TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Great News! Tesla Financing Rates Dropped to 2.49%!

Discussion in 'Canada' started by wallstguy, Apr 3, 2017.

1. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Just got news from Tesla! Tesla just signed up RBC as their new preferred lending partner, and had a big drop in rates!

New financing rate is 2.49% for up to 96 months! That's cheaper than a home equity line of credit which is usually only fixed for 5 years!

I got really lucky because I was scheduled for delivery last Friday and by luck had some issues with Scotia's approval process (which was also recently lowered to 2.99%) as they thought I was trying to take on 2 loans at the same time (where as I was trading in my old for the new), and today I got the call from Tesla that they got good news for me and RBC approved everything at 2.49!

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
  2. Kira

Kira Member

That's excellent news! We were actually discussing a home equity LOC so I'll share this with my husband. Now the trick will be whether this rate is still around by the time we can get our Model 3 (or, more precisely, by the time I can get my Model 3) ;)

3. Hugh Mannity

Hugh Mannity Mediocre Member

Nice! Hopefully this drives more sales in Canuck

4. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

Just got this heads up as well, since Scotiabank told me to go pound sand -.-

Here's hoping I have better luck with RBC

5. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

My HELOC is 2.7%.
    Impressed with 2.49% nice!

6. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Hey fellow ED driver. What is a HELOC. Our second vehicle is a 2016 Leaf SV 30KWh. Are you buying an S or a 3. And are you keeping the ED

7. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Do you mean EV? HELOC = Home Equity Line of Credit. I'm getting a new X.

8. Webeevdrivers

Webeevdrivers Member

Sorry I was reffering to "smart electric" and his smart ED (electric drive).

Congrats on the X.

9. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

As my signature says, we have a CPO (used) 2013 Tesla S85 and a 2013 Smart ED.

I asked Smart for a trade in quote for my Smart ED : $8K
    For that money, I'm inclined to keep it.
    We prefer driving it for school and quick grocery runs, it's got plastic panels and is silly easy to park.

I also went in on Mar 31st a year ago before the reveal to make my Model 3 reservation in person.
    As an existing Tesla owner, that puts me near front of the line in Ontario.

I'll commute in the 3 and the Smart ED both depending on what days my oldest needs a car.
    As for my wife, she's keeping her S, loves it too much to trade it.

Tesla gave us a trade in quote recently, $20K less than similar cars they are offering on CPO site ... doesn't make sense to me, but I don't run the company.

10. TomatoOne

TomatoOne Member

Tesla is known for extremely low trade-in offers. CPO cars end up in a fairly decent refurbished shape (especially if you push for it), so imagine the cost of that, plus the cost of the 4-year warranty, and the extra profit from the sale. All while being listed at reasonably competitive market prices. So I imagine they would factor a significant gap into their Model S trade-in offers.

Other cars, they just don't want to bother with. We just recently traded our 2009 335xi for a CPO P85, and Tesla's offer for the car was $6.5K. We found a private buyer for $12K in just two days after listing it on Kijiji, and I imagine we could've done better if we'd been more patient. Thankfully, Tesla offered to run the title transfer through them, so we still had the full advantage of the tax savings.

• Helpful x 1
  11. FlyF4

FlyF4 Member

I have a better deal. The wife's interest rate is zero. Unfortunately I am her only approved customer :)

12. Navsarin

Navsarin S90D

I have a 2016 90D w/21000 km considering either selling privately or trading in up for maybe an inventory P100D. I leased the 90D and Tesla offering me abt 10k more than my buyout.

For any financing guru's out there...I was wondering if there any tax advantage for me on the trade in for this?
    Ie. trade in value 105k..would I be saving the tax off the new car and then the payout occurs on the 90D from the newly financed amount? I'd be financing rbc on this rather than leasing again. The 6yr rate is 1.99% and the 7yr is 2.24% for those who didn't know!

I know if I owned the car outright I'd save the tax on any trade in towards the new one. With a lease buyout I'm not sure how that would work?

13. Mayhemm

Mayhemm Model S P85+ "Lola"

Wonder if they'll do SK financing now that they have a new agreement? Currently SOL here for Tesla leasing and/or trade-ins.

14. 03DSG

03DSG Member

#14 03DSG, Apr 17, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
    Even better. The 2.49% is only for 96 months. 2.24% for 84 months. 1.99% for 72 months or less.

• Like x 3
  15. Navsarin

Navsarin S90D

That 1.99% is an amazing rate. Cheaper than an Equity line. I wonder if RBC is as strict on lending criteria as Scotia is.

16. Navsarin

Navsarin S90D

Anyone interested in my March 2016 90D please let me know privately for lease details. It's on a 4 yr lease, 80k limit with 35 months left and 21k driven in 13 months. Beautiful machine. Blue on black and babied all the way.

17. Vawlkus

Vawlkus Member

I don't think so, they approved me in just a couple of days. All they wanted was a copy of my paystub

18. wallstguy

wallstguy Member

Wow...had I known the rates were different for different terms I would've went with the 1.99 72 months!

19. Colsla

Colsla Member

does anyone know what this may mean for Model 3?

Will model 3 get as low of a rate as model s from get-go? or will it be completely independent from model S?