TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Green Energy UK anyone?

Discussion in 'The UK and Ireland' started by 12Pack, Jul 23, 2018.

1. 12Pack

12Pack Member

Looks like it's time to switch to a new energy supplier - Scottish Power going up over 10% this year. Thinking of going to the TIDE tariff from Green Energy UK. Anyone here have any other recommendations or reservations about this supplier?

• Like x 1
  2. MagicMagicD

MagicMagicD Member

I moved to Bulb earlier this year after our fixed deal expired. I did consider Tide, but by my calculations (using a monitor that records usage throughout the day) we wouldn't have been any better off since our cooker is electric and is always on at 'high tide'.

Also, keep in mind that both Tide and Bulb's tariff are variable so will continue to go up.

3. Tevvy

Tevvy Member

I’m on TIDE and it works well for me. 6p nighttime rate was the winner for me.

Customer service been excellent also.

4. Mark77a

Mark77a Member

Ditto, was an early Tide user and still love it - the peak rates 4-8pm weekdays really make you think of the grid.
    I've got PV's which in this weather easily covers that, and a Powerwall battery on order.

Even without PV's the powerwall makes perfect sense on tide as it can be charged at night rates (I still get <5p) and then this stored energy can be used throughout the day... almost 'too good to be legal' :)

5. Tevvy

Tevvy Member

I’ve got a powerwall coming too (referral prize) when they actually get round to getting me it. But that’s another story!

Have they got the software sorted which allows charging from the grid at night yet? I’d heard they hadn’t done it yet

6. WannabeOwner

WannabeOwner Active Member

7. 12Pack

12Pack Member

Thanks for the replies - TIDE it is - and will have to indeed watch the electric oven in the evenings...

8. Tevvy

Tevvy Member

Good excuse to go out for tea!

Or get a powerwall of course