Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Model 3 quality is terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One item in the review struck me: The blaring stereo. One time (just once, though I've only had the car a few days now) when I turned on the music, it came out blaring painfully loud. I don't know if this was a defect or if I had inadvertently turned it up before switching audio source. If it happens again I'll report it to Tesla service.

Fit and finish look fine to me. Maybe not perfect. It's hard for me to tell, but I think there might be a misalignment of 1/64 of an inch in one of the glass roof panels. I couldn't care less about this. The driver's side door needs to be closed firmly or it does not latch fully. I can live with this. (My sister's luxury car, a Lexus or Mercedes or something, closes the doors automatically and has super-comfy seats and is a gas hog. My car "burns" super-clean, renewable hydro power.) Other issues are lack of knobs and controls (which I knew going in) and maybe an issue of inconsistently connecting to my phone, which is probably a software issue. Hey! My car gets software updates. Nobody else can say that (except other Tesla owners).

My impression: Tesla has issues with build quality. This is very disappointing. They also seem committed to fixing those issues. It's a learning curve for a new company.

I would mostly agree with the article. my model 3 is a joy to drive but I've had numerous problems: hood misaligned, extremely stiff suspension, window malfunction causing it to scratch the chrome trim, many software glitches that required system reboot, loud clicking noise when car is off.
Went to the service center 3 times since owning the car in early January. They fixed everything except a creaking noise from the aero wheel caps, and a rattle noise from behind the steering wheel. I don't mind going back and patching these issues up since these things comes with being an early adopter, but what annoys me is the reps/mechanics at the service center tend to dismiss or deny the problem first. For example, the stiff suspension: first visit, they claim nothing wrong, nothing they can do. 2nd visit, adjust the tire pressure. 3rd visit, retrofit the suspension to make it less performance oriented.
As for my 2 pending issues, I demonstrated the problem to the reps when I dropped the car off. Even had a service rep drive the car around with me and he confirmed the rattle noise. When I got the car back... the invoice says "Mechanics could not replicate the problem". WTF. As for the crackling aero cap, my front driverside cap was crackling. I brought it in for service and they said they replaced the cap, but now the back driverside wheel is crackling. Makes me wonder if they didnt just swap the 2 caps.
Stiff suspension is not a manufacturing defect. It's there for a reason. I'm glad they tuned the Model 3 for sporty handling and hope this doesn't change because of people complaining. If you want soft compliant suspension there are plenty of options out there like Prius, Leaf etc. You should be thankful they modified it for you I don't think any dealership would do that for free.

I think those with no problems are much less verbal than those with problems. At least Tesla is wonderful about immediately taking care of any issues. I had some major issues with a Ford that took a year and 10,000 miles for them to finally address.

I own two Model 3's. One is VIN 23xx the other 39xx.

Problems with 23xx:
1. One door handle needed adjustment as it wasn't going back into resting position without a little push.
2. One Aero cover was slightly warped so it did not seat completely.

Both issues Tesla took care of rigft away.

Problems with 39xx:
None, zero.

Here's the issues when I picked up my car:

Problems with paint:
A LOT of scratches.
Excessive wax clumps.
Paint bump that needed to be sanded down.

Fit and Finish:
Misaligned hood.
Random numbers or series numbers embedded into the windshield (probably from a sticker that was left on there and baked in the sun, it took a long time to scrub out)

Ride Comfort:
VERY stiff suspension (heard this was fixed since early Jan with a revision to the springs and dampers)

Noise:
Clicking noise when car is off (they said it was from a faulty coolant pump, replaced it)
Rattle from air vent behind steering wheel (still hasn't been fixed)
Aero cover crackling noise (they replaced the front cap, then it happened to the rear one so it's still a pending issue)

Software:
Bluetooth call issues (static noise when answering a call) - this was probably fixed with a software update. I experienced this during the first 2 weeks, but never since.
Screen doesnt turn on, requires hard reset (just happened 3 days ago)
4G LTE doesnt work, requires a reset

This seems like a lot of issues to have with a brand new car. Is this an exception, or is this average for a M3 delivery?

mod note: 7 posts moved to snippiness. Calling someone a troll is an ad hominem attack and is prohibited. Trolling is defined as making posts for the sole purpose of eliciting emotional reactions in others. This behavior is also prohibited.

Any more ad hominem attacks will result in limitation of posting rights. And any clear trolling will result in a ban.

Reactions: mblakele
My only issue (with a 12/31/17 delivered VIN 1913) has been loss of network connectivity that needed the LTE board to be replaced. Otherwise, no rattles or groans, no panel misalignments, etc. It's possible that the real early deliveries from November and December got a whole lotta love during assembly...

This seems like a lot of issues to have with a brand new car. Is this an exception, or is this average for a M3 delivery?

