products. Credits can not be applied against solar lease or power purchase agreement payments.

Must be at least 18 years old to be eligible for awards. Awards are non-transferable and not redeemable for cash. The customer is responsible for all taxes and local requirements and fees. Customers are responsible for their own travel and accommodations unless otherwise specified. Program and awards are conditional on and subject to local laws and regulations. Unfortunately, Ohio and Virginia residents are not eligible for Model S, Model X and Model 3 Performance program awards, but are eligible for Solar awards in all locations where Tesla currently installs solar.

The customer may not be an employee, legal representative or partner of Tesla or any Affiliate of Tesla. Nothing in the Referral Program shall be deemed to create any kind of relationship between the referrer and Tesla or any of Tesla’s Affiliates. The referrer has no authority to represent or bind Tesla. Terms and conditions are subject to change."

Honestly I would just put a referral code on there just to be on the safe side. That way there is no question about free super charging. If you need one let me know cause no one I know is going to be getting a performance model so they are going to go unused.

I haven't found a direct answer to this question either. I am considering upgrading my AWD to a P model but I just haven't been able to fully justify it yet personally. It really doesn't make that big of a difference but it is a nice perk.

I went back and forth for a while too but here's how I financially justified upgrading our AWD to a AWD Performance (just the $11k upgrade). Wife acceptance factor = high, once she saw this itemization. :)
2018-09-02_16-57-13.jpg

financially justified upgrading our AWD to a AWD Performance
Make sure you understand that Unlimted Supercharging earned by a referral code (purchases of M3 Performance from 8/1/18 to 9/16/18) are not transferrable.

Per the disclaimer....
“Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership.”

If that was factored into your higher resale, you need to take that out.

Agreed. I’ll probably call on Tuesday to double check.

JavaLemonade, Tesla owes me for wrecking my first Model S during delivery and for other deliveries. I am sure they will be happy to apply my code to your order, as a retroactive exception/ favor to me. It was done for my friend under similar circumstances. Hit me up ASAP (kachilives at google mail) and I'll talk to my sales manager. Good luck!

• Disagree
Reactions: Amit519
Make sure you understand that Unlimted Supercharging earned by a referral code (purchases of M3 Performance from 8/1/18 to 9/16/18) are not transferrable.

Per the disclaimer....
“Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership.”

If that was factored into your higher resale, you need to take that out.

Good point. I specifically asked if Tesla polices that and I was told no. Time will tell and others here probably have real-world experience with that. Regardless, that amount isn't a large portion of the potential resale value of the Performance anyways. Each person should apply a different $ amount, depending on how aggressively they want to justify the cost to themselves. ;)

I really want to justify the P but I personally can’t take the plunge unless I get the performance upgrade package as well. I can’t imagine spending all that money just to end up with aeros. I think that I will use supercharging but in not sure I’ll ever pull 4K worth of value out of it like your estimating, however I do like the idea of “free” supercharging.

Just went through this. Upgraded my order to a Performance model. Talked to management at a store and told them I'm interested in upgrading to a P, but want to make sure before I do it that:

1. I get the price before the increase on paint
2. Lifetime connectivity/supercharging
3. I can apply my own code

Management said they needed to get a hold of people at Fremont to make sure, they did and everything worked out.

My LA service advisor could only get me #2, connectivity/supercharging based on my original June order date. Could not allow me to use my referral code after editing my order to the 3P

I've emailed Tesla but it's impossible to get a response.

My LA service advisor could only get me #2, connectivity/supercharging based on my original June order date. Could not allow me to use my referral code after editing my order to the 3P

I've emailed Tesla but it's impossible to get a response.

Not sure what to say. #1 and #3 are doable as they did it for me. I've been told by some people that referral codes are easy to add. People have said they've added a code on the day of delivery.