TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Car of the Year 2014 - includes no Electric Cars

Discussion in 'Electric Vehicles' started by hileyms, Oct 18, 2013.

Tags:
  1. hileyms

hileyms Member

Found this on the World Car Fans website.

Green Car icon1.png Journal has revealed the five finalists which will battle for the 2014 Green Car of the Year title.

The list is far from being what you would normally expect as it doesn't include any electric cars icon1.png , although the Tesla Model S and BMW i3 would have been more than eligible for being included.
    Instead of EVs we find some diesel-powered German sedans such as the Audi A6 TDI doing 38 mpg hwy and the BMW328d which returns 45 mpg. The only hybrid included is the Honda Accord (47 mpg) also available in a plug-in version that returns 46 mpg.

The other two cars which made the short list are the all-new Mazda3 (41 mpg) available for the moment in hatchback and sedan versions, along with the new generation of the Toyota Corolla in the Eco trim which returns 42 mpg.
    The 2014 Green Car of the Year winner will be announced next month at the Los Angeles Auto Show.

Source: Green Car Journal

2. ManuVince

ManuVince Member

The Audi A6 TDI... A green car...ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha (full disclosure, I do like Audi and I still own one... for the next 2 weeks)

3. timf

timf Member

There are two criteria that would exclude the Model S. First, it's not new for this year. Second, it's not affordable to the masses. The award focuses on newly released models that are widely available, and the BMW i3 is not on the market yet. My guess is the Honda Accord will win given it's the only one with gas, hybrid, and plug-in options like the Ford Fusion which won last year.

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

Sums it up.

5. gregincal

gregincal Active Member

Um, hate to tell you, but the Audi A6 TDI is in basically the same price range as the Model S. It starts at $57,000.

6. timf

timf Member

Thanks, I was a little suspect on that one and missed where the base price is for the TFSI. Still, the Model S should have been up for consideration last year but it wasn't on the list. I'm sure the Gen III will garner a nomination once it's available though.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

What about the Fiat 500e or the IMev or Spark? All in the "affordable" range. If that is indeed their criteria. Or is it who writes them the biggest check?

*tin foil hat on!

8. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I would assume that they'd have to exclude all EVs because if they are going to include a single EV then for fair comparison they'd have to include all EVs and they'd have no choice but to elect Tesla Model S as the winner. So in that case there is no point really to having any competition since Tesla has no competition.

9. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

Smog is the new green.

10. GSP

GSP Member

Green Car Journal is a bad joke. It is not the least bit green, nor are they the least bit informed or concerned about the environment.

They are just a marketing tool for the automakers.

GSP

11. Zythryn

Zythryn MS 70D, MX 90D

To be fair, the Spark and 500e are not widely available.
    With their qualifiers, I can easily see why the Model S I doesn't qualify.
    I would expect to see the gen 3 in the list when it arrives.

12. AustinPowers

AustinPowers Total Smeghead

Another problem at the moment is also that EVs really aren't that green, at least if you consider a realistic well-to-wheel comparison.
    For example with the current German energy mix, an EV like the Model S emits more CO2 than many fuel efficient Diesel or CNG cars.
    Plus if you include the pollution caused by the production of an EV like the i3/Model S/etc. (e.g. the carbon/aluminium shell, the battery) vs. a standard ICE, you will find that EVs are not that green overall.

Note: I am not against EVs, far from it, I am waiting for Gen III as my next car. All I want to illustrate is why I think even a "Green car" journal doesn't fall for the EV hype, at least at the moment.

13. Mr X

Mr X Future Owner

Smart ED .

14. strata8

strata8 New Member

Er, does it? CO2 per kWh generated in Germany was 433 g/kWh in 2009. Account for 4% transmission losses and you're up to 450 g/kWh. According to the EPA the 60kWh Model S uses 35 kWh from the wall to travel 160 km, but NEDC ranges are 12% higher so it's closer to 180km in Europe.

In the end you're looking at a total of 88 g/km. A comparable diesel Audi A7 or BMW 5 series emits 140-165 g/km.

15. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

Too bad they only count CO2, and let the car manufacturers off the hook for every other kind of pollutant.

16. qwk

qwk Model S P2681

Very true, these comparisons don't take everything into account. If you compare EVERYTHING, there is absolutely no way that an ICE vehicle even comes close.

17. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

18. rabar10

rabar10 FFE until Model 3

Just heard a recent radio interview on how easy it is to win "a car award" -- mainly because there are so many different ones, from different organizations, judging as many as 20-some different car 'classes' per year -- to say nothing of who's paying for ad space in any given magazine or channel, heh:

In the car evaluation industry, everyone is a winner | Marketplace.org

19. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

The only car awards that matter are those from Consumer Reports because that organization accepts no advertising dollars. All other magazines and websites that I am aware of depend on ad dollars from multiple car companies and thus are influenced by that revenue (despite their protestations to the contrary).

20. RKM

RKM Member