Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gravel road vs PLAID! Bummer

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What does a full paint job cost? For $7,500 not sure I'm going to wrap.
That varies too but a high quality paint job is a lot more than $7,500. Full car Expel Ultimate Plus here in Tucson is <$5000. I got it on my 2021 pre-refresh and absolutely loved it. When I sold it because the Plaid was arriving I have no doubt it affected the final price due to 100% perfect paint with no chips or scratches anywhere. I am now a believer and am doing it again next week.

Reactions: GroovaEV
Personally, I don't see how PPE can hold off the rock gashes coming from the front tires. Has anyone tried to modify a pre-refresh Model S mud flaps?

How many Plaids have been sold YTD? Seems like they all need flaps no matter what roads you drive on. Especially at speed. Should be a market out there for mud flaps for the front tires.

Is this a Plaid only problem?

Personally, I don't see how PPE can hold off the rock gashes coming from the front tires. Has anyone tried to modify a pre-refresh Model S mud flaps?

How many Plaids have been sold YTD? Seems like they all need flaps no matter what roads you drive on. Especially at speed. Should be a market out there for mud flaps for the front tires.

No

My passenger door got hit with a rock the size of a baseball. I heard the impact and immediately saw the rock bouncing away. No clue where it came from. It punched a dime sized hole through my ppf and took the paint off to the metal. So now I’m stuck having to get the ppf removed and somehow paint repaired. Almost seems like more hassle now having the ppf. Next vehicle i will likely do a partial ppf instead of full vehicle.

I've got a set from tesla's site and they pop right in, you don't need to modify them. And they work well, except they do rub on bumps when driving in the low suspension setting. You could trim them up a bit, but I don't care because it doesn't hurt anything when they rub the ground. And at $50, when they wear out, I'll just toss them and order a new set.

I also have full-body ppf because the road debris/dirt/rocks is horrendous in the desert. At a minimum if you do ppf, you need to get the rocker panels, and a large area in front of the rear wheels where the debris from the front wheels hit.

* whoops sorry, they're only $40. https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-mud-flaps

Last edited:
Reactions: Bull
My passenger door got hit with a rock the size of a baseball. I heard the impact and immediately saw the rock bouncing away. No clue where it came from. It punched a dime sized hole through my ppf and took the paint off to the metal. So now I’m stuck having to get the ppf removed and somehow paint repaired. Almost seems like more hassle now having the ppf. Next vehicle i will likely do a partial ppf instead of full vehicle.
ppf isn't going to stop things like this, it never was designed to do that. What you don't see though, are the thousands of small nicks that your ppf has stopped.

Reactions: aerodyne and Bull
ppf isn't going to stop things like this, it never was designed to do that. What you don't see though, are the thousands of small nicks that your ppf has stopped.
Absolutely. Point being there’s no way to completely prevent damage. I regretted not ppf’ing my prior vehicle so I got the plaid completely. My next one I’ll likely do partial ppf in the high impact areas.

I've got a set from tesla's site and they pop right in, you don't need to modify them. And they work well, except they do rub on bumps when driving in the low suspension setting. You could trim them up a bit, but I don't care because it doesn't hurt anything when they rub the ground. And at $50, when they wear out, I'll just toss them and order a new set.

I also have full-body ppf because the road debris/dirt/rocks is horrendous in the desert. At a minimum if you do ppf, you need to get the rocker panels, and a large area in front of the rear wheels where the debris from the front wheels hit.

* whoops sorry, they're only $40. https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-s-mud-flaps
Hi Sam1, Thanks for the tip. Just a quick clarification, is your car an updated 2021+ S or Plaid? The Tesla site says they won't fit the newer body style.

Thank you.

Reactions: Sam1
Hi Sam1, Thanks for the tip. Just a quick clarification, is your car an updated 2021+ S or Plaid? The Tesla site says they won't fit the newer body style.

Thank you.
It's a plaid, Tesla's site says 2021+ cars. You can see at the bottom of this screenshot.

Not sure if you had an older S and maybe the product selection is referring you back to an old version based on your vehicle list.
Screenshot_20221230-200727.png