Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Ocean Road

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
unless it has been upgraded, the brew house in Apollo bay is VERY slow. we were getting about 30km/hr charge six months ago.
They show as 3-phase 22kW, do you recall what your car showed as the available current when you experienced the slow charging? They may have limited them (accidentally or otherwise) to a low current (as Gapsted Winery had done when I visited them, they fixed it once they were made aware). It's not so obvious on the car display these days but it still does show the available current when you first plug in.

Sorry to long ago to recall. But other users on plugshare report same problem. When we chatted with them, they were aware of the issue and planned to eventually pull a new power line from the MAIN building to get three phase to the chargers. I recall that they were the issue, and not the charging hardware. but as I said before call them up....and ask

good luck on the trip...

• Informative
Reactions: RichardMcN
Thanks @Aussie Yank, confirmed today that it is only set to l0A,I'll let Tesa know. Also checked out the Lorne supercharger location today but couldn't see any sign of activity.

Thanks for the information.

If anything I'll only need to use it for a little bit of juice. I have a destination charger where I am staying so I should wake each day with a charged car.

I've used the Cumberland apartments charger and it works well, but be aware that the car park is busy and crowded and there is no effort made to keep the spaces clear of ICE driving bastards, and no apologies made if the spaces are blocked. It sounds like you might be going in school holidays so keep that in mind. I was not a guest when I used the charger so that didn't help my situation.

I think you'll find that once you're doing the mostly highway driving that you'll be doing along the Great Ocean Road that you should get much better range than you might have been encountering in city driving. 400km in a 90D should be achievable. The sort of day trips you are describing sound like something you should be completely unconcerned about if you are leaving Lorne with a 90% charge.

• Informative
Reactions: Tozla
I've used the Cumberland apartments charger and it works well, but be aware that the car park is busy and crowded and there is no effort made to keep the spaces clear of ICE driving bastards, and no apologies made if the spaces are blocked. It sounds like you might be going in school holidays so keep that in mind. I was not a guest when I used the charger so that didn't help my situation.

Is the charger in the underground car park?

Any real-life experiences to counter this claim from an anti-EV troll?

Look up real world driving distances on the Model X with the basic battery pack in hot weather with climate control on. Its about 280kms.
Try taking the scenic route on GOR and you will be towed to Port Fairy.
And once you get there where is the Supercharger station?

I've checked Greenrace and this would only be an issue in an X 70D taking the GOR route which was being floored the whole way. Obviously he has contrived a specific situation in order to go "Ah-ha!" - if he had said Warnambool instead of Port Fairy it wouldn't have been an issue. I've mentioned the future Lorne supercharger. Any other experiences?

You have to pick your discussions carefully or you end up like this guy.

image.jpeg

• Funny
Reactions: RichardMcN and Chuq
You have to pick your discussions carefully or you end up like this guy.

View attachment 246837

I have used that picture many times to refer to myself.

Anyway to bring this back on topic.. the proposed Lorne SC has moved to Torquay (although still labelled "Great Ocean Road", and still listed as 2017) and a Warrnambool site has been added to the 2018 schedule (perfectly timed to placate my Port Fairy troll - or more likely, make him search the map for another very specific route without superchargers.)

We did the Lorne to Twelve Apostles and back today and made it easy in an X90D.

After inputting the navigation I was a little worried because it wanted to take the Great Ocean Road and every other navigation app wanted me to go through Colac.

I decided to go the scenic route that the Tesla suggested because hey we didn't come here to see Colac. No offence to anyone from Colac.

The nav said we'd get there with 58% left (actual 61%) and return with 17% (actual 21%).

On a whim I took my daughter on a chopper flight over the Apostles so I probably tipped the scales on any environmental savings.

No news on the Torquay Supercharger? Looking to head that way next month and was hoping Tesla might hit their target 'end of 2017' but it has been very quiet on this one. Will go for a scout around when I'm there, hoping they get it done before the end of summer while people head to the beach.
Me too. Planning Syd - Mel - Adl drive early Jan.

Reactions: bradjc
I would love to do some GOR runs this summer so I'm hanging out for this Supercharger too. Come to think of it where are all the Supercharger sleds these days? I know Horsham has one and I think Bathurst is still a sled but I have a feeling that there are at least 3 more sleds somewhere in Australia (based on the count of live ones at the time of the Big Battery party). If they've been working on the grid upgrades to support supercharging then using sleds in Torquay and Warnambool could see them online fairly quick. I remember when Horsham come online I was scoping out for potential locations only 1 week earlier and could see no signs anywhere (well apart from a new HV transformer at the city council offices but that turned out to be a red herring). In the end they put a sled on a bit of land that I walked by 3 times a week earlier that was just over grown grass near an existing transformer in place for the shopping complex next door :rolleyes: