Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gravel-ish sound from wheels

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This is my first Tesla so I'm a noob.

I am not sure if this is an issue or not, that is why I am posting here to see if anyone else has this sound.

When at low speeds, either reverse or forward, there is a gravel-type sound coming from the wheel area. Like I am driving on a gravel road. It's not a clunk or metal sound. I think it might be the regen brakes but this sound does not happen at high speeds.

I first noticed it when I had the window open when backing up. If I get the message that regen braking is diminished then I usually don't get the sound(I do need to test this more to be 100% positive) Been getting the regen diminished message a lot when the car has been sitting for more than 20 minutes.

Any thoughts?

i see you are in portland. (Rainy). Does this only occur the first time you move the car after washing it or after having driven in rain the day before? If so, surface rust on the rotor can cause this. Usually disappears after applying the brakes as the pads remove the surface rust in seconds

No, its been dry since I got it so its definitely not water. I'll post a video of the sound soon. I just tested with roll/creep/hold and it does it on each setting. Checked the net and its nothing like the sounds people have been posting on.

Here is the sound
20210120_140322.mp4

Edit: It does this on any surface so I know its not the surface I am on causing it.

Last edited:
No, its been dry since I got it so its definitely not water. I'll post a video of the sound soon. I just tested with roll/creep/hold and it does it on each setting. Checked the net and its nothing like the sounds people have been posting on.

Here is the sound
20210120_140322.mp4

Edit: It does this on any surface so I know its not the surface I am on causing it.

Wow, something is wrong!

If your Model Y has the 19" Gemini wheels then the sound may be caused by the wheel caps rubbing against the wheels.
Take off the wheel caps and see if the sound will disappear.

This is exactly what it was. I just got off the phone with Service and they suggested I take off the hubcaps and boom, no more sound. Glad its nothing dangerous but I do hope over time the sound goes away.