Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Delivery in NJ

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Considering all the bad press, I figured I would write something positive...

Drove down to Paramus from NH last week (Tesla ordered me a rental car). I was a little late, but no big deal, after walking around and calling in I found my Y on the lot and after a minute it unlocked and I was able to check everything over. One of the operations advisors came out and was really nice and didn't mind if I took my time, just told me to give her a call when I made the payment on my phone so she could finish their paperwork and mark me as delivered.

Found a few alignment issues, mainly the rear doors are low (was rubbing on the lower trim/running boards), one of the windows was squeaking, and rear hatch is mis-aligned just enough so the taillights are touching on one side when closed. The delivery advisor came back out after a bit and told me they would take it in and check it out right away especially considering I was from far away. They re-aligned the rear door and fixed the window issue (just some leftover adhesive causing squeaks) but took nots of the rear hatch and asked me to make a service appointment as they did not want to rush that re-alignment.

I am not super picky and overall I appreciate the value of the tech of the car more so than the fit/finish, but it is def a nice car. After I got home, I noticed a minor paint issue on the hood, but I'm sure it will buff out easily and interior the headliner is a bit saggy and one of the rear door trim pieces missed the holes when inserting in assembly and is damaged. I added this to my service appt in a few weeks.

I had two major annoyances, first, the car is just dirty. Not like the carpet wasn't clean, but the plastic surfaces were not all wiped down especially the seat trim at the floor, everything just has a static "haze" on it. Easy to clean, but annoying. Not worth complaining about it, the staff was super busy and doing their best, 2 more carriers of Y's were coming in while I was there. Second, the showroom was completely locked and you cannot go inside at all. I understand COVID and such, but having to call and go through the prompts every time you need to talk to someone even though you can see them through the door was annoying. They should do the distancing thing, not saying they shouldn't, but it would be nicer to be able to txt/call direct your delivery advisor handling your delivery during the process. Also, no bathrooms, had to walk down the street to a store to use a bathroom.

Overall, the people made it a good experience. It could have been a 10 minute completely touchless pickup, or they are willing to help and deal with anything on the spot.

Good story!

and CONGRATS on the new car!

I agree, i've been pretty strict myself about social distancing measures during Covid-19, but they should allow a very limited number of people in the show room, by appointment only, just to facilitate the "closing" of the purchase. not so potential customers can come check out these vehicles (sorry).. I agree that that is not a good idea..

but if you are about the hand over a bunch of cash in exchange for a car, (and in my case I sent my portion of the down payment the night before I picked up my car sight unseen, tho this was long, long before covid was an issue) I would expect to be allowed inside the showroom to complete the transaction, Masks on all around, gloves, wipes, hand sanitizer, whatever is necessary to keep covid-19 at bay, but definitely let people inside to complete the transaction in a more dare-I-say humane way...

BTW it sounds like you made the final payment while you were at (or outside) the showroom. I assume its by AHCI on Tesla's website which is how I did it for my downpayment years and years ago. how long did the payment take to post? for my next Model S I would like to send my portion of the funds AFTER I inspect my car, and it sounds like this is the way to do it.

My question is very simple: who is inspecting the car before they try to deliver you with those issues? Do they have a QC department and who is running it? I mean are they simply hoping that we don’t notice these imperfections and take the delivery of the car? If that’s the case then it’s pretty bad on Tesla’s part.

• Disagree
Reactions: raggedy and wasloan
My question is very simple: who is inspecting the car before they try to deliver you with those issues? Do they have a QC department and who is running it? I mean are they simply hoping that we don’t notice these imperfections and take the delivery of the car? If that’s the case then it’s pretty bad on Tesla’s part.

The answer to your question (i.e. QC) is most likely no-one. Simple delivery prep tasks like cleaning up interior smudges/dirt is a minimum wage job that can be easily filled with non-skilled labor. Covid-19 might be a part problem but I think it's just Tesla's push to move inventory. Tesla knows it's buyer pretty well. In general their buyers are 'enamored' with the 'technology' & the battery power performance and will over look and/or accept sub standard 'fit & finish' issues. It's simply a matter of time (granted it taken way too long) before a 'real' car company builds a Tesla-like car and eats Elon's lunch.

