Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
iPhone Auto correct! :) Basically the Service Center said there is no fix for the shudder currently.
Perhaps they meant "other than replacing the front half shafts". I've had Watertown replace mine twice today with no objections from them (last time was about a month ago, shortly before the information about new parts being available "soon" in this forum post. I presume by the time I need them again, the parts will be available (unless I never need them again due to a software fix instead of hardware solution of course).

Does anyone have the official word on this? Owners have posted on both this forum and the official Tesla forum that a software update has been rolled out that limits acceleration on the Model X as a remediation to the half shaft issues. I hope that is not the case. Here are the threads

Half shaft and jack shaft - considered to be part of the drive unit?

Tesla

The owners have been told it only impacts acceleration on normal or high, they are calling this into question as they have seen a change in all ride heights.

As of today Tesla are still advertising 4.9 to 60 for the 75D, 4.7 for the 100 and 2.9 for the P. So - anyone know the truth to this?

My car defaults to low, it vibrates almost every time I accelerate.

Mine also, so sick and tired of having to drive in LOW to lessen the vibration, prefer Standard for the ride comfort, but shudders most of the time accelerating. Already replaced once at 6K, now at 24k, but the shake has been back again since 16K. Sure hope these 3rd gen shafts are available soon.

Reactions: Pale_Rider
Car came back from service on Friday. Looks like the same old parts went in:

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B)
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-B)
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A)

I was on the original set of parts for 24,000 miles. Shudder slowly became worse over time, to the point where it was present even with the suspension in Very Low.

I bought 22" tires for the summer and left mine on low the whole time and no more vibration. But I did have the half shaft replaced around 8K miles.

June 2017 100D. 11K miles on it. Have been noticing the shudder for at least the last 6 months and I'm always, always on low. Now, I did wonder about tires. I've got 20s and always wondered if it wouldn't be tied to that so your experience is interesting. Are others on 22s experiencing the shudder?

Last edited:
@jgrgnt I had mine replaced with the same part number too, for the second time 2 weeks ago, It's been good so far, but I'm not holding my breath. last time it took a few months before coming back. I let it go for about 30k miles with the shutter as they said there wasn't a premineate fix.

Had to buy a set of tires an ask if they could fix it as it was getty really bad, at the point where you could feel it with mild acceleration.

I'm over 50k miles, but they did still cover it for free has it has been an ongoing issue for over a year now.

Concern: Customer states noise during acceleration. Please check and advise.

Pay Type: Warranty
Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
Road tested vehicle with customer. Jackshafts and half shafts are needed at this time to
resolve customers concern. Replaced jackshafts and half shafts. Verified proper operation.

Part Quantity
JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A) 1
Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - LH
Road tested vehicle with customer. Jackshafts and half shafts are needed at this time to
resolve customers concern. Replaced jackshafts and half shafts. Verified proper operation.

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B) 1
Parts Replaced or Added

Corrections: Front Halfshaft Assembly - Front - RH

Part Quantity
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-
B)

WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-
A)

Last July 2017:

Corrections: Jackshaft Assembly - Front
I replaced the front left and right side axles and jack shaft. Road tested and vehicle is
driving normally

Part Quantity
WASHER SAFETY M24x39 (1020296-00-B) 2
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00-
A)

HALF SHAFT - FRONT LEFT (1027111-00-B) 1
HALF SHAFT - FRONT RIGHT (1027115-00-
B)

JACKSHAFT ASSY, FR (1030632-00-A) 1
Parts Replaced or Added

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Cowby and hiroshiy
Quick question: does every model x have this, or, do people not notice since the general populous doesn’t accelerate that hard frequently? Now that I think of it, I never saw this problem when I test drove a P100D.

@jgrgnt I had mine replaced with the same part number too, for the second time 2 weeks ago, It's been good so far, but I'm not holding my breath. last time it took a few months before coming back. I let it go for about 30k miles with the shutter as they said there wasn't a premineate fix.

Had to buy a set of tires an ask if they could fix it as it was getty really bad, at the point where you could feel it with mild acceleration.

I'm over 50k miles, but they did still cover it for free has it has been an ongoing issue for over a year now.

It's great that Tesla went ahead and replaced the parts free of charge, even after your warranty ended. At the current rate of "wear", mine will be due for replacement at around 50k miles. I hope that by then, the permanent solution--if it indeed exists--has propagated across the entire service center network.

Quick question: does every model x have this, or, do people not notice since the general populous doesn’t accelerate that hard frequently? Now that I think of it, I never saw this problem when I test drove a P100D.

My early 2018 X 75D does not have the dreaded shudder coming up to 9k miles. I would definitely notice if it did as I often use full acceleration. Never noticed it on any of the 3 demo cars I had either and they all got fully thrashed too! But it's obviously a fundamental design issue, so probably will happen sooner or later with wear unless there was a factory fix quietly deployed on later cars.

Is this for all X's? I've never had this issue and wonder what range of cars we're discussing here...?

Try putting your car in standard suspension height and accelerate you should be able to feel ...by setting SAS to low /“always” was the Tesla “solution”

It can take the shudder a while to appear. A new X may take a few thousand miles

My March 2018-build X 100D has about 6,900 miles and so far, no hint of this shudder. I always use Standard height.