Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Graph of Consumption vs. Speed ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It did heat while driving without mapping to a SC once, but I assume it was a fluke since it’s never happened again. It might happen in extreme circumstances, but even when the car disables regen entirely it hasn’t heated for me yet while driving so I think that’s a no for temps above 10F or so. Turn keep climate on and exit the car, and since V10 it will start heating a few seconds after closing the door. There’s a distinct high frequency buzz from the front drive unit, the rear isn’t as pronounced. So that can be a big hidden consumer for people that aren’t used to it. You can come back 30 minutes later to a car with a warm battery and a moderate SOC hit. The car is total crap at heating while driving, so I assume it’s not likely they would want to do that unless the electrolyte is near freezing.

And as a side note, the efficiency with a cold battery isn’t so noticeable if you drive super slow. I assume the losses under regen with a cold battery are moderate, since repeated regen warms the pack up a bit if you have the space to ride the speed down slow. And under high discharge power the losses appear to be quite a bit, so presumably this is also having some non zero impact on the energy consumption as well as the regen percent even under lighter loads.

Last edited: