TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Car Reports website: Tesla Model S Electric Car: What Has Changed Since 2012?

Discussion in 'Model S: Interior & Exterior' started by ecarfan, Jun 2, 2014.

1. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Green Car Reports website has a new article at Tesla Model S Electric Car: What Has Changed Since 2012?

It states it is based on information provided by Tesla "communications manager Shanna Hendriks, who patiently compiled a list of all the hardware and options changes made to the cars since the start of 2013. This list doesn't cover software changes..."

But the article appears to contain two errors. I do not know if the errors were made by Hendriks or Green Car Reports.

From the article, quote:
    -----------------------
    "Tesla Model S hardware changes from January through April 2014

Addition of Park Assist option (can be retrofitted to vehicles built after August 1, 2013)
    Power Sunshade for inside of rear liftgate"
    -----------------------

I do not know what "Park Assist" is because the article also shows this item as an option added in 2013, quote:

"Parking Sensors (can be retrofitted to any Model S)"

If by "Park Assist" they mean "Hill Assist" that was a software change, no hardware involved.

And the rear sunshade is not "power" according to this page Shop Tesla Gear Rear Liftgate Sunshade

2. apacheguy

apacheguy Sig 255, VIN 320

Note that this NOT a comprehensive list of hardware changes/revisions. The battery pack, center console, instrument cluster, door handles, etc. have all undergone changes of varying degrees of significance. Shanna Hendricks conveniently omitted those. This list merely restates what all of us who have been following TM already know.

3. timf

timf Member

"Park Assist" usually refers to a feature where the car will steer itself into a parking space. This started off as specifically for parallel parking, but on some vehicles it has expanded to also include perpendicular parking.

I would expect these are features Tesla has been working on but has not yet released to the public. Given the fact that internal sources are divulging them, they must be close to production. It does seem like a bit of an odd way of announcing them, but Tesla has always been more open with development plans than other manufacturers.

4. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

I have to agree that the most likely explanation here is crossed wires / miscommunication.

But one thing that is interesting is that the quoted retrofit date (cars manufactured 1 August 2013 onwards) for park assist is the same as the retrofit date for power folding mirrors.

That would make a lot of sense since Park Assist uses lateral radar sensors that are usually mounted in the mirrors. The 1 August retrofit date for power folding mirrors is due to the inclusion of a new wiring loom from that date onwards, so it does seem quite plausible that when they added the extra wiring for the power folding motors they also included park assist wiring.

- - - Updated - - -

Is it really possible that a few new owners are driving around in cars with lateral radar sensors in their wing mirrors but they haven't noticed yet because the software support won't come until 6.0?

5. ecarfan

Sure it's possible...but how could a high ranking Tesla employee let slip an upcoming hardware option that has not yet been announced and state that it was released in 2013?

I think she got confused about the Hill Assist option and thought it was hardware and got the name wrong.

6. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

She didn't say it was released in 2013, she said it was a hardware change to the car that occurred during Jan-Apr 2014, and that cars made since 1 August 2013 would be able to have it retrofitted.

Agree it's still rather unlikely though!

7. ecarfan

You're right, I made an error in stating that date in one of my posts on this thread but not in my original post.

In the article the "Park Assist" hardware change is listed under the subhead "Tesla Model S hardware changes from January through April 2014".

So maybe she inadvertently let slip that Tesla will be releasing a new hardware option called "Park Assist" this year?

Maybe. But this is how unfounded rumors start. I think she just made an error.

8. Alysashley79

Alysashley79 Member

I wonder if the park assist feature she was speaking of was the option they came out with in august called parking sensors and they called it park assist?

9. ecarfan

I doubt it. Tesla never called any option "Park Assist". How could she get something that has never been offered for sale mixed up with "Parking Sensors" which is what that option was called from the start?

10. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

Because people are stupid?

I agree with this.

True "Park Assist" is a LOOOOONG way off.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, this is totally wrong:

There is not any 19" Turbine wheel option. There are 19" Cyclone wheels, and 21" Turbine wheels. They are not the same!

11. mgboyes

mgboyes Member

@ecarfan that's not true - Tesla did call the parking sensors "Park Assist" in some territories.

See for example New options for Europe | Forums | Tesla Motors (the original message of which is a copy of an email received from Tesla, in which they describe the parking sensors as Park Assist).

12. ecarfan

@mgboyes, you are right and I am wrong! Thanks for that link. To my surprise that Tesla post about new options for Europe in April 2013 says:

"Park Assist: New front and rear-mounted bumper sensors measure the distance between Model S and other objects, making navigating tight spaces much easier and more comfortable. Audible and visual feedback will be communicated clearly on the instrument panel."

And that I think explains what she was talking about. Park Assist in Europe is the same thing as Parking Sensors in North America.

13. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

I think she meant Hill Assist. Not park assist. Read the comments below the article. They state all the other things she missed.

14. ecarfan

But the list she provided to that website was specifically only supposed to be hardware upgrades. Hill Assist was only a software change.

So she just made an error. No problem, just surprised.

15. mgboyes

mgboyes Member