Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gray or Tan interior for Performance Version?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

swegman

Mar 27, 2012
Called Tesla today to finalize my car. Selected White exterior perfomance model with gray interior. I selected gray because the cream piping on the performance seats match the headliner color and is close to the white exterior color. The Tesla rep suggested that I change the gray interior to tan. His reasoning is that the gray makes the car look my "antiquey" (his word), whereas the tan makes the car look more sporty. He also said that as the gray wears, it will look bad, whereas the tan will look "graceful" (again, his word). I am going with carbon fiber (CF) trim, and gray wheels.

I've never had a car with a gray interior. I like the tan on the regular model, but am concerned that the gray piping on the tan leather will clash with the car, as there is no gray in the car. The cream piping on the gray leather matches the headliner. So, what do people think about the color coordination and possible wear factor. Should I change from gray to tan? If I were getting the regular version, I would select the tan leather. My concern is the piping color on the performance version. Any decorators here?

Thanks.

The Tesla rep suggested that I change the gray interior to tan. His reasoning is that the gray makes the car look my "antiquey" (his word), whereas the tan makes the car look more sporty. .

the Tesla rep was smoking crack. he has it completely opposite... the tan is more "classy" and old-school, the grey is extremely modern and sporty.

AND i chose grey because it wears better than tan. again the opposite of what that rep said. i have had grey leather in my Prius for 4 years and it still looks brand new. tan leather in my Highlander? not so much...

i also chose grey because of the monochromatic study of contrasts it sets up. White, off-white, chrome, silver, grey, carbon, black. the tan just looked out of place. the black leather interior? too dark... doesn't show off lines as well.

don't worry, swegman, whenever our cars get here we won't second-guess for a second!

i mean seriously, how can anyone say the pic below isn't the definition of "sporty"?!? looks straight out of a sci-fi film...

attachment.php?attachmentid=13064&d=1355850320.jpg

Kinddog, did you get your car already? If so, could I see it? My config is like yours, except that i am going with the regular white. Thanks

- - - Updated - - -

Kinddog, did you get your car already? If so, could I see it? My config is like yours, except that i am going with the regular white. Thanks

I need to finalize by Jan. 23 on the color.

However, I have a concern with the MPVA that I am in discussion with with Tesla. The MVPA basically says that when the car is loaded on the common carrier (i.e., trucking company), transfer of title and risk of loss transfers to the purchaser. In other words, should the car be damaged or destroyed before you get it, it is your problem. While I hope Tesla would take responsibility in such cases (and the MVPA does state that the purchaser would be the beneficiary of any claim against the common carrier), I'm not willing to pay $100K for the car without some assurance from Tesla that they will promptly replace the car. I do not want to have to file a claim, and wait, and wait for some settlement. When I buy a MB, Lexus, etc., the risk of damage to the car during shipping stays with the manufacturer/dealer until I inspect, sign and pay for the vehicle. Several reports have been posted here of vehicle damage during shipping and the resolutions have not been posted in those cases yet. This concerns me, especially since Tesla told me they have problems with some carriers not following all the instructions given to them. Tesla's initial response to me was that if the car is damaged in transport, I can refuse delivery and just lose my $5,000 deposit. I said that is unacceptable to say that a buyer should lose money due to damage caused by a shipper that Tesla chose. They are discussing my concern with higher ups.

Last edited:
Swegman, I had the same concerns before making the final payment. The legal agreements don't provide much protection if the car you get is unacceptable. I took the leap of faith and made the payment. Car should be delivered in next few days.

If there is a problem, I expect Tesla will fix it because they won't want the bad publicity.

Tesla called me and said that the common carrier aspect only applies if you take delivery at a location other than a Tesla store. That is, if I take delivery at a tesla store (i.e., the DC store), the vehicle is not shipped via a common carrier, but rather a "Tesla carrier", and the risk of loss, damage, etc. remains with Tesla. On the other hand, if you request delivery somewhere else (i.e., to your house), the vehicle will be loaded onto a common carrier at the Tesla store, and at this point, the risk of damage, loss, etc. transfers to you.

According to Tesla, if the car is damaged by the common carrier during transit, the common carrier's insurance will pay to repair (but not replace) the vehicle. Tesla will file a claim on your behalf. However, it can take time until the claim is settled and the vehicle repaired. The only way to avoid this situation is to take delievery from a Tesla store.

As a result, I will take delivery at the DC store. This allows me to inspect the vehicle for any cosmetic, structural, etc. damage before having to pay for the vehicle. Should the vehicle arrive at the Tesla store damaged or with problems, it is Tesla's responsibility to then provide me with a satisfactory vehicle.

I am awaiting a written communication from Tesla confirming the telephone discussion before finalizing my vehicles.

Tesla called me and said that the common carrier aspect only applies if you take delivery at a location other than a Tesla store. That is, if I take delivery at a tesla store (i.e., the DC store), the vehicle is not shipped via a common carrier, but rather a "Tesla carrier", and the risk of loss, damage, etc. remains with Tesla. On the other hand, if you request delivery somewhere else (i.e., to your house), the vehicle will be loaded onto a common carrier at the Tesla store, and at this point, the risk of damage, loss, etc. transfers to you.

According to Tesla, if the car is damaged by the common carrier during transit, the common carrier's insurance will pay to repair (but not replace) the vehicle. Tesla will file a claim on your behalf. However, it can take time until the claim is settled and the vehicle repaired. The only way to avoid this situation is to take delievery from a Tesla store.

As a result, I will take delivery at the DC store. This allows me to inspect the vehicle for any cosmetic, structural, etc. damage before having to pay for the vehicle. Should the vehicle arrive at the Tesla store damaged or with problems, it is Tesla's responsibility to then provide me with a satisfactory vehicle.

I am awaiting a written communication from Tesla confirming the telephone discussion before finalizing my vehicles.

This is helpful info.

Tesla confirmed to me that taking delivery at the store means they are responsible for any damage that may occur during shipment, until such time as I inspect and accept the vehicle, at which time the paperwork is completed and I pay for the vehicle.