Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Graphs of common devices energy use. YMMV.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Sophias_dad

Supporting Member
Jul 29, 2018
Massachusetts
Thought these might come in handy to someone..

The first is my Genie Excelerator garage door opener. 5 watts continuous, 45w when the lights are on, jumping to 220w(aka 2 amps) when the door is being opened, and only 115w(1 amp) when its closing. Note that this is on a single-wide garage door, and the Excelerator opens at double the rate of typical openers and is screw-drive, which probably also has an effect. In any case, because these loads are very short-lived and small, a garage door opener can be completely ignored for charging purposes.

The second is my Electrolux front-load washer going through a typical cycle. Other than a couple very short spikes to 1100 watts(10 amps), the longest sustained load is ~400 watts(3.5 amps). The width of the widest spike is only 5 seconds. I'd call this a 4 amp load and ignore the spikes, if I were figuring out my panel loads.

The third is a standard ~20 year old Kenmore dishwasher. It's interesting to see the various phases of operation. There's a sub-second spike to well over the circuit's breaker rating(!), followed by three sections where the pump is running, each followed by a short section where the drain pump is running(and gradually decreasing at the end of its run as the draining completes!), and finally the heater settles in at ~550 watts. I'm not sure if the heater runs during the earlier pumping sections. The blue line is watt-hours consumed overall, and it ends at almost exactly 1000wh, or in my case, $0.25 per load.

I hope someone finds this useful.

Attachments

• genie.jpg
    genie.jpg
    346 KB · Views: 65
  • clothes_washer.jpg
    clothes_washer.jpg
    268.4 KB · Views: 50
  • dishwasher.jpg
    dishwasher.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 49
Do that same exercise for your air conditioner...betting that takes the cake...
I'm sure it would be a frequent 10 amps or better, but about nine years ago we switched from four window units to a three ton Carrier Greenspeed air source heat pump that takes less energy to make the entire house cool or warm and I don't have to move super-awkward window AC's to the attic and back every summer.

Reactions: Dmagyar