Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great news for Tesla Model 3 owners with Pirelli PZEROs!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hate to rain on the parade, but Pirelli no longer warranties these tires as of June 1, 2022. I picked up my brand new M3P yesterday and when I got home, I found a nail in the sidewall. Tesla is charging me $475 and Pirelli said they just updated their warranty on 6/1 to no longer cover these tires...
Been waiting for my TMC account to get approved and post the same thing. I found a sidewall bubble in my MYP tire after the ride home (didn’t hit any potholes). Sadly no more warranty past 6/1. I made multiple calls. This happened to me on 6/8 :(

I wouldn’t buy the replacement tire from Tesla, as they don’t have any road hazard warranty. Better off getting one from tire rack

TLDR: 2022 Model 3 with Pirelli PZero tires come with a "hidden" hazard warranty that covers punctures/impact etc through Pirelli, NOT Tesla.

I accidentally drove through one of the largest potholes I've ever seen this morning and damaged my right front and right rear tires (impact bubbles on both sides of each). Tesla advised me that they would charge me full price for new tires plus installation etc. Tesla stated they are not an "authorized" Pirelli provider (even though they are mfring cars with the tires installed) and so they would charge me. Tesla also stated that the Pirelli tires do not come with a hazard warranty, however, I found today that this is just incorrect by contacting Pirelli corporate.

Pirelli told me, and provided documentation, that explains the PZero included with the new car purchase are actually covered by a special Pirelli hazard warranty because the tires contain their "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS), and sensorized systems" technology. They advised that, instead of going through Tesla directly, I should go to an authorized Pirelli reseller/installer and they provided a list in my area. Within 3 hours, I had 2 brand new Pirelli Pzeros installed at no cost to me. Tesla verbally quoted me upwards of $450 per tire and had provided incorrect information about the hazard warranty.

The fine print is basically that the hazard incident has to occur within the first year of ownership and the tire tread has to be above a certain threshold still. The shop measured my tread, submitted to the Pirelli rep, confirmed I was within the limits and did the replacement with no further questions asked. I'm about 1 month into ownership and have 2K miles on my car so I met all the conditions.

So, if you damage your new Pirelli Pzeros accidentally within the first year and within tread wear limit, DON'T go to Tesla. Go to an authorized Pirelli shop for warranty replacement. Contact Pirelli for the proper shop in your area. Keep in mind if they mention "Discount Tire Stores" that they will NOT honor it, but you need to go to their sister store (which is under the Discount Tire umbrella) America's Tire. Discount Tire will not honor the warranty, but their sister shops - America's Tire, will. It seems the Pirelli reps get confused by their association and recommend the incorrect locations. So if they send you to Discount Tire, question it and ask them for the nearest America's Tire instead.

I've attached a copy of the Pirelli warranty documentation and a sample of what some of the damage to my tires looks like.
Darn. Missing the big wet smooch emoji ;-)

Reactions: .Slug
Good Day Folks...so after 4033 miles, i finally hit a pothole hard enough to get a sidewall bubble. Went to America's tire and tried fighting for a warranty replacement. They took a copy of the attached warranty (June '22 Revision I) and tagged the tire for a claim. I still paid about $400 for the tire, and at least now, America's Tire will warranty ALL 4 tires as I added on their warranty for any future problems past the first year, etc. That was probably $240 additional.

Why I'm posting - the Warranty online has changedfrom the December '21 original post. The current revision of Pirelli's warranty is June 2022 and it's Revision I...the sucky thing is: Pirelli REMOVED PNCS tires from the Road Hazard Coverage. America's tire here did keep the tire and promised to call the Pirelli rep to put in a claim as it was 5:45pm and Pirelli was "closed" for their call by then.

So between December '21 and June '22, PNCS was covered. I think now, though, the collective "we" may be SOL for that first year Road Hazard through Pirelli. I'll update after I hear back from America's Tire, but I'm not optimistic. Maybe you all get lucky on future or current claims. Would love to hear any other tips to try and get reimbursed for the tire if you know.

