Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gravel in the brake callipers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all - I tried searching for the symptoms of this issue last night on the road side, no joy. So it seems worth mentioning here.

We have a new Model 3, just over 200 miles on the clock. Last night after pulling over on a single lane country road to let another car pass, we started getting a grinding noise from the left wheels. Visual inspection by touch light showed nothing. Brakes etc all still worked fine, we continued gently for a mile to a village with street lights, again nothing obvious by visual inspection. Reverse made a far more screeching noise, and putting a passenger outside confirmed it was from the rear left wheel.

I called Tesla, and got put though to their emergency response team (there is probably a direct number for this which I ought to bookmark in my phone), and after waiting about 15 minutes (with small child getting increasingly bored) spoke to an advisor.

They agreed with my guess that it was a stone or gravel between the brake disk and the callipers, and said it was a common problem on the Model 3. They suggested if I could find a large carpark doing figure of eights and exercising the breaks periodically should help dislodge the stone - pretty sure the call was routed to the USA, we don't have many carparks in the UK where that would be possible.

They reassured me that as long as the brakes worked, don't drive a hundred miles, but the moderate distance home would be fine, and if the stone was still stuck, take the car to a tyre place to have the wheel off, and then the stone could be removed with a screwdriver. I was told the stone would not cause excessive wear to the brakes.

We opted to take minor roads home, and I deliberately put the left wheels on as many small bumps and pot holes as possible - after a mile there was a ping noise and grinding/screeching noise stopped. Hooray.

This happened to me when leaving the Summer Isles Hotel during our October trip round the north of Scotland. I had an awful screeching for around ten seconds and was about to stop to check when it simply went away.

Never had this in any other car but it could be more obvious in a quiet car without engine noises. No scratches are obvious on the disks but could be at the rear of them.

Last edited:
I’ve been driving for over 40 years and a stone in the brakes has happened only three times - twice in the Model 3 in 14 months and one other time in the other 39 years in probably over 20 cars. It could be just bad luck, but...

"The 1970s classic is generally regarded as one of the finest of all British cars, particularly on account of its handling, but hasn’t been in production since 1982."

Er....that's not the car I remember. The only selling point was an unsquare steering wheel! :p

EDIT, just noticed the date!

Scary experience this morning... Was on my way to the drive thru McDonalds this morning (was out of the usually Breakfast supplies so decided to treat myself to a Sausage and Egg McMuffin meal), its only a mile from my house I was half way there when suddenly I started hearing a massive scrapping noise, which I can only describe as sounded like a piece of the body work had fallen off and I was dragging it along the road. Quickly pulled over and did an inspection (in the dark so difficult to do a proper inspection), but could not find any offending body work missing and checked to make sure the under tray protection was not falling off or something had hitched a ride to the underside of my car, to be safe and not cause any further potential damage I decided to turn around and limp my way home.

About half way home the offending noise suddenly stopped and normal near silent service resumed. Was going to go out to do a more thorough check once it got light, but now the snow has arrived so its pointless me going out at the mo. It sounds like reading the OP it might be a stone that got caught in the breaks, fingers crossed no lasting damage has been done.

That sounds like the actions of a desperate man!

(The only reason i can think of to go into such places is when desperate for a toilet and no alternatives available..).

Ha, the alternative (which I ended up having for breakfast) was a couple of sticks of celery and peanut butter so yes I was desperate. TBH, I really rate McDonalds coffees, the rest of their offerings are not the best

Ha, the alternative (which I ended up having for breakfast) was a couple of sticks of celery and peanut butter so yes I was desperate. TBH, I really rate McDonalds coffees, the rest of their offerings are not the best

I wouldn't know..against my principles to pay for take-out coffee.

Surely your not so young as to not have some basics in the house - flour, butter/spread/oil a potato/rice/pasta, some spices and some canned goods (chick peas, canned kdney beans, mixed beans) even if you don't own a freezer. - Johnny cakes, potato pancakes, falafel, peanut butter biscuits, bean burgers all possible with the above and little effort.....Add dried goods - assorted nut types, lentils (the dull greeny/yellow one's), stock cubes, brown/white sugars and your well on the way ....