Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Car Reports: Model S sport announced, and a 320 mile option.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it the sigs that will have this upgrade? Does it take $50k down to hold a sig?
I'm sure sports are available in non-sig. It'd be silly to have it be otherwise since they'd be throwing away money from all the folks that wanted it.

The Sig will just get you there sooner :). Given most of the attendees are already reservation holders, I imagine a bunch will like what they see and plop down the other 35k for a Sig.

When the batteries are depleted, Tesla says even the 300-mile range Model S will be able to recharge from full to empty in under an hour.

Hah, I can to THAT with my Roadster today. Just take it to the track and it's way less than an hour to go from full to empty.

Oh, wait, maybe that was a typo. (Doing my best Emily Litella imitation: "Never Mind.")

:rolleyes:

I can't believe they improved the performance by more than a second. I'm finding myself excited about this car now. The 0-60 puts it at the level of the Jaguar XFR, which rated 10th in CNBC's top ten of 2011. 320 miles of range puts it above my ICE vehicle. I could sell that and raise half of the cost of the S fully outfitted. I don't need a sig model... but I do need the 320/4.5 combination. It's just so insane that Tesla made another sport vehicle with so many other features that immediately put it in the top 10.

I can't believe they improved the performance by more than a second. I'm finding myself excited about this car now. The 0-60 puts it at the level of the Jaguar XFR, which rated 10th in CNBC's top ten of 2011. 320 miles of range puts it above my ICE vehicle. I could sell that and raise half of the cost of the S fully outfitted. I don't need a sig model... but I do need the 320/4.5 combination. It's just so insane that Tesla made another sport vehicle with so many other features that immediately put it in the top 10.

The Sport won't get all 320mi. Though, Tesla is saying the hit shouldn't be too big, "smaller than people think" is all they would say.

Last edited:
The Sport won't get all 320mi. Though, Tesla is saying the hit shouldn't be too big, "smaller than people think" is all they would say.

Hmm? The Sport Model S will get less than 320 miles of range because it's a Sport? I would venture to guess it could get much more than 320 miles if driven carefully, just as previous demonstrations of the Roadster have far exceeded its 245 mile range. I can get 245 miles out of my Roadster sport if I keep it at 50mph and drive very carefully (no jack-rabbit starts). I regularly get 220 miles of range at 60-65mph. Being a Sport model doesn't mean it takes more power during normal driving. It just means it can draw more from the battery to achieve more exciting results if I want it to.

Hmm? The Sport Model S will get less than 320 miles of range because it's a Sport? I would venture to guess it could get much more than 320 miles if driven carefully, just as previous demonstrations of the Roadster have far exceeded its 245 mile range. I can get 245 miles out of my Roadster sport if I keep it at 50mph and drive very carefully (no jack-rabbit starts). I regularly get 220 miles of range at 60-65mph. Being a Sport model doesn't mean it takes more power during normal driving. It just means it can draw more from the battery to achieve more exciting results if I want it to.

I think that is obvious. All else held equal, the Model S Sport will achieve slightly less range than the standard Model S. If you don't think so, take it up with Rawlinson, he's only like the head of engineering or something.

Tesla announces Model S performance version

Of course, raising power to the motor means the battery will be drained quicker, but by how much Tesla was unable to confirm. “It’s very difficult for me to comment on the effect on range as we don’t have sufficient data at this time,” said VP and Chief Engineer Peter Rawlinson. “But remember, energy is recoverable through regenerative braking, so even with the Performance version it may not have such a detrimental effect on the range. I suspect it will have less of an impact that you may think.”

Citizen-T I think you may be wrong. Driven THE SAME the Sport (with over-sized power electronics, which likely are therefore operating more efficiently) may draw just a little less power at any given speed and acceleration. Hence driven THE SAME the Sport would consume less energy per mile and so go slightly further.

That said, Rawlinson's comments relate to the realistic case, where they will NOT be driven the same. In that case the Sport is capable of accelerating faster by drawing more power, hence if driven to the limit must use more
power.

I don't need to take it up with him. I can see what he's saying. The implication is that if you give a driver a higher-powered motor, the driver will take advantage of that and presumably drain the battery faster. It's not necessary, however, to drain the battery faster. One does not have to take advantage of the excess power. It's my understanding that increasing the power that an electric motor can deliver does not reduce its efficiency, as happens in an ICE. Please correct me if I'm in error.

Yes, right.
People are just used to classic ICE problem: more power = less efficiency.
Electrics are different: more power = more efficiency.
And to go further into detail: electric motor with more power = more efficient.
Electric inverter (the thing inside PEM that turns DC into AC) with more power = less efficient in area of load < 50% max.
Compare with solar inverter:
solar_power_inverter_efficiency.jpg

Rawlinson's statement indicates that the combination leads to a tiny decrease in overall efficiency.