Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grasshopper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another source confirming Grasshoppers launch last Friday. Should be seeing a tweet from Elon anytime now. Probably after the battery swap though he doesn't like to one up his companies.
june14grasshopper.JPG

SpaceX needs to do a launchpad abort test. That is scheduled for 2014 I think. That involves actually launching a rocket, then while rising, do a manual abort with the Dragon Capsule.

It will shoot up and to the side to get clear of the main first and second stage of the Falcon Rocket. Then the Dragon will land with parachutes in the Atlantic Ocean.

Did they ever do that live test on an actual launch for Gemini or Apollo? (And the Shuttle couldn't abort of course.)

- - - Updated - - -

Wow that is Buck Rogers stuff!

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that was incredibly impressive.

Truly. I think one of the most exciting things about these grasshopper experiments is not the taking off and landings, which is unbelievably cool to watch, but the reusability factor. SpaceX is not remaking this rocket from scratch every time they do one of these tests. That is exactly what happens with every single launch to space for SpaceX and every other company putting stuff into orbit. That is the fundamentally remarkable thing being achieved with this. The fact they are turning this craft around in just one month time frame to do the next test is ground breaking. I really hope they succeed at this.

Lunar Lander: MAME emulator video

That's doesn't do the real LL any justice. But this does :-

LLTMC1_zps226a3e5a.jpg

LLTMC3_zpse9d76571.jpg

LLTMC7_zpsc6b58dab.jpg

LLTMC2_zps7a91514a.jpg

LLTMC5_zps724040d8.jpg

I fondly remember playing Lunar Lander in arcades back in the day (1979 !) as well as endless early home computer versions, and eventually tracked down a real one about 15 yrs ago. Its mint and 100% reliable 34 yrs later !

Sadly, MAME emulators cannot replicate the intensity and smooth line drawing of a real vector beam on a CRT, and anyone young'ish who plays it is usually very surprised at the how good the original machines display is when compared to their mame set up on their PC / iphone / flat screen etc. "Asteroids" is probably the best example of this, because watching your spaceship blasting rocks on the real vector monitor produces an intensely bright explosion that's almost painful on the retina !

The huge meaty thrust controller is well weighted and nicely spring loaded. The loud bassy thrust noises make the whole machine vibrate, and you almost feel like you're landing for real.

Meanwhile, back to Space-X ;-)

Last edited: