Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gray exterior with Tan seats ?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,
Does anyone have this combination?
Gray exterior
Tan leather seats
White alcantera headliner.

I was leaning towards gray interior but my kids suggested tan.
I'm not sure that goes together.

Does anyone own this config?
Can you post a picture ?
Thanks

I have the (original color gray) Dolphin gray with Tan Leather seats.
And I think it looks great.
The new gray is a tone darker, but I still like it and think it goes well with the Tan leather.

I don't have the alcantera headliner, but I have the original tan fabric.

Might want to listen to your kids on this one....:biggrin:

Which finish for the dash are you looking to specify?
Maybe you wait until you configure your seats and headliner.

I went to a gallery to look at the physical samples, which made making the final selections much easier.

Enjoy your shopping for finishes.

I will give you some opinions regarding your question.

My two favorite colors that are available today are the MC Red and the new Grey.

My wife and I and another couple spent some time at the TESLA showroom going over color combos using
the hand held samples and then looking at real cars in those combos....

Here is our opinion.

1) the grey interior in leather is very light and almost looks too light and white. Especially with the black
trim of the interior. We saw a grey S with the grey interior and white alcantar headliner... What you have
there is a 3 toned interior. All four of us said no to this combo. If you are dead set on the grey interior,
I would opt for the black headliner to go from a 3 tone to 2 tone interior.

2) the grey exterior is elegant and looks good in the sun and darker in the shade. There are some blueish
to purpleish hues or fleck in it A sophisticated color for sure. We ask if there was an S with the grey and tan
and there was in the customer pickup lot. We were able to see this car. The tan seats with matte obeche wood
and Grey exterior with black alcantara just look very very nice as a unit. Probably a combo all 4 of us would want.
this car had the 21" dark grey wheels... nice.

3) We also saw an S with Gray exterior and black interior with carbon fibre and black headliner. Again nice but
dark, we all felt this is too monotone... perhaps some wood would soften it up.

4) We saw an MC Red S with tan interior, black headliner and obeche gloss trim. This is a two tone interior again.
Very nice combo indeed and perhaps the favorite of all of us however, not as sophisticated.

When you are playing options in the Design Studio, focus in on the driver pillar as you change headliners.
You can see the three tone and two tone differences. Also the grey interior is quite a few shades lighter that
the design studio depicts it to be.

As an aside, the Grey exterior wants the grey wheels and the silver fan wheels in 19 or 21 kind of are shocking
and disrupt the flow lines of the S's look.... play with the
design studio to see what I refer to. Use the side view of the car to see this effect.

I am hoping that by the time I order my S, there will be some new colors and maybe a darker tan color interior
and grey 19" fan wheels (however you can get these in aftermarket).

Never an easy task.... but please you have to see the grey interior in person. It is very light in all of our opinions.
everyone has opinions, yours is the one that counts...

BTW, I think Rice390 just took delivery of a P85D in Grey with Tan Interior and black headliner and dark grey 21"s .... If memory serves.

Last edited:
I have the (original color gray) Dolphin gray with Tan Leather seats.
And I think it looks great.
The new gray is a tone darker, but I still like it and think it goes well with the Tan leather.

I don't have the alcantera headliner, but I have the original tan fabric.

Might want to listen to your kids on this one....:biggrin:

Which finish for the dash are you looking to specify?
Maybe you wait until you configure your seats and headliner.

I went to a gallery to look at the physical samples, which made making the final selections much easier.

Enjoy your shopping for finishes.

i think I'm set on the gray exterior with tan seats.

Should or could I get the white alcantera with that combo?

Is the dashboard always black regardless ?

Would the dash always have leather and alcantera trim on it?
thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Also how do you choose the dashboard finish?
thx

Hi,
Gray exterior
Tan leather seats

Can you post a picture ?
Thanks

I have the new gray and tan leather... Black dash and panels makes some separation between the tan and gray, so it really does work well.

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thx

I think the black piano dash is handsome, but I opted for the obeche gloss.
In my opinion, either the obeche gloss or matte finishes are nice and provide a bit of tie-in color with the Tan Leather.
Top of dash is black, the vertical face of the dash insert can be piano black, obeche or carbon fiber.
The lower portion of the dash and glove box cover on my car is Tan leather/faux leather.

As I previously stated, before I ordered my car, I went to Austin's gallery (closest gallery open at the time) to look at the finishes.
It made the selection process a lot easier, as each of the various samples can be combined right there in the gallery, and you can carry them over to the model car on the floor.

I think the alcantera has a bit of tan color in it also, as it is not a true "white".
There now is also a black alcantera for folks that like a dark interior.

I believe there are at least a couple of stores or galleries near you in Connecticut or Massachusetts.
If you have a chance to visit either those or a service center, you will have a chance to visually mix and match finishes, and see a variety of cars that have been built.

thanks

- - - Updated - - -

thx

The white Alcantera will result in a 3 tone interior. If you like that fine. A 2 tone interior can be had with the black Alcantera. Use the design center to see the difference. Pay attention to the drivers side post to see the 2 tone vs 3 tone.

The upper dashboard will always be dark and if you choose Alcantera as the headliner the front edge of the upper dash is in dark Alcantera.

Again you can see this in the Design Center, pay close attention to the dash as you change headliner to / from Alcantera.

ArtInCT,
Thank you for the helpful information. I have a Grey/Grey on order and am checking into it to see if I can still get the black headliner. Your "eye" and comments were helpful, and the voting resultsby four of you was as well. Thanks again.

Hi,
Gray exterior
Tan leather seats

Can you post a picture ?
Thanks

I have this config and am very happy with it. Goes together perfectly. The white headliner is more beige than white to me and looks to match the seats quite well. I like the light interior. However, I saw a photo of tan leather with a black alcantara headliner and it looked great. Not sure if I would have changed if I saw it in the flesh.

I have the original Dolphin Grey with Tan interior (standard headliner). I love the combination and wouldn't change a thing :)
IMG_3572.jpg