At least in the Seattle Tesla, delivery team of 3 people is the one that’s supposed to QC, but given they are regularly delivering 75-100 cars a day, there is hardly time to spend outside of washing the cars and applying tire gloss before customer shows up to take delivery. This is what service advisor told me.

@ryanj I too was initially happy with my delivery but you should know that delivery team and service team in Tesla are very different departments, once you accept delivery, delivery team regardless of what things they say and promise to fix or claim are fixable are no longer helping you. Car salesmen have a certain reputation to move cars off the lot..

carefully inspect your car, maybe bring it to a professional detailer to look it over and check the paint thoroughly if things can truly be addressed before your 7 day return is up. Do not contact delivery team again as mine lied to me to make my return period elapse prior to first service appointment which conveniently stated more than half my issues were not going to be addressed and in spec.

Reactions: BlindPass
The answer to your question (i.e. QC) is most likely no-one. Simple delivery prep tasks like cleaning up interior smudges/dirt is a minimum wage job that can be easily filled with non-skilled labor. Covid-19 might be a part problem but I think it's just Tesla's push to move inventory. Tesla knows it's buyer pretty well. In general their buyers are 'enamored' with the 'technology' & the battery power performance and will over look and/or accept sub standard 'fit & finish' issues. It's simply a matter of time (granted it taken way too long) before a 'real' car company builds a Tesla-like car and eats Elon's lunch.

hard to believe they don’t do a thorough QC inspection at Factory before the car is loaded on the truck for shipment. o_O

Hey all gotta say I picked up a red performance white interior vin
258××
Seriously no issues
Ill send photos sometime soon
My only issue few spots on my seat
Car had 9 miles
Hey its a performance im sure it hit the road with them
Also speed is neck breaking
Love the FSD also
Please request the most problem spots for photos. Seems spot on
Back seats perfect etc

What do you think 20200725_144950.jpg 20200725_144935.jpg 20200725_144932.jpg 20200725_144925.jpg 20200725_144919.jpg 20200725_144916.jpg 20200725_144840.jpg 20200725_144950.jpg 20200725_144935.jpg 20200725_144932.jpg

• Love
Reactions: Reborn and wasloan
Sounds like a pretty good delivery. Pics and build info?

270XX LR AWD 20" MSM/Black FSD

0bIsZjA.jpg

EiVEOHp.jpg

BTW it sounds like you made the final payment while you were at (or outside) the showroom. I assume its by AHCI on Tesla's website which is how I did it for my downpayment years and years ago. how long did the payment take to post? for my next Model S I would like to send my portion of the funds AFTER I inspect my car, and it sounds like this is the way to do it.

Yes, I paid via ACH, waited until I checked out the car before I entered any info. Called the delivery advisor and told her I did it, its fairly instant. They just need to know they have a valid ACH account, or they will take a check too. They were very low pressure about it.

Prob nothing. Most modern manufacturing has moved to inline QC and automated checks. QC is non-value added in manufacturing and is really not necessary provided the designs and automation of assembly are great. But it takes time to implement all the automation for the checks of defects that were not originally expected. If you need QC, then you should just fix the root cause, not inspect for it. Thats really modern manufacturing 101 which Tesla is pushing vs a traditional auto maker. Not trying to give them a pass, but of some of the minor alignment issues I had on mine, I can completely understand (I am a manufacturing engineer) how they can happen on the manufacturing line as most of them were tolerance stackups that would have been hard to catch early in the assembly process until everything was complete. You are not going to build a qc/fix building at the factory to fix these immediately, its a waste of money. Have the local SCs fix it and give the feedback of the issues to the factory and they can implement tighter controls to prevent it in the future. Continuous improvement...

@ryanj once you accept delivery, delivery team regardless of what things they say and promise to fix or claim are fixable are no longer helping you.

Understood, but delivery team was very good about taking pictures and creating a service ticket immediately to ensure things will be taken care of. No delays at all.

Actually if you could post the pics of the charge port , that would be great!
Would love to see what a normal charge port alignment should look like. Thanks.

Here is mine...

5CM2ir8.jpg