Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does it kinda feel like torque steer when accelerating? I have that for sure... I'm a 50,000 Vin from summer 2017....

Thanks for this thread.

-m
It feels like hopping at the front. Not, in my experience, like torque steer. This is a straight ahead vibratory shake. Imagine slipping on gravel under high acceleration. A bit like that.

Just an update for everyone.

This last week my X started vibrating ALL the time...not just when taking off like the initial shudder. Thought I had a wheel out of round or something that simply needed balanced. Felt very similar. Took it into Tesla and they said it was very odd but they would check some stuff out and sent me packing with my 2nd loaner in 2 weeks.

Got a call 6 hours later that the tires, wheels and suspension were fine so they replaced the halfshafts and jackshaft with the "old" style halfshafts and it seems to have fixed the issue. Sigh.

Even more frustrating news came after they told me that these were some of the worse halfshafts they've replaced and that they've NEVER seen issues with vibration at cruising speeds caused by the halfshafts. Considering how much I've babied this 2nd set of halfshafts, I'm contemplating abandoning ship on my X sooner than later. I still suspect there is a bigger issue with these halfshafts than a bad part.

That said, I'm probably not gonna have any upcoming updates on the new part since I'm no longer in line for them. Quite frustrating. If I do hear anything tho, I'll light this thread up again.

Just an update for everyone.

This last week my X started vibrating ALL the time...not just when taking off like the initial shudder. Thought I had a wheel out of round or something that simply needed balanced. Felt very similar. Took it into Tesla and they said it was very odd but they would check some stuff out and sent me packing with my 2nd loaner in 2 weeks.

Got a call 6 hours later that the tires, wheels and suspension were fine so they replaced the halfshafts and jackshaft with the "old" style halfshafts and it seems to have fixed the issue. Sigh.

Even more frustrating news came after they told me that these were some of the worse halfshafts they've replaced and that they've NEVER seen issues with vibration at cruising speeds caused by the halfshafts. Considering how much I've babied this 2nd set of halfshafts, I'm contemplating abandoning ship on my X sooner than later. I still suspect there is a bigger issue with these halfshafts than a bad part.

That said, I'm probably not gonna have any upcoming updates on the new part since I'm no longer in line for them. Quite frustrating. If I do hear anything tho, I'll light this thread up again.

There's a report over on the Tesla forum about an owner of a Model X75D experiencing slower acceleration as a result of a firmware update.

While not exactly to do with the vibrations coming from the half-shafts, if this is true, I find it quite irritating. The poster on the Tesla forum related that his Service Centre had informed him that Tesla had issued a firmware update to soften the X's acceleration capability so as to preserve the life and functionality of the half-shafts.

The poster was assured by Tesla that the old snappy acceleration could be brought back by choosing the lowest settings on the air suspension. The owner did NOT find this to be the case. He now reports 0 - 60 acceleration times towards the high end of 6.0 seconds.

Considering the fact that they've NEVER seen issues with the halfshafts, why would you think its a bigger issue and simply not a bad part?

Same issue but I got a different fix. Just picked up but have not tested upon hard acceleration. See below.

Attachments

• Shudder.jpeg
    Shudder.jpeg
    22 KB · Views: 184
  • Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy
I trust the information from the OP. From memory there has never been anything definitive in this topic in the past. This is the only really frustrating aspect of the Model X, but don’t see a reason to feel deflated that there isn’t or won’t be a fix for this issue. I have actually let her rip in high- didn’t realize it was in an area with an auto raise- and let’s just say it doesn’t sound or feel good.

Reactions: Kacey Green