Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great CA DMV Experience with replacement HOV stickers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Usually people seem to post and I hear a lot about bad experiences with the California DMV but I just had a great one. I had not gotten my HOV stickers for a few months after they cashed the $22 check. After a few calls I had a call back from someone who then confirmed a few things and then overnighted replacement stickers to me. I was settling in for a big process to get the stickers and it ended up being really smooth.

I'd like to say mine has been pleasant, but really, we're talking the California DMV. Let me digress for just a moment. There’s an episode of The Big Bang Theory where Sheldon goes to DMV to get his learner’s permit. He looks at the test and stands there arguing with the woman behind the counter about the questions on the test and she point up to a sign above her head and says, “look at the sign, does it say I give a damn?” Sheldon says “No”, then she says, “that’s because I don’t, NEXT”… That’s always been my experience with the DMV. Ok, so I sent my HOV application in when I picked the 3 up, and at that time, it had the (new) CA temp plate on it, so that's the number I used on my application. 6 weeks later they sent my application back and my check telling me my app was wrong and included two forms to complete. During the time between my initial submittal and the 6 weeks, Tesla filed my paperwork to transfer the car into my name and DMV issued a hard plate. Well it seems the people at the SC ignored that my mailing address was different than my home address and put both to my home address. My app showed them correctly, different. So because they didn't agree, DMV kicked it back and gave me 2 DMV forms to complete to change my address so they could process my HOV application. Knowing it would take even more time to get one clerk to change my mailing address and then another to process the HOV application, I opted for changing the HOV application to show both as my home address, thus agreeing with what Tesla had filed. Interestingly, the difference in the temp license number and the final hard plate wasn’t even an issue, but I did change it when I sent the revised applications in. And so the vicious cycle began again. And I'm still waiting for my ugly purple stickers today......

Reactions: omkar
Usually people seem to post and I hear a lot about bad experiences with the California DMV but I just had a great one. I had not gotten my HOV stickers for a few months after they cashed the $22 check. After a few calls I had a call back from someone who then confirmed a few things and then overnighted replacement stickers to me. I was settling in for a big process to get the stickers and it ended up being really smooth.

@Cstreet Is there a number to call? 1-800-777-0133?

I'm waiting for my replacement decals for 2+ months now (one of the original ones decided to talk a walk) :(

You can try this number: 916-657-8035

Maybe that is the direct line to Mr. Sloth:

sloth_zootopia.jpg