TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Grandfathered in to free supercharging and connectivity after upgrading?

Discussion in 'Model 3: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by JavaLemonade, Sep 1, 2018.

1. JavaLemonade

JavaLemonade Member

I reserved in 2016 ($1000) and placed my order on June 2018 ($2500) for an AWD model 3.

On 8/30 I edited the design and upgraded to a performance model.

Do I get grandfathered in for free supercharging and premium connectivity for life as my order was confirmed before the cutoff date?

2. Stacks

Stacks Member

Premium connectivity, yes.

I was told that you need to enter a referral code for the free supercharger, though.

Maybe someone who did this and took delivery already can confirm.

3. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

If you ordered before 8/1 you get free lifetime supercharging on the Performance. No need for referral code.

However i can’t answer the OP question about changing the order and still getting the free lifetime charging.

4. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I haven't found a direct answer to this question either. I am considering upgrading my AWD to a P model but I just haven't been able to fully justify it yet personally. It really doesn't make that big of a difference but it is a nice perk.

• Like x 1
  5. JavaLemonade

JavaLemonade Member

Agreed. I’ll probably call on Tuesday to double check.

6. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Since the Referral promotion is still going on, I would focus on getting a referral code added to your order when you upgrade to Performance. Get proof of that because there’s no way to tell on your reservation page that it’s on there.

• Like x 1
  7. TechSavvyWife

TechSavvyWife Member

My referral code is still active and here is what it says

Honestly I would just put a referral code on there just to be on the safe side. That way there is no question about free super charging. If you need one let me know cause no one I know is going to be getting a performance model so they are going to go unused.

• Disagree x 2
  8. heytae

heytae Member

I went back and forth for a while too but here's how I financially justified upgrading our AWD to a AWD Performance (just the $11k upgrade). Wife acceptance factor = high, once she saw this itemization. :)
    2018-09-02_16-57-13.jpg

• Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  9. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

Make sure you understand that Unlimted Supercharging earned by a referral code (purchases of M3 Performance from 8/1/18 to 9/16/18) are not transferrable.

Per the disclaimer....
    “Free unlimited Supercharging will only apply to the original vehicle owner and only for the duration of original vehicle ownership.”

If that was factored into your higher resale, you need to take that out.

10. Dozi

Dozi Member

JavaLemonade, Tesla owes me for wrecking my first Model S during delivery and for other deliveries. I am sure they will be happy to apply my code to your order, as a retroactive exception/ favor to me. It was done for my friend under similar circumstances. Hit me up ASAP (kachilives at google mail) and I'll talk to my sales manager. Good luck!

• Disagree x 1
  11. heytae

heytae Member

Good point. I specifically asked if Tesla polices that and I was told no. Time will tell and others here probably have real-world experience with that. Regardless, that amount isn't a large portion of the potential resale value of the Performance anyways. Each person should apply a different $ amount, depending on how aggressively they want to justify the cost to themselves. ;)

12. MikeATL

MikeATL Member

I justified Performance on the assumption that I would get a lot of Value from Supercharging but also future enhancements might only be available to that level of Software (though I didn’t get the Performance Upgrade Package so I won’t get Track Mode, but I think I’ll survive.)

• Like x 1
  13. jsrawa

jsrawa Member

I really want to justify the P but I personally can’t take the plunge unless I get the performance upgrade package as well. I can’t imagine spending all that money just to end up with aeros. I think that I will use supercharging but in not sure I’ll ever pull 4K worth of value out of it like your estimating, however I do like the idea of “free” supercharging.

14. CallmeTony

CallmeTony Member

Just went through this. Upgraded my order to a Performance model. Talked to management at a store and told them I'm interested in upgrading to a P, but want to make sure before I do it that:

1. I get the price before the increase on paint
    2. Lifetime connectivity/supercharging
    3. I can apply my own code

Management said they needed to get a hold of people at Fremont to make sure, they did and everything worked out.

15. 987S4

987S4 Member

My LA service advisor could only get me #2, connectivity/supercharging based on my original June order date. Could not allow me to use my referral code after editing my order to the 3P

I've emailed Tesla but it's impossible to get a response.

16. CallmeTony

CallmeTony Member

Not sure what to say. #1 and #3 are doable as they did it for me. I've been told by some people that referral codes are easy to add. People have said they've added a code on the day of delivery.