Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Granny charger adapter/3 pin plug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I used the granny charger for a couple of months before I had my commando socket installed, and it was perfectly adequate. On most days I could charge from 7.00pm to 7.00am which added over 100 miles range - more than enough for my daily needs. I still use it (with a 15m extension lead) when I’m staying at a remote farmhouse in Snowdonia.

A related, but slightly different question: I am currently only charging via 3-pin whilst I wait for my proper charger to be installed... And one thing I have noticed is that, even when scheduling the departure, I still get very poor regenerative braking (and a message explaining as much).

The cabin seems OK (ie not too cold). But the battery is clearly not warm enough.

Is this simply down to the low power of the 3-pin, and is something I will have to live with?

Charging warms the battery, or the car warms the battery for safe charging. However for very low power charging, not so much, so with 3 pin, late charging has very little effect.

2 pin plugs fit UK plugs without an adaptor.
Just use a wooden lolly stick to open the release for the live / neutral in the top hole....

I lived in the UAE for a few years and this was the norm as they also have UK sockets but a lot of appliances are shipped with EU plugs. Or you can get a really cheap flat plastic piece that opens it for you...

EPf9CQKu6krG6vB5A
Google Image Result for https://thingiverse-production-new.s3.amazonaws.com/assets/c9/03/30/5b/89/IMG_20170613_090906.jpg

o_O Well of course ... and you can push bare wires in there too if you've no plug at all (please don't) ... but only if you are in a life and death situation where you are in the midst of a global catastrophe and there's no other option or your family will starve or be eaten by zombies. Whilst I appreciate that we do indeed have a global catastrophe at the moment there is absolutely no way that anyone should be contemplating poking plastic into UK sockets so that the live connectors become exposed!!:eek::eek::eek: I know we are all going to die someday but this just looks like a good way of bringing forward that outcome!

I used the granny charger for a couple of months before I had my commando socket installed, and it was perfectly adequate. On most days I could charge from 7.00pm to 7.00am which added over 100 miles range - more than enough for my daily needs. I still use it (with a 15m extension lead) when I’m staying at a remote farmhouse in Snowdonia.

do you have a link to the extension? Looking for a suitable one as car is coming before the charger unfortunatley

I think that you will find that the UMC 13A plug will not reliably fit that enclosure. Its a big and rigid plug/cable.

Try 13A weatherproof extension lead (compatible with all EVs) ideally with inline RCD (plug version will not fit many sockets) and if you don't already have one, a socket tester 13A UK socket tester

The one I've got does fit the Tesla plug actually, I just had to cut down the rubber a little but it's still so tight/hard to fasten that I would imagine it's still splash proof, possibly even more so that's 'better' fitting (ie not as tight).

do you have a link to the extension? Looking for a suitable one as car is coming before the charger unfortunatley

Yes: I have been using the ones that @VanillaAir_UK also mentioned (from ToughLeads)... I think mine is 15m, and my neighbours is 20m. Both of us have the inline RCD option.
Works a treat.
And my charging point installation just got delayed by COVID-19 (it was booked in on 7th May, but is now not considered Essential Work, so who knows when it will come. Or if I will lose the £150 OLEV grant).
Thankfully the Granny Charger is working fine.