TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Green Car Reports: Model 3 quality is terrible

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by bro1999, Mar 8, 2018.

Tags:
  1. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

#1 bro1999, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 9, 2018
    • Informative x 8
    • Funny x 2
    • Like x 1
  2. JeffK

JeffK Well-Known Member

Most of the article is based on hearsay from the owner. Everything else sounds like old Tesla issues and no pics to back it up.

I'd think if I was going to write an article about something, I'd bring a camera... or even a cell phone.

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  3. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

Build quality on my 3s are much better than my S which was already pretty ok. After taking apart some of the car for a dash cam install I can see that the Model 3 is put together a lot better than the S. Clips are much stronger and better designed which hopefully leads to less rattling in the future

• Like x 5
    • Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  4. bro1999

bro1999 Active Member

If you take that one line I quoted at face value, GCR still rates the Model 3 build quality much better than Monroe's initial assessment, as GCR's "last 10 years" comment puts build quality on par with a 2008 Chevy instead of a '90's KIA. ;)

• Funny x 3
  5. trm2

trm2 Member

Well, GCR does only go back 10 years. :)

6. 206er

206er Member

I felt interior quality on the Model 3 I got to enjoy for a few hours was neither terrible nor on par with anything I'd consider luxurious or high end.

• Like x 2
  7. Supertester777

Thanks, thats reassuring.BTW, if you dont mind can you please share your experience mounting the Dashcam. We bought the BlackVue DR750S-2 with the aux power attachment.

8. Barklikeadog

Barklikeadog Active Member

"I have found the car twice in the garage, locked, with the stereo blasting at full volume for who knows how long."

Ok that's funny. How often do you buy a car with a personality?

• Funny x 6
    • Informative x 1
  9. insaneoctane

insaneoctane Active Member

It's hard for me to weigh these articles appropriately. Here at TMC, you're more likely to post issues than praise. Realizing that, it still does not feel like Tesla has realized the quality of manufacturing the Model 3 that I was hoping for a full 7 months after the first cars rolled off the line. I hope either my perception is wrong or that things improve soon.

10. kwest2

kwest2 Member

Of course this was an Edmunds review, Not LAT.

11. pazdan

pazdan Member

#11 pazdan, Mar 8, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    knock on wood I haven't experienced any of the things the article complains about. I'm sure some people are super anal, I'm not. Car seems solid, fit and finish is nice, runs and looks great and is a long range EV. Extremely happy with it.

• Like x 4
    • Informative x 2
    • Helpful x 1
  12. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

The owner of the car that was tested chimed in in the comments and did not seem to be anywhere as harsh about the car as the reviewer did.

• Helpful x 1
    • Informative x 1
  13. Sportstick

Sportstick Member

I noted in the thread on the Las Vegas showroom that the body build quality was poor for the display vehicle. Interior assembly had no noticeable issues.

14. croman

croman Active Member

The two 3s I've seen had great exterior build quality. Owner gripes I've heard solely focused on UI struggles and lack of HUD/IC (and lack of physical buttons/stalks).

15. jrichey

jrichey Member

Had my M3 for 2+ weeks now, been on a road trip already, and over 800 miles. Have had zero issues. Like most things on reviews or the internet, it's the complaints you hear more about and not the happy ones.

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
  16. MacGreiner

Read the 3 threads on those with issues - there seems to be more than the odd report of sunken hood and other alignment issues. I wouldn't say my (vin 53xx) build quality was terrible, but it wasn't on par with a similar priced car from a competitor. I have the same issues plus more. With any new model there will be issues. As said, the key will be to iron them out quickly in the process.

• Informative x 3
  17. z3sty3

z3sty3 Member

I would mostly agree with the article. my model 3 is a joy to drive but I've had numerous problems: hood misaligned, extremely stiff suspension, window malfunction causing it to scratch the chrome trim, many software glitches that required system reboot, loud clicking noise when car is off.
    Went to the service center 3 times since owning the car in early January. They fixed everything except a creaking noise from the aero wheel caps, and a rattle noise from behind the steering wheel. I don't mind going back and patching these issues up since these things comes with being an early adopter, but what annoys me is the reps/mechanics at the service center tend to dismiss or deny the problem first. For example, the stiff suspension: first visit, they claim nothing wrong, nothing they can do. 2nd visit, adjust the tire pressure. 3rd visit, retrofit the suspension to make it less performance oriented.
    As for my 2 pending issues, I demonstrated the problem to the reps when I dropped the car off. Even had a service rep drive the car around with me and he confirmed the rattle noise. When I got the car back... the invoice says "Mechanics could not replicate the problem". WTF. As for the crackling aero cap, my front driverside cap was crackling. I brought it in for service and they said they replaced the cap, but now the back driverside wheel is crackling. Makes me wonder if they didnt just swap the 2 caps.

• Informative x 8
    • Helpful x 1
  18. Uncle Paul

Uncle Paul Active Member

All communication has an agenda.

19. xav-

xav- Active Member

Would definitely appreciate the owners here to post a checklist of what to look for when picking up the car... If that already exists please let me know....

20. z3sty3

z3sty3 Member

Here's the issues when I picked up my car:

Problems with paint:
    A LOT of scratches.
    Excessive wax clumps.
    Paint bump that needed to be sanded down.

Fit and Finish:
    Misaligned hood.
    Random numbers or series numbers embedded into the windshield (probably from a sticker that was left on there and baked in the sun, it took a long time to scrub out)

Ride Comfort:
    VERY stiff suspension (heard this was fixed since early Jan with a revision to the springs and dampers)

Noise:
    Clicking noise when car is off (they said it was from a faulty coolant pump, replaced it)
    Rattle from air vent behind steering wheel (still hasn't been fixed)
    Aero cover crackling noise (they replaced the front cap, then it happened to the rear one so it's still a pending issue)

Software:
    Bluetooth call issues (static noise when answering a call) - this was probably fixed with a software update. I experienced this during the first 2 weeks, but never since.
    Screen doesnt turn on, requires hard reset (just happened 3 days ago)
    4G LTE doesnt work, requires a reset

• Informative x 8
    • Helpful x 1