TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green charge-port door in the morning???

Discussion in 'Roadster: Technical' started by daniel, Apr 1, 2012.

1. daniel

daniel Active Member

This morning when I went to the garage, the car was humming, and the charge-port door light was green. The same thing happened a few days ago, but usually the car is silent in the morning until I open the door, and the charge-port door light is off.

I have the car set to start charging at 1:00 a.m., so it was fully charged (Standard mode) and showed 185 miles ideal range.

Should I be concerned about the green light, which I think is supposed to mean "ready to charge," but is not normally on in the morning; or about the humming, which normally does not start in the morning until I've opened the door? It's chilly in the garage these mornings, but not nearly as cold as in the winter, and it didn't do this then.

Thanks.

2. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Solid green simply means charging is complete. However, this only stays on for a while (don't know how long exactly) and then turns itself off. The hum is usually just the battery coolant pump; I often hear it running for a while after charging. Hard to imagine why you should see anything different to previous experience....did you change your clock to DST?

3. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

I sometimes see the green light in the morning if I started charging at a lower SOC - I've just always assumed the green light was still on because it just finished charging. It's not anything to worry about.

4. strider

strider Active Member

Yep, just means it recently finished charging. As Nigel said, check your clock as it may be starting its charge an hour later due to the time change.

5. daniel

daniel Active Member

I don't put that many miles on the car. Maybe I had driven 15 miles. It starts charging at 1:00 a.m., and this would have been around 8:30 a.m. So it should have finished charging six hours before and had plenty of time to cool the pack back down. And in the chilly (but not freezing) garage, the battery would not have needed cooling by that time.

I'm not really worried. I'm just wondering.

6. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Some have gone for years and never saw the mysterious green light from their Roadster.

You already drive a unicorn, now you have seen the magical leprechaun.

7. If you see the red light then you have to start worrying :scared:

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

You just have to be at the car when it finishes charging. My suspicion is that the light stays on until the car fully powers down, and that may mean waiting for the cooling fans and pumps shutting down completely.

9. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

And if it is red and flashing w/ a "Powertrain Problem Service Required" message on the VDS accompanied by a RED Fault light on the instrument cluster, Call Tesla IMMEDIATELY!!

10. ViperDoc

ViperDoc Roadster 1305

As has been pointed out, the green light doesn't stay on for hours. However, I have seen it on in the mornings once in a while. I believe what is happening is that even after the car is charged, occasionally the car powers itself back up (either battery maintenance or running a system to heat/cool the battery), and then it charges again to get back to its charging goal. So sometimes you might catch it after one of those "re-charges" and find the green light on in the morning.

11. daniel

daniel Active Member

Thanks, Doc. That sounds reasonable.

12. aki009

aki009 New Member

Charging interrupted message...

FWIW, just a few days ago I for the very first time had a message about charging having been interrupted when getting in the car in the morning. I frankly did not pay attention to the light (if any) on the charge port when disconnecting. I have charging set up to start at 9 pm, and there was no obvious reason for it to still be charging 10+ hours later. (i.e. no unusual amount of battery use, etc.)

Just saying, in case the firmware bug squad is looking for something to squish.

13. tennis_trs

tennis_trs 2010 2.0 Roadster Sport

Don't you think the interruption happened several hours before and it just doesn't clear that error (or had there been no error on the display before you removed the cable)?

14. Were you charging off a HPC? Mine sometimes cuts out and pops up the same message but then turns back on after a few seconds/minutes. Never had this problem with a UMC.

15. The_User

The_User Member

If it's cool or cold enough, the pump will run to keep the battery pack warm. During the winter months I noticed that quite a few times. The garage would get down into the 30's and the "coolant" would be circulating and warm.

16. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

The HPC (actually a Clipper Creek) auto-retries after a fault. That explains why it comes back up.

17. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Did that happen when your roadster was charging at full power?

18. yep 70a

19. W.Petefish

W.Petefish Active Member

Have the power coming to your house analyzed. You may have the same issue that I did. Waiting too long may result in a burned out PEM line fuse.

Specifically have your electrician look for line spikes.

20. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

Look for a cogen plant on your local grid. One next to me was responsible for spikes some time ago.