Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great shortcut for MX Iphone/Apple Watch and start w/out key (no FOB)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Before plunking down $19.95 for the app, I'd love to know this, as well. I have an Apple Watch with cellular but just changed providers and the new provider doesn't support Apple Watch so I'm only tethered to my phone via BT now.
Same here, I cancelled my cellular plan on my watch due to I barely use it. I have serial 3. In order to use the cool feature over Siri on watch, I guess I have to have my watch syncs with my phone while use that feature. Or to get cellular plan back, so that’s like $10+ per month and Plus $20 app for the James Bond feature, still cool though

Reactions: DelPhonic1
Before plunking down $19.95 for the app, I'd love to know this, as well. I have an Apple Watch with cellular but just changed providers and the new provider doesn't support Apple Watch so I'm only tethered to my phone via BT now.

So, without a key FOB you would be able to run the Apple shortcuts 3 ways:

1. You can place the shortcut on your home screen of the iPhone, So open your phone, and press the icon, and the shortcut(s) run.
2. You can use Siri on your phone to run the shortcut(s). "Hey Siri, start my car"
3. You can use your watch to activate Siri to run the shortcut (but you will need to have your phone nearby and tethered to your Apple watch).

You will need a cellular connection (both for the MX and your phone) for it to work. So for me, (living in NH) there are areas to the far north that I would don't take the chance of not having a FOB with me. Of course, since those areas also have little charging options, I probably wouldn't take the MX there anyway!

• Informative
Reactions: Hwood and KentuckyX
So, without a key FOB you would be able to run the Apple shortcuts 3 ways:

1. You can place the shortcut on your home screen of the iPhone, So open your phone, and press the icon, and the shortcut(s) run.
2. You can use Siri on your phone to run the shortcut(s). "Hey Siri, start my car"
3. You can use your watch to activate Siri to run the shortcut (but you will need to have your phone nearby and tethered to your Apple watch).

You will need a cellular connection (both for the MX and your phone) for it to work. So for me, (living in NH) there are areas to the far north that I would don't take the chance of not having a FOB with me. Of course, since those areas also have little charging options, I probably wouldn't take the MX there anyway!
Ah...good advice and good to know. Thanks for the education on this method; I truly appreciate it.

Sure! The App you download is Remote for Tesla ($19.95). Log in w/ your Tesla credentials.

Then use the apple app "Shortcut" to create a new shortcut. (Name it "start my car").

Hit the plus sign to add a step. Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Awaken Tesla".

Add another step (plus sign again):
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Set climate to 68F"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Open/unlock charge port"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Unlock Tesla"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then "Enable Keyless Start"
Choose "Apps", then "Tesla Remote", then Choose "Homelink"

Choose "Done".

You can now use sire by saying "Start my Car" and all commands will run in sequence.

You can also add the shortcut to your iPhone home screen (choose the 3 dots top right, then "add to home screen") and then one button press will initiate the shortcut sequence.
Is the Apple app possibly called “Shortcuts” (with an “S”?)

Yeah I have the Stats app for iPhone and the Siri Shortcuts are very slick. I didn't set up any custom routines but just mapped common functions to Siri like "Unlock the doors", "Open the frunk", "Start charging". It's ideal when you have your hands full or don't have the key fob nearby.