Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Gray tiles on navigation screen ( no outage related)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Same issue here since the last update. To me what's even more annoying is the deterioration of AP performance. Since the upgrade my TACC has been unbelievably sluggish, such that I just don't use it anymore. Autosteer is no better than it was before, but that coupled with a "broken" TACC is just unacceptable, at least on my commute.

Called Tesla and since I have a ranger coming out tomorrow on my wifi issue they added it to the list. And they must have sent a remote reset command as when I hung up with them and went to my car the screen was dead and the a/c was off. After 20 seconds or so I saw the T come up so realized it was resetting. Still had the issue though after the reset. 3 hours later I had a notification regarding a software update and following it (17.16.35) gray tile issue went away. And the map seems to load way more quickly. Bigly quickly. Tremendous update. Wifi still doesn't work though.

• Informative
Reactions: LoL Rick
I had problems with this as well on my '14. The service guy told me he reset the trip "A" and "B". I never reset it while I owned the car. He said it was the second largest amount of miles he has ever seen on a car. About 30K. It improved after this.
Good luck

I'm seeing the same issue with my late 2014 MS, on 3G. It's been much worse since a week or 2, might be due to latest update.

Also, Spotify started to buffer songs since last week, which is terribly annoying. With passengers in the car it looks lame, and we had to switch to my wife's phone spotify in order to listen to some music...

Hello again,

Tesla service advisor after talking with engineering called and asked me to delete ALL previous destinations on the Nav screen to free up memory . ( 3 years worth of addresses) . They think that would take care the problem..
I will have an update after my drive to work tomorrow!

Stay tune!!!

Bobby

I had problems with this as well on my '14. The service guy told me he reset the trip "A" and "B". I never reset it while I owned the car. He said it was the second largest amount of miles he has ever seen on a car. About 30K. It improved after this.
Good luck
I've seen that recommendation before and have trouble believing that it actually does anything.

IMAG1379.jpg

I have tried that already without any results whatsoever!
I also deleted previous destinations as suggested by service with NO results ....

Back to square one!!!!
Exactly. I wish people would stop perpetuating these myths. Unfortunately, it's service center staff that are doing it!

Back on topic - I had the gray tiles once a few days ago. I zoomed out a little and they filled in. Then I zoomed back and they were fine. Don't think it's happened since.

Our S is on 17.11.3 and for I'm guessing a few weeks now have been seeing the gray blocks on the 2D maps and also when using the topography view. Very annoying. Saw that others have been experiencing too so figure it's wide spread. I know there's a another update going around (is this the 17.16.35 mentioned in Post #24?) and hope it fixes it. Very annoying and it seems to refresh every couple of minutes with more gray squares as you travel. Use to love having the topography view on when driving but with the gray squares find the 2D map view less distracting.

I experience this daily on my commute to work especially on the freeway. Constantly have the gray tiles and I have rebooted a few times with nothing.
Same here. By the time I get to work, the screen is 1/3-covered in gray tiles. If I zoom in and zoom back out, usually the tiles will fill in, although they don't necessarily stay filled in (as I drive further). Very annoying.

And, get this, my commute is much of the length of I-280, headed south, in the Bay Area, passing right by Tesla HQ just about at the midpoint. I have excellent signal for the entire commute.

Strangely, the gray tile issue doesn't occur, or at least doesn't occur as badly, when I commute home, heading north, on the same I-280 route.

• Informative
Reactions: DA808EV
I have the gray tiles issue on my S90D. It is at the SC as I write this. They gave me an older S85 loaner that on the same commute doesn't display the problem at all! The SC also told me that they replaced my screen - not sure what to make of this - they were chasing a rattle...

Can't wait to see what happens when I get my car back...

Does anyone know when the next update will be released that will fix this? It's getting frustrating especially driving in LA traffic and not being able to see how bad traffic might be miles ahead.
All my gray tiles are on the top of the screen. Maybe 1/2 to 1/3 and when I zoom in it does help but it zooms back out on it's own after a couple min.