Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great Service Experience -- HW3 Upgrade

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Like many I've been wondering when I'd get the HW3 upgrade needed for my FSD upgrade. I had thought that Tesla would send out an email or something with info on when / how we'd get our upgrades. Nothing heard so I decided to take a chance and see if I could schedule it on my own.

I created a service appointment in the OTHER category with text of "HW3 Upgrade?" because I hadn't found the link under software to specify that request.

Within and hour the automated system contacted me with an offer of a service appointment at the nearest Tesla center (a bit of an hour away). I accepted the offered appointment. I got a series of texts providing instructions on their contact-less drop off protocol. They didn't offer any indication of how long the upgrade would take but did say transportation options would be offered.

When I arrived and notified them through their app, they called me and had me get out of the car and leave my keycard. They offered me a loaner, but since shops and restaurants are mostly still closed and I didn't want to drive home and back, I elected to enjoy the sun on the picnic tables outside the Lynnwood center.

They said that the physical installation was about 35 minutes and the firmware update about 1 1/2 hours, but they allowed a four hour time slot as they often had to do the firmware update twice. When they heard that I lived well over and hour away they moved me up to the next slot available and moved my car inside after about 15 minutes. They called me after about 2 1/2 hours and had my car delivered to the lot immediately.

Everyone was friendly and efficient. It all seemed much less chaotic than when I picked up our car 1 1/2 years ago. A really good service experience. I think they deserve to kudos for raising their game.

Oh, and the new visualizations are really great. I look forward to continued progress in driver assistance.