Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Portable Router for M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, any chance of an idiots guide on setting it up please? Mine arrived today. My garage is around 15m from the house router so the car struggles to connect to my house WiFi. All software updates have been done so far using my iPhone as a hot spot.

I’ve followed the instructions and connected the unit to my house WiFi. But on disconnecting the unit and connecting it in my car it will not connect. Could this be because my house WiFi signal is poor?

If it connects to WiFi in your house it should connect to WiFi anywhere where it has signal. If it is failing to do so in the car the signal is probably too weak.

It has much better reception than the car’s WiFi antennas but it can’t necessarily solve for very weak signals.

Reactions: Cyclone1
All sorted. Car was actually 20m from the house as parked it at the edge of the drive away from the garage. However, I’ve put the router in the garage where it picks up the house WiFi signal, so now the car picks up the router no problem and connects.

Great little product, I primarily thought this would solve a problem in our back garden where my wife likes to use her iPad in the shade but WiFi is too weak. We now have a strong signal everywhere :)

Additionally, using an 'old' portable powerbank the car can now get full strength WiFi even at the far end of the drive whereas previously I had to park nose right up to the house to get a signal (even then only 2 bars).

Thanks @hingus2000 !

zVFpxSa.jpg
vJ05w49.jpg

Ah it was this thread! @hingus2000 was the one who started this so thanks to you!

I have purchased a TP-Link TL_WR802N (TP-Link TL-WR802N - 300Mbps Wireless Nano Router | Ebuyer.com)

Similar price (£21) and size. Works well but you have to drop the channel down from 13(Pre-set) to 1, 6 or 11

Setup here for the TP-Link:

1. Plug in via USB
2. Connect phone/Laptop/Tablet to the TP-Link via wifi.
3. go to 192.168.0.1 using a web browser.
4. Enter Username & Password ("admin" for both to start with).
5. Setup using the WISP Mode settings.
6. Scan for Wifi connection and connect to the one you want.
7. Enter the PW details for your home/office WiFi
8. Create your own SSID and Password settings.
9. Reboots on Save
10. Connect Tesla to new wifi in car.

Thats it, everytime you pull up in your car and select park. This then connects to your home WiFi.

I'm trying to find an alternative Firmware for it so i can have multiple client Connections (ie Office/Home/Other)

Not sure if the yellow box one can do this?

I've used the small TP-Link routers with the OpenWRT firmware in the past (which supports multiple connections), unfortunately they don't have sufficient RAM & Storage to run the very latest version and are considered deprecated. However if you can live with the 17.x or 18.x versions of OpenWRT it would work fine.

Reactions: davidmc
Ah it was this thread! @hingus2000 was the one who started this so thanks to you!

I have purchased a TP-Link TL_WR802N (TP-Link TL-WR802N - 300Mbps Wireless Nano Router | Ebuyer.com)

Similar price (£21) and size. Works well but you have to drop the channel down from 13(Pre-set) to 1, 6 or 11

1. Plug in via USB
9. Reboots on Save

Thats it, everytime you pull up in your car and select park. This then connects to your home WiFi.

I'm trying to find an alternative Firmware for it so i can have multiple client Connections (ie Office/Home/Other)

By multiple client connections to you mean have multiple wifi networks saved (such that it automatically connects to the relevant one when in range)? If so, yes it does do that.

Reactions: davidmc

1. Plug in via USB
9. Reboots on Save

Just got one of these - cannot get the car to connect to it, refuses the password. The default channel is 8 which matches the main WiFi, which the car does connect to albeit a weak signal (hence the new unit). Do you know if the TP unit has to be on 1, 6 or 11? If so I'll have to change the channel on the main WiFi as it seems the TP unit will only mirror the channel in WISP mode.

Should add that all my other devices connect happily to the TP unit - typically the issue is just with the damn car!

Any help gratefully received....

Just got one of these - cannot get the car to connect to it, refuses the password. The default channel is 8 which matches the main WiFi, which the car does connect to albeit a weak signal (hence the new unit). Do you know if the TP unit has to be on 1, 6 or 11? If so I'll have to change the channel on the main WiFi as it seems the TP unit will only mirror the channel in WISP mode.

Should add that all my other devices connect happily to the TP unit - typically the issue is just with the damn car!

I had it working well with the standard firmware, When I first had the unit I put it into WISP created a seperate SSID and selected channel 1 or 6 I believe . It worked well

Also home wifi channel needs to be on a different Channel to the small unit. It can cause interference.

but me, being me, wanted to tinker! I have installed OpenWRT and added TravelMate. This allows you to have multiple clients that the unit connects to ie Work, home and other family members home WiFi automatically..

Not for the faint hearted! Also OpenWRT is very complicated but the addon Travelmate makes it much simpler.

One thing that i have also noticed, if you flash the OpenWRT firmware across it will not go back to the stock firmware.

But I cannot for the sake of it, get it to work! Lol :/ It Connects to my home wifi rock solid, my phone connects rock solid but the car seems to not hold the connection and switches the connection on/off all the time.

Been reading a few other threads to see what the issue is:

WiFi Guide and Troubleshooter for Tesla Vehicles | TeslaTap
Another WiFi Bad Actor - SOLVED - Wink Home Control
WiFi and LTE Keeps Flipping

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB

I have changed/Forced the TP-Links channel to 1 (on the AP "Master side" - the one that you connect the M3 too) and it now seems to be solid connection on my works laptop as it had the same issue with this laptop (will keep monitoring it and test it in the M3). For some reason it changed to Auto and selected 13. I used a wifi analyser to see this. Apparently M3's dont like channel 13 and only 1 to 11

• Informative
Reactions: Jez_GB and MrBadger