We don't know what percentage of model 3s have initial quality problems. There are some, clearly, and I suspect that Tesla has slowed production for a week or two to improve the situation. At times the pressure to produce volume has clearly exceeded the desire for quality control.

We are seeing why Tesla is not able to do an exponential ramp. They will be herding cats for the rest of the year.

Reactions: cwerdna
I'm not yet an owner, still anxiously awaiting config. But, I will say a lot of what I've seen here and elsewhere is really similar to what I've experienced before. I was a very early adopter of the last generation Celica. People didn't track VINs then, but I'd estimate my car was likely one of the first 10k if not 5k. At the time (early 2000), the internet discussion board concept was just getting going and you'd see people with a wide variety of (mostly minor) issues. There was also a wide variety of build quality to the point where people were using the old adage of attributing good builds to Wednesdays and bad builds to Mondays/Fridays. Over time these issues settled down.

This feels the same. I don't think there's any real overriding issue with the Model 3 itself, but the first batches are always going to have some number of issues. I don't think that's an exclusively Tesla thing. If that bugs you, you should wait a year.

• Love
Reactions: Kant.Ing
mod note: 7 posts moved to snippiness. Calling someone a troll is an ad hominem attack and is prohibited. Trolling is defined as making posts for the sole purpose of eliciting emotional reactions in others. This behavior is also prohibited.

Any more ad hominem attacks will result in limitation of posting rights. And any clear trolling will result in a ban.

Just a question, but how are Bro1999's postings on the article in question not considered trolling? I mean, did he start this thread simply to be informative?

Just a question, but how are Bro1999's postings on the article in question not considered trolling? I mean, did he start this thread simply to be informative?
My comment was intended for all audiences involved in the snippiness move. I made an edit to the original post as well to make it less provocative.

Posting an article critical of the vehicle is not a bad thing. Purposefully riling up members with provocative language is. Offenses are cumulative and are noted and recorded in the moderation software.

Hope this helps.

I look forward to GCR's full Model 3 review. Will surely be an eye-opening read.
It's funny that there are people in the comments accusing GCR of being a Tesla hater. I remember articles they published last year about the Bolt, and people were complaining GCR was anti Bolt/GM. I guess if all sides think you are anti-(your favorite company), they must be doing something right.

My comment was intended for all audiences involved in the snippiness move. I made an edit to the original post as well to make it less provocative.

Posting an article critical of the vehicle is not a bad thing. Purposefully riling up members with provocative language is. Offenses are cumulative and are noted and recorded in the moderation software.

Hope this helps.
Yay, we're keeping score! It's a game!

We can call it the Trollympics! LOL!

OK, sorry, I'll stop. I couldn't resist.

Dan

• Funny
Reactions: Yoda101 and cwerdna
VIN 39xx. I admit to being picky. Defects at delivery include:
  • sunken hood (in the middle along the edges of the fenders) that others have noted -- cannot be adjusted out by the front under-the-hood bumper. When I took it in, of two other 3s in the lot, one had it (VIN 25xx) and one did not (VIN 29xx). If Tesla can build some correctly, why can't they build all correctly?
  • bulging headlamps -- they don't align smoothly with the adjacent panels
  • panels under the rear lights are a bit misaligned relative to the lights
  • the usual software issues others have noted
  • minor scratches in the paint that had to be buffed out

Someone on the the Tesla Reddit has a posted a good pick up checklist for the M3: Tesla Model 3 Delivery Checklist
The concern with the checklist is the required remedial action for some issues. For the vehicle on display at Las Vegas with a poorly hung door and mis-aligned hood, it is likely that hinge adjustment would be required (assuming the hood stamping is to spec...not sure about that from looking at the radii). The result is what this same car showed for the trunk lid left hinge. It had been adjusted in an apparent attempt to re-fit that surface, and resulted in exposing apparently bare metal, sans paint and e-coat, along the margin of the hinge base plate, once moved. Now, a proper repair requires treating and painting that surface to original integrity, which they had not done, even for a prominent display vehicle. I would simply have refused delivery of such a new car. I've purchased/leased three vehicles in the last six months and none showed this low level of assembly quality that would need a panel re-aligned. The vehicle concept is so very attractive, but it's still just too soon.

Last edited:
I think this review might have gotten lost in the snippiness. It's fair, and extremely important.
Robin
I agree. I think this review is fair and neutral. If the goal is to have the best EVs on the market for the consumer to buy then it is important for Tesla (or any manufacturer) to take note of any problems with new products. My only wish, and it is pretty minor, is that she mention or quote some of the many, many owners that have reported immediate, professional, understanding and supportive attention to their concerns from the service centers and Tesla in general.

Dan

Reactions: N5329K and Kant.Ing