Here's a screen grab of the two for comparison.
From December 2021 Rev H (the OP's Warranty) (page 4):
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 18.02.50.png

Downloaded from Pirelli today, June 2022 Rev I (page 4):
Screen Shot 2022-09-28 at 18.13.34.png

Attachments

• Pirelli Consumer_Warranty_I_1Jun2022_official.pdf
    456.7 KB · Views: 66
Been waiting for my TMC account to get approved and post the same thing. I found a sidewall bubble in my MYP tire after the ride home (didn’t hit any potholes). Sadly no more warranty past 6/1. I made multiple calls. This happened to me on 6/8 :(

I wouldn’t buy the replacement tire from Tesla, as they don’t have any road hazard warranty. Better off getting one from tire rack
Ok, Just posted my saga - but now you may know a bit more where it's coming from. Warranty writing changed in June. Sorry to hear. Agreed on skipping Tesla at this point and just going with a regular tire house that WILL warranty the tire for future.

I hate to rain on the parade, but Pirelli no longer warranties these tires as of June 1, 2022. I picked up my brand new M3P yesterday and when I got home, I found a nail in the sidewall. Tesla is charging me $475 and Pirelli said they just updated their warranty on 6/1 to no longer cover these tires...
Agreed and coming to this same conclusion now. Oh well, at least I am back on the road and now have all tires warrantied through America's tire.

Reactions: mm9351
Amazing, I had to replace two Pirelli "Zeros" today for sidewall bubbles caused by massive holes on I-75 in Chattanooga that were unavoidable due to heavy traffic. Was saddened that the warranty was gone as of June — although they said there was still a 30 day road hazard warranty, but of course I'm past that.

• Informative
Reactions: mm9351 and julit0
It's so frustrating. Got a bubble in my pirelli m3p tire tire a month ago, and I had a local tire shop warranty it for me last week. It still cost me $210. Next time I'll just replace it with a cheaper tire. Probably go up to a 245/35r20 as well. Run those on the rear axle, and run the oe tires up front until they all expire. Kumho ps91s in that size are 170 each from discount tire direct.

L8d

Reactions: mm9351 and julit0
Good info here...except that I have the vehicle 1 year + 21 days...Picked up Dec 20 2021 and the tire failed today after hitting a pothole. Do I have a case? Vehicle has less than 6000 miles.
It doesn't hurt to try as you got your vehicle BEFORE 6/2022...But if you've worn down the tire more than 2/32" from original on your 6K miles, then you won't. You may as well try at America's Tire or a dealer like that. Worst case is they say no. It's still better to get a replacement tire from them (or Costco, etc. - just NOT Tesla) cause all other Non-Tesla places offer some kind of tire warranty or road hazard plan.

Reactions: mm9351
It doesn't hurt to try as you got your vehicle BEFORE 6/2022...But if you've worn down the tire more than 2/32" from original on your 6K miles, then you won't. You may as well try at America's Tire or a dealer like that. Worst case is they say no. It's still better to get a replacement tire from them (or Costco, etc. - just NOT Tesla) cause all other Non-Tesla places offer some kind of tire warranty or road hazard plan.
I can add that I lost 2/32 in about 4500 miles…

Reactions: julit0
TLDR: 2022 Model 3 with Pirelli PZero tires come with a "hidden" hazard warranty that covers punctures/impact etc through Pirelli, NOT Tesla.

I accidentally drove through one of the largest potholes I've ever seen this morning and damaged my right front and right rear tires (impact bubbles on both sides of each). Tesla advised me that they would charge me full price for new tires plus installation etc. Tesla stated they are not an "authorized" Pirelli provider (even though they are mfring cars with the tires installed) and so they would charge me. Tesla also stated that the Pirelli tires do not come with a hazard warranty, however, I found today that this is just incorrect by contacting Pirelli corporate.

Pirelli told me, and provided documentation, that explains the PZero included with the new car purchase are actually covered by a special Pirelli hazard warranty because the tires contain their "Pirelli Noise Cancelling System (PNCS), and sensorized systems" technology. They advised that, instead of going through Tesla directly, I should go to an authorized Pirelli reseller/installer and they provided a list in my area. Within 3 hours, I had 2 brand new Pirelli Pzeros installed at no cost to me. Tesla verbally quoted me upwards of $450 per tire and had provided incorrect information about the hazard warranty.

