Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Deal on 25' 30AMP extension cord ($23.26 from Amazon)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle

Amazon.com: Camco 55191 25' PowerGrip Electrical Power Cord with Handle: Automotive

51R2B267V8L.jpg

I don't need it but someone may find this useful for their Tesla with a 30AMP outlet

This is not appropriate for charging. It delivers 120V, not 240V. Technically you would be able to fashion up an adaptor, but you wouldn't get the full benefit of 240V unless you made an adaptor for both ends.

I don't see anyone specifically mentioning the outlet type. It's on the listing of the Amazon product page. This is for a TT-30 outlet. If you see listings of campgrounds that have "50 amp" and "30 amp" service, the "50 amp" is a 14-50 outlet type, and the "30 amp" is this TT-30 outlet. Those are 120V 30A connections, and you can use them to charge a Tesla at about 8-ish miles per hour at 24A, but it's not straightforward.

The safe way to do this is to use the official Tesla 14-30 adapter that they sell now, and then make an adapter pigtail to convert it to a TT-30 plug, which would have the current level properly matched, so the car knows to pull the right amount of current. Then, you could plug into a TT-30 or use this extension cord shown above if you need the extra length.

*Edit* And yes, you can flip like that, using a 240V adapter on the UMC to connect to a 120V source. The car doesn't care and will detect and use whatever is there. But wiring up the adapter is particular. The hot side has to be on a specific side, and I don't remember which that is.

Though, the Camco 55191 would be I think the perfect wire if you wanted to make a dryer outlet extension. I'd really like to have a NEMA 14-30 extension with only 3 conductors, since the UMC only needs 3, rather than 4. This would make the cord a lot lighter and more flexible than the NEMA 14-50 extension above. I have one of the 15' NEMA 14-50 extensions, and it is pretty ridiculous, when compared to the UMC wiring.

Plus, odds are that if you need an extension, it is to plug into a dryer outlet, so it will only be 30A service anyway. And charging at 24A is enough typically to get charged up overnight.

TL;DR: Someone please make me a 10 awg/3 25' extension using a NEMA 14-30 plug and socket, rather than the 6awg/4 NEMA 14-50 extension above.

Though, the Camco 55191 would be I think the perfect wire if you wanted to make a dryer outlet extension. I'd really like to have a NEMA 14-30 extension with only 3 conductors, since the UMC only needs 3, rather than 4. This would make the cord a lot lighter and more flexible than the NEMA 14-50 extension above. I have one of the 15' NEMA 14-50 extensions, and it is pretty ridiculous, when compared to the UMC wiring.

Plus, odds are that if you need an extension, it is to plug into a dryer outlet, so it will only be 30A service anyway. And charging at 24A is enough typically to get charged up overnight.

TL;DR: Someone please make me a 10 awg/3 25' extension using a NEMA 14-30 plug and socket, rather than the 6awg/4 NEMA 14-50 extension above.
Yep, all of this. I did get the 30 foot Camco 14-50 extension, and that thing is a beast. I can't imagine the people who got the 50 foot ones. And yes, your point is exactly right, that there would hardly ever be a need to extend length for a 14-50; it would almost always be to get into a house for a dryer outlet.