Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Model 3 quality is terrible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I've noticed, problem with Tesla is not the lack of quality, but the lack of uniformity (is it called quality control?).
What I mean by that is that they skip one vital step in production: verification. AFAIK, all modern car manufacturers have that.
It's inevitable that products acquire defects during manufacturing due to raw material or human or machine tolerances.
People/machines who inspect the vehicle during production, after production, they are either missing, or forced to skip their job.
There are pros and cons taking this approach: manufacturing output increases. That is what Tesla desperately needs.
But overall fleet comes out to be low quality (big variations between vehicles) and service center load increases. Of course,
some things can't ever be fixed after production.

I bring some marketing materials explaining, what Tesla factory definitely lacks:

Finally realize the logic behind the "service centers" is that they expect beta testers to provide feedback for them to fix issues in the field. Owners and service centers are an extension of the production line and a part of the big quality control loop. If you don't feed back, you lose one way or the other. :p

I certainly like this way and hope this works well to streamline and redefine mass production!

Finally realize the logic behind the "service centers" is that they expect beta testers to provide feedback for them to fix issues in the field. Owners and service centers are an extension of the production line and a part of the big quality control loop. If you don't feed back, you lose one way or the other. :p

I certainly like this way and hope this works well to streamline and redefine mass production!
Really?
Robin
safety-reminder-signs---industrial-y4401512-sp446-l11708-lg.jpg

I call BS on this. I’ve never had a car that didnt have foibles. Tesla no worse. Our Model 3 is immaculate. Out 2012 S has a couple of flaws, but fewer than the Jaguar it replaced, or the BMW the jaguar replaced.

The workmanship I personally reviewed on the showroom display model was beyond being a "foible". In my view, it was unacceptable. In the last six months, we've obtained three other cars from a long-established German company which had outstanding assembly with excellent bodies. Combining my comments with yours suggests high levels of variability, which indicates a poor degree of process control.

Finally realize the logic behind the "service centers" is that they expect beta testers to provide feedback for them to fix issues in the field. Owners and service centers are an extension of the production line and a part of the big quality control loop. If you don't feed back, you lose one way or the other. :pI certainly like this way and hope this works well to streamline and redefine mass production!

Dr. W Edwards Deming would be rolling in his grave. Defect prevention prior to volume production is the preferred higher quality/lower cost goal over defect correction. However, it does involve a degree of planning and testing which Tesla appeared to thrift from their program.

If Tesla would participate in the JD Power surveys, that would help gain some insight. But Tesla doesn't participate for whatever reason.
I just completed a JD Power survey for my new Model 3 after receiving a solicitation from them in the mail. After completing the lengthy survey, I went to JD Power website and Tesla is not listed in most of their categories for initial quality etc, probably due to low numbers. But it is good to know they are reaching out to Tesla owners and hopefully will build enough data points.

I'm picking up some signals of humor/sarcasm, but have a question for you based on your priorities. Let's take this out of automotive. If you spend a couple of grand on a really good suit, which, of course, does the basics, covers the body parts, keeps you dressed, provides the generally formal image appropriate for those occasions.....how fussy are you about the fit? Do you have the cuffs precisely measured, jacket waist/pants seat taken in/tapered to fit, or as long as it generally hangs on you, are you ok with that? I'm wondering if folks have different sets of standards for different purchase categories, so the factor of personal importance of an automobile needs to be considered. Or, do fussy vs. laid-back personalities transcent categories? Right now, I am going out to the driveway to hand wash two cars with a foam gun, two bucket method, soft mitts, and microfiber towels, followed up by water-based sealant spray....I'll check back later! :D (there is no laughing emoji!?)

What if a person doesn't own a suit and has never bought a suit? How does that fit in on preferences for suits?

Does it matter that I don't know how to tie a tie? I'm so glad I don't need that skill.

I'm picking up some signals of humor/sarcasm, but have a question for you based on your priorities. Let's take this out of automotive. If you spend a couple of grand on a really good suit, which, of course, does the basics, covers the body parts, keeps you dressed, provides the generally formal image appropriate for those occasions.....how fussy are you about the fit? Do you have the cuffs precisely measured, jacket waist/pants seat taken in/tapered to fit, or as long as it generally hangs on you, are you ok with that? I'm wondering if folks have different sets of standards for different purchase categories, so the factor of personal importance of an automobile needs to be considered. Or, do fussy vs. laid-back personalities transcent categories? Right now, I am going out to the driveway to hand wash two cars with a foam gun, two bucket method, soft mitts, and microfiber towels, followed up by water-based sealant spray....I'll check back later! :D (there is no laughing emoji!?)

My Model 3 fits me like the very best Italian suit any billionaire businessman or mafia kingpin could ever want. :)