Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
June 2017 100D. 11K miles on it. Have been noticing the shudder for at least the last 6 months and I'm always, always on low. Now, I did wonder about tires. I've got 20s and always wondered if it wouldn't be tied to that so your experience is interesting. Are others on 22s experiencing the shudder?

Did some more testing and the shudder is present at low quite clearly but goes away at very low. Still curious, is anybody noticing it with 22" feels. I always get the impression that some of it related to my 20" wheels slipping on a hard acceleration. Anyone?

• Disagree
Reactions: spectrum
Did some more testing and the shudder is present at low quite clearly but goes away at very low. Still curious, is anybody noticing it with 22" feels. I always get the impression that some of it related to my 20" wheels slipping on a hard acceleration. Anyone?
It does feel a bit like wheel slip, but I don't think it is. I have 20" wheels and see the problem between 30 and 50 mph when power draw is >150kW. Prior to purchasing my X last year, I rented a 2016 P90D with 22" wheels on Turo for a road trip. That thing felt like it had wheels out of balance constantly and the impression I got from the owner was that it was not a wheel balance issue but an issue service was going to fix (presumably this very same shudder some others have pointed out eventually becomes constant in some cases).

New owner here. Ordered June 11th, delivered Aug 4th 2018. I have less than 2K miles. I've always been on low setting being that I read about the shudder prior to delivery.
I have acceleration vibration that is getting worse when I accelerate fast. Hopeful that this will be able to be fixed.
Welcome to TMC (and the Tesla family, if this is your first). Hope you can enjoy the rest of the car while we all wait for a solution.

I've been having a shudder problem with my S for 3 years. SC always said they could either not reproduce or fixed it somehow.
Then it returns.
My symptom is on S, driving between 70 and 80. Cruise control or accelerating. Comes and goes. You can feel it in the drivers seat, steering wheel.
Feels like an harmonic frequency.
Could this be the same shudder X owners are experiencing?

I've been having a shudder problem with my S for 3 years. SC always said they could either not reproduce or fixed it somehow.
Then it returns.
My symptom is on S, driving between 70 and 80. Cruise control or accelerating. Comes and goes. You can feel it in the drivers seat, steering wheel.
Feels like an harmonic frequency.
Could this be the same shudder X owners are experiencing?
this sounds like a tire/wheel balance problem
tesla tires have foam inserts in them to reduce noise (the most idiotic idea ever btw studies have found the decibel reduction is maybe 1-2) but they are prone to coming loose and causing balance problems inside the tire. usually after hitting a pothole or extremely high temperatures. this would be consistent with the speed related shudder above 70mph

During my last annual (six weeks ago), they put a note in the system and told me that Engineering is indeed working on a fix. So it's either actually happening, or they have got the story straight. Given that Tesla seems to fix the engineering on most things sooner or later, and this one is common if you tow, I expect there to be a fix. Optimism!

So I also had the shudder in my X, my SC told me that it was the Pirelli tires. Evidently, there is a foam inside of them for sound deadening and if it becomes undone, the care shudders pretty violently. Tires replaced, shudder gone. PM if you want more details or have questions!
That's a crock. Our original Contenentals .... w/ or w/out them .... plenty of shudder.