Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great deal? Or get something newer...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello Tesla friends!

My mother-in-law has offered to sell me her 2016 (pre-facelift) Model S 85D with 42k miles for what Tesla offers her which is $35,500. Especially in today's market this seems like a lot of car for that money and I already have L2 charging at home. Her concern is it's an older car but I'ave always read Teslas hold up really well, especially if their average SOC is kept below 80%.

If I said no, what would you guys wait for? New M3? That's the only car even remotely close to the price I'm offered for the MS.

Thanks for your expert opinions!

P.S. the MS still has its original MME but I understand I can pay to upgrade that.

I mean, if you can get a car at trade value, particularly Tesla trade value (which is generally regarded to be low), then yes that’s an objectively “good deal”.

It would have to be a very early 2016 to be an 85D as the 85 was discontinued in February, but that’s not a huge deal.

Issues to watch for with all 85 batteries are reduced range and slow supercharging.

I mean, if you can get a car at trade value, particularly Tesla trade value (which is generally regarded to be low), then yes that’s an objectively “good deal”.

It would have to be a very early 2016 to be an 85D as the 85 was discontinued in February, but that’s not a huge deal.

Issues to watch for with all 85 batteries are reduced range and slow supercharging.
It's an early 85D. Delivery was March I think. Thank you for your tips about battery and charging!

If you pass, I'd suggest that you suggest to her to get an offer from CarMax, Vroom, Carvana, etc. As someone already stated, Tesla trade-in values are typically low and she will likely get a better offer from these guys ^!

I love my 85D, and that does seem a pretty good price right now (depending on options, condition etc) - if the car fits your needs and lifestyle, go for it. If you don’t like it, you can probably flip it for a small profit.

I love our 2015 - 42K is no miles at all. If you are worried X-Care have a really good extended warranty you can buy. Price dropped a lot early this year. I added 4 years to ours, charge-port failed (turns out due to an issue I could have gotten resolved under warranty if I'd known it was brewing) - and their process for service is as simple it was with Tesla and only uses Tesla (you use the app, schedule Tesla and then get the estimate to X-care who approve it as you would as the owner).

• Love
Reactions: XCare EV
How is equipped? There were a lot of options. Sunroof, premium sound, seating interior, air suspension. wheels. etc. I love my 2015S85 and its been very reliable. At 40k miles I've seen about 4% battery degradation. If it has a clean Carfax and in excellent condition it a good value.

I love our 2015 - 42K is no miles at all. If you are worried X-Care have a really good extended warranty you can buy. Price dropped a lot early this year. I added 4 years to ours, charge-port failed (turns out due to an issue I could have gotten resolved under warranty if I'd known it was brewing) - and their process for service is as simple it was with Tesla and only uses Tesla (you use the app, schedule Tesla and then get the estimate to X-care who approve it as you would as the owner).
Cool I'll check them out.