Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great New Model S Review - Everyday Driver

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I know we're discussing the Everyday Driver video on another thread, but the article on its own is actually one of the best I've seen. A few quotes below show the high level of praise:

"What makes the Tesla special is the packaging. In the same way there were phones before the iPhone, the Tesla takes things already in the world and combines them to make something so new and revolutionary that we wonder why we haven’t seen it before. The Model S achieves the rare combination of feeling familiar enough to be comforting and instinctive, and different enough to make you rethink what you know. For proof, witness me sitting confused outside a restaurant while my instincts told me to turn off the car, and the new thinking told me it was unnecessary."

"
Triple digit speeds arrive with such repeatable ease that addiction is nearly a foregone conclusion. Getting back into any combustion automobile after the Model S brings with it a wave of disappointment. While the stats suggest the power and performance of the Model S nearly mirror Porsche’s loaded Turbo Panamera, in truth the power deliver is so new and different that it feels without competition."

"
Yet even though our production days regularly put 200 hard miles on a car, the Model S operated with range to spare. It was quiet, roomy, and absurdly quick.
The Tesla Model S isn’t perfect, but it is an electric vehicle without compromise and offering traits we wish were found on other cars. That’s high praise. It has been buoyed by hype suggesting it’s the only car that matters and can do no wrong. Yet no car can do everything well. The Model S has strengths and weaknesses like very vehicle yet it’s strengths are impressive and without caveat."

"I find the Model S to be an unbelievable family car with usable space under every body panel and room for a family of 7. The car’s great power, new thinking, and the ability to be your only transportation will no doubt influence other automakers of all sizes."

"The Model S is a genuine touchstone in the long history of automobiles."

​WOW.

While an overly positive review, I did take issue with some their criticisms (because I genuinely don't agree with them, not merely because they are criticisms of Model S):

The handling is not as impressive as the power. On the fast canyon sweepers of our review, the Tesla seemed unable to hide its weight or electronic inner workings. The steering is direct but provides no tire information. The suspension allows for an initial disconcerting roll from the big sedan before settling into the line and carving out. Of course the Model S was never intended to be a track car or the first choice of a canyon carver so it leaves the revolution to its power plant and settles for average agility.

I find these observations strange since the whole idea of the P+ package was to improve handling and help hide the weight of the car. While I did not go "canyon carving" with the car, I did drive winding roads at high speed and found the car very nimble for its size. They are right about the seats, however. Under hard cornering, it is rather difficult to remain planted in your seat. I'm not sure what "electronic inner workings" they were thinking needed to be more well hidden. Inverter whine?

Other cars with six-figure price-tags offer plush leathers and pleasing textures on nearly every surface. The Model S offers an interior with materials no better than cars less than half the price. The styling is simple and pleasing, but it feels stark in comparison to the screens.

Again, I personally took no issue with the interior and found it to be comparable in quality to, if not better than, my current Audi (with the possible exception of the hard plastic on the doors)

Please note that these are mere differences of opinion here. I'm not accusing the review of the misrepresentation or bias common in other articles.