Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great test drive experience MYP in Devon PA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

hatch

Aug 30, 2021
PA
Hi All,

I made an appointment for a test drive and my wife and i drove a Model Y Performance at Devon, PA on Saturday at 5PM. They close at 6PM, and things were really hopping. Within 5 minutes, a passing sales advisor asked if we were being helped. We then had to wait at least 20 mins to get in our ride, so we were standing around for quite awhile. In the meantime, at least 6 people (all very busy looking) asked if we were being helped. So far that makes me feel good about the Devon SC.

My wife was super miserable going into this test drive. She didn't want to go, doesn't want us to get a new car, thinks the price is ridiculous, and is scared to drive new cars that do not belong to us. Waiting 20 mins just made her more miserable.

When we did get the car, the SA asked if we had driven a Tesla before. I said yes but wife said no. So he pretty much focused on her and the main topic was one pedal driving. Off we went, me driving first. I did not go insane with the accelerator, as i don't really know if anyone looks at the log after the fact. But i didn't really need to go crazy - normal driving gave me the same feeling of instant torque and direct connection with the power plant. Above all, that's why i want a Tesla.

Halfway thru the drive i pulled over and said let's switch. She didn't want to, but in the end we switched. I reminded her about the one pedal driving, and after a couple of minutes she was pretty smooth. Her mood changed almost instantly. Now i see how powerful is the seductive nature of driving an EV. For all those having a tough time with their spouse or partner, do everything you can to get them behind the wheel.

I'm looking to get a long range AWD with 19's, and was worried about ride quality. But seeing how smoothly the performance handled bumpy roads, i believe i don't have anything to worry about. Just the same, i requested an overnight test drive of a long range AWD, since i wanted to experience the model we would be getting, and to seal the deal with my wife. We talked about the car on the way home, and i would estimate she's 75% convinced, even after just 15 minutes of driving.

I'm so hooked, i put in our order the next day. I can cancel if she is not 100% convinced after the overnight drive. So i'm hoping the SA follows thru on scheduling the overnight drive.

I was lucky enough to snag a 24 hour test drive of a MY LR AWD a week later, with 19 inch wheels, to experience exactly what i ordered and what it would be like living with it. All i can say is WOW.

I installed a 14-50 outlet in my garage over a year ago, so i was able to charge it as well. My wife was able to drive it and she pulled into our garage perfectly (love the parking proximity sensor), and then effortlessly plugged it in for a charge. It will be her car, and although she doesn't want to admit it, i could tell she's totally sold now. I even took my neighbor down with me and he also gave them his license and info, so he got to drive it quite a bit. So i've already begun being an EV and Tesla ambassador before getting my own.

I can't stop thinking about it. It's not a perfect car by any means. I am aware of all the issues concerning build quality and service. But driving the car for that long and on all types of roads just sealed the deal that much more. To paraphrase Elon, it's not just a car. It's a thing to maximize enjoyment. That's what i felt. Anyone who drives it comes to understand what that means.

Well bless you Hatch. We have had a 3LR for a few weeks and today did a sporty winding drive which we loved in our Hyundai Genesis, until now our best car ever. Hazel reports that while Jesse was great, Chichi is more 'graceful'. Our red 3LR on 18 inch Michelin rubber now has the title of 'Best in Show'. Happy days.

Grats to you OP.

My wife didn't want a Tesla either lol. She resisted it, I had to drag her out to test drive a LR . She's always driven big motor SUVs and this is a small one but it has huge power and well she was okay with the idea after the test drive. I wanted the MYP for its crazy acceleration and .95g skid pad theatrics cuz I drive it for errands you know, priorities. I have to warm up my other cars because they're both turbos but with an EV you get in and go. Thus I swayed her into the MYP and that's what we got. That's a job well done I say.

Reactions: Big Earl
@hatch I'm also in a similar boat as you are. I test drove the MYLR7 out of Devon, PA and really liked it back in late Aug (I had driven my friends M3 so I think this was more of a formality.) My wife's driven the M3 but not the MY yet. I wanted to hedge against any price increases and any increase in timing so I put down the order fee for the car a couple days later.

I had the an overnight scheduled earlier this week, but because of the quarter end push, I had to cancel (they ended up selling all of their MY's.) I'm hoping to resechedule in Oct so that my wife can drive the car. If she doesn't like it, then I'll just cancel my order.