Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Great video of Autonomous Truck delivery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Why? The video production quality is higher, but the truck is doing no more than AP1.0

AP 1.0 is not ready for this. I have had to take over many times on the highway. There is a parkway curve near my house that AP 1.0 still cannot handle. It does not slow down enough to navigate the curve after dozens of passes and starts beeping and flashing every time. It will handle it if I manually slow the speed.
Don't try that in a semi :)

If the recent MIT Technology Review article is accurate, Uber is likely trailing other companies in autonomous driving.

When will Uber actually ditch drivers for algorithms?
I'm not sure what, besides the last few lines would make it seem uber is behind...

Uber is also never going to be in the market to sell these cars according to the company. If anything they'd just do driverless taxis, but they won't be able to accumulate as much data as Tesla.

In my opinion this is more impressive than the Tesla video, but it will help make the case for what Tesla is doing as well.
I certainly do not see it as "more impressive", it appears to be what Tesla has been doing for months now, but it is impressive to see a vehicle of that size drive itself.

That said, the video is really just a glossy Budweiser ad with some silly statements. I do not believe that most truck drivers take up their occupation to "see the country". It's a tough job with long hours and they are just trying to earn a living like the rest of us.

I do not know for sure what highways that truck was on with no one in the drivers seat, but I wonder whether that was legal or not.

It does seem very likely that within a decade humans not only will not be driving semi trucks they won't even be in the truck. That job will be gone. Trucking companies won't save money by having a humans sit in the cab and read a newspaper, they will save money by not having a human in the vehicle for the majority (if not all) of the trip. That is the end goal. That video ignores that inescapable fact.

I don't disagree with what you guys are saying. I was more "impressed" with the video from an impact point of view. When I show it to my wife and kids they were really surprised and taken back by it. My wife gasped when he climbed in the back seat. I think the Tesla video only had a similar effect when the guy exited the car and the door shut itself and parked it self. If Tesla would do something similar in states where it is legal(like Colorado where the truck video was) with a car driving itself without someone in it, then it would have a profound impact to the "non believers". So maybe I should have said "more impact-full" in stead of more "impressive".

I don't disagree with what you guys are saying. I was more "impressed" with the video from an impact point of view. When I show it to my wife and kids they were really surprised and taken back by it. My wife gasped when he climbed in the back seat. I think the Tesla video only had a similar effect when the guy exited the car and the door shut itself and parked it self. If Tesla would do something similar in states where it is legal(like Colorado where the truck video was) with a car driving itself without someone in it, then it would have a profound impact to the "non believers". So maybe I should have said "more impact-full" in stead of more "impressive".
First, there was never a time when the driver was not in the truck. He went into the back just for the camera.

Besides the hands on the wheel nag, you could do this right now in a Tesla while it's on autopilot (version 1.0).

Here's an article with a video from 2015
Watch a Tesla being driven in autopilot – from the back seat

First, there was never a time when the driver was not in the truck. He went into the back just for the camera.

Besides the hands on the wheel nag, you could do this right now in a Tesla while it's on autopilot (version 1.0).

Interesting. Once again I am not comparing the technical capabilities but instead the marketing promotional impact of a video that you release and is published all over the internet. For people that don't follow it like we do, it is important to show the person not in the front seat and the car driving itself.

Interesting. Once again I am not comparing the technical capabilities but instead the marketing promotional impact of a video that you release and is published all over the internet. For people that don't follow it like we do, it is important to show the person not in the front seat and the car driving itself.
Start following the self driving tech (Tesla and non-Tesla), you'll be amazed at how far we've come since the 1980s. Youtube has a few great videos (even semi autonomous ones from the 80s and 90s).

Once again I am not comparing the technical capabilities but instead the marketing promotional impact of a video that you release and is published all over the internet.
The more I think about that video the more disingenuous it appears to be. Budweiser is trying to make it appear that they care about their drivers but in fact they are actively working towards eliminating their jobs by making their delivery trucks drive themselves. There is no way that a company would make the costly investment to equip trucks with autonomous driving capability and still continue to pay someone to sit in the truck while it drives itself unless they pay that person much much less than they currently get.

Don't overlook this benefit:

Commercial motor vehicle (CMV) drivers are limited to 11 cumulative hours driving in a 14-hour period, following a rest period of no less than 10 consecutive hours. Drivers employed by carriers in "daily operation" may not work more than 70 hours within any period of 8 consecutive days.

Yes, the driver was always in the truck, but at about 1:25 of the video, it clearly shows the driver climbing in the back. Subsequent exterior shots definitely show no driver. Unless they digitally edited him out. I don't think anyone was arguing that the driver isn't in the truck, it's the fact that they are not at the wheel at all. Am I missing something?

It does seem very likely that within a decade humans not only will not be driving semi trucks they won't even be in the truck.
I can imagine a long transition period where only some roads are designated self-driving capable:those outside urban environments and without quirks. If a driver can share duties with the truck, utilization will increase. And as a nice side effect, drivers will not be inclined to push speed limits.