Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grandma's Marathon = Supercharger Congestion Duluth/Hinckley, MN?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Grandma's Marathon is this weekend. When I run races in the Minneapolis area, I see a very disproportionate number of Teslas owned by other runners. I suspect there will be quite a few Tesla's making their way from the Twin Cities to Duluth, most of them leaving Friday afternoon and most of them returning home Saturday afternoon.

I am wondering if there may finally be Supercharger congestion in Hinckley, and I am sure there will be in Duluth.

To make things even "worse," the Duluth Supercharger has only 4 stalls and is at a hotel that I assume will be full. There could be icing. Additionally, the charging station in Canal Park, with a few J1772's and a Chademo, will be closed, pretty sure, for the race.

Although waiting as a SC is never great, it is going to be a welcome sign of the times if Hinckley has a wait...8 DCFC is a relatively rural area, all being used simultaneously.

To make things even "worse," the Duluth Supercharger has only 4 stalls and is at a hotel that I assume will be full. There could be icing.

The Duluth SC has cones that you must move in order to park in those spots. Someone would have to be VERY bold to ICE one of those spots.

Although waiting as a SC is never great, it is going to be a welcome sign of the times if Hinckley has a wait...8 DCFC is a relatively rural area, all being used simultaneously.

You want a wait in a weird place... Go to the Tesla rally in Custer, SD then travel south the day after and you could get stuck waiting in line in Lusk, Wyoming (pop. < 2000) as many others leaving the rally are also headed in that direction. 4 stalls in the parking lot of a tiny motel. :) I had that experience myself 2 years ago as that was the first place in the entire country where I ever had to wait to use a Supercharger.

The Duluth SC has cones that you must move in order to park in those spots. Someone would have to be VERY bold to ICE one of those spots.

You want a wait in a weird place... Go to the Tesla rally in Custer, SD then travel south the day after and you could get stuck waiting in line in Lusk, Wyoming (pop. < 2000) as many others leaving the rally are also headed in that direction. 4 stalls in the parking lot of a tiny motel. :) I had that experience myself 2 years ago as that was the first place in the entire country where I ever had to wait to use a Supercharger.

Rapid City and Murdo were the challenging parts of the trip this year. Both are four stalls, Murdo had reduced power and Rapid City had one dead stall. 3 charging and 3 waiting while I was in Rapid City.

960B4BB7-1C39-4C18-A0C6-E7FDC44EA31D.jpeg