The fine print is basically that the hazard incident has to occur within the first year of ownership and the tire tread has to be above a certain threshold still. The shop measured my tread, submitted to the Pirelli rep, confirmed I was within the limits and did the replacement with no further questions asked. I'm about 1 month into ownership and have 2K miles on my car so I met all the conditions.

So, if you damage your new Pirelli Pzeros accidentally within the first year and within tread wear limit, DON'T go to Tesla. Go to an authorized Pirelli shop for warranty replacement. Contact Pirelli for the proper shop in your area. Keep in mind if they mention "Discount Tire Stores" that they will NOT honor it, but you need to go to their sister store (which is under the Discount Tire umbrella) America's Tire. Discount Tire will not honor the warranty, but their sister shops - America's Tire, will. It seems the Pirelli reps get confused by their association and recommend the incorrect locations. So if they send you to Discount Tire, question it and ask them for the nearest America's Tire instead.

I've attached a copy of the Pirelli warranty documentation and a sample of what some of the damage to my tires looks like.
I called my local Pirelli dealer, they got on the phone with Pirelli and called me with them on the line and they said they wouldn’t cover this exact damage. I called back to Pirelli separately and they said the tires have to be sent in for inspection to make the warranty claim, but that if it’s found to be due to road hazards/impact that it would not be covered. So either they changed the policy since you posted this 17 months ago or you got lucky. Either way, great for you! Just wanted others to know.

P.S. if you’re reading this, these tires suck if you don’t live in Arizona or Southern California where the roads are very flat with minimal damage. I’ve had this car under 2.5 years and I’ve spent over $3,000 just on tires. Not even wheels, alignment, etc. JUST tires.

Sorry I didn’t read the whole thread, but to add some clarity she did tell me that if I got my car before 6/1/22 it would still qualify for the PNCS road hazard warranty. Unfortunately I took delivery of my latest one in August of 2022. Maybe somebody will get lucky and see this message in the two week window that it’s still relevant.

Reactions: davewill
I called my local Pirelli dealer, they got on the phone with Pirelli and called me with them on the line and they said they wouldn’t cover this exact damage. I called back to Pirelli separately and they said the tires have to be sent in for inspection to make the warranty claim, but that if it’s found to be due to road hazards/impact that it would not be covered. So either they changed the policy since you posted this 17 months ago or you got lucky. Either way, great for you! Just wanted others to know.

P.S. if you’re reading this, these tires suck if you don’t live in Arizona or Southern California where the roads are very flat with minimal damage. I’ve had this car under 2.5 years and I’ve spent over $3,000 just on tires. Not even wheels, alignment, etc. JUST tires.

I agree - I have never seen this kind of lack of longevity on any of my performance cars i've owned.
The M3P acquired two bubbles from what really wasn't a huge pot hole hit.

Generally - I stay away from major tire brands like Pirelli, Michelin, etc, and typically go with brands like Kumho, Falken,
My last two purchases were Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 - Loved the way they looked and they were incredibly sticky in spirited driving.

So one month ago I bought a set of apex rc7 wheels, 18x9.5, and put some 18inch tires on them. Super happy with that setup. I've got more tire thickness and more tire options for less money. I'm just done with the 20in Uberturbines. 235/35r20 is just too thin a tire, and pirelli and Tesla don't give you a choice but to abandon those wheels and tires for something more reliable.

Made me sad too because I love the way they looked.

L8d

Yeah, I agree. They’re the best looking tire/rim combination out there in my opinion, even of all the aftermarket ones I’ve seen. I’m on only my second set of tires, at 88,000 miles, too. For all the performance benefits the Michelin Pilots provide, they’ve lasted over 50k miles on the first set, and it looks like the 2nd set are going that same way.

I had some trouble finding Mich 4S tires for pickup at TireRack, so I got the Pirelli P-zero 20" tires. Much better performance than the Mich's. Pickup in DE saves sales tax and you get a $40 rebate per tire. Good move if it isn't too far. No cost for electric with free supercharging, but there is a $5 toll both ways for me. I had some Hakka Winter tires (not snow) that behaved miserably. I am dumping them with half tread left. These are on 18" wheels that fit the M3P. Any suggestions for all weather quiet tires? Price is not important if they are good.