Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GREEN EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
i have mine located to the left of the autopilot camera/rearview mirror. everytime i go through ezpass i tilt the ezpass 45 degress from the window and it works 99% of the time. Tested on Whitestone,throggs neck,triboro, new rochelle 95 and yonkers 87

Anyone have any experience with this recently? I've been trying to apply for the PAGRN discount. I see the people had to close their MTA account and sign up for NYS Thruway. How does one do this? On the E-Z Pass site, there doesn't seem to be an option to select the agency. I had originally sent a letter along with my registration and got a letter back with an application to EZ Pass and no instructions.. Any additional info will help. Thanks

Anyone have any experience with this recently? I've been trying to apply for the PAGRN discount. I see the people had to close their MTA account and sign up for NYS Thruway. How does one do this? On the E-Z Pass site, there doesn't seem to be an option to select the agency. I had originally sent a letter along with my registration and got a letter back with an application to EZ Pass and no instructions.. Any additional info will help. Thanks

You need to call, it's not something you can do online. When you call, explain that you have an EV and request to be transferred to the Green Pass dept. While it is an EZ pass, it is not handled by the regular EZ pass folks.

1. You would have to cancel ur current port authority ezpass account ,best to do it in person at one of their walk-in centers.

2. Open up new account online since your address should automatically default to the NyS thruway ezpass account.

3. Once account has been opened and confirmed that it is indeed a Nys thruway account. Submit paperwork via fax or snail mail. They don't do emails..... I did snail mail after so many failed attempts at fax which I sent to all the both address's that I could find on ezpass one to the new account application address. Pobox 149001 Staten island ny and one to Nys Thruway ezpass listed on their site to pobox 15187 Albany NY....cust acct correspondence. I sent proof of nys reg with cover letters clearly indicating my nys thruway ezpass acct number and request for green pass.
Sent 2 times to each address with delivery and signature confirmation. After about month, unfortunately over Christmas and new years, I finally received me green pass.

U can use the port auth one and just add both plans but u will get charged the $1 monthly service fee.....I changed over just because of principle Lol. Don't want to get charges if I can get it for free

So let me get this straight. I would have to cancel my MTA/PA EZPass account and apply online again at e-zpassny.com ? And then request the tags again for the clarity and the model 3 ? How would I know that the new account won't be defaulted to Port Authority of NY instead of the NYSTA as you show?

Also, you saying that there is no monthly fee for have the tags from the NYSTA as I currently see i for my PANYNJ EZPass... This is awesome but please verify if this is correct, this doesn't sound right.
I used to live in the Queens county of NYC before, but I live in Nassau County (Long Island) now. Hope this make a difference in the application process as well.

So let me get this straight. I would have to cancel my MTA/PA EZPass account and apply online again at e-zpassny.com ? And then request the tags again for the clarity and the model 3 ? How would I know that the new account won't be defaulted to Port Authority of NY instead of the NYSTA as you show?

Also, you saying that there is no monthly fee for have the tags from the NYSTA as I currently see i for my PANYNJ EZPass... This is awesome but please verify if this is correct, this doesn't sound right.
I used to live in the Queens county of NYC before, but I live in Nassau County (Long Island) now. Hope this make a difference in the application process as well.
That is exactly what I had to do as well. When I moved out of New York City, changing my billing address was not enough. I had to close my account (MTA/PA) and open a new one with my new billing address in Rockland county, which falls under NYSTA agency. Once I had the new account I could apply for the green EZPass...

IMG_2047.jpg

Ok so I am in the process of closing my PANYNJ E-ZPass account.
I have so far learned that there are three total authorities...
PANYNJ (which has the $1 monthly fee)
NYSTA (which is what the fellow above me has)
MTA/TBTA (MTA Bridges and Tunnels Authority or now known as Triborough Bridges and Tunnels Authority)

From the looks of it, when I re-apply, I will receive a MTA/TBTA Account simply because of where I live (I do not fall under the NYSTA jurisdiction). And from several other phone calls Ive had in the process of closing my account, here are the multitude of reasons as to why I was given a PANYNJ account:
1. I requested PACP at account opening
2. I request GreenPass at account opening
3. My previous address in Queens county is mis-configured in the E-ZPass database for the default authority

Ways to ensure I receive an E-ZPass from a different authority:
1. Go to the DMV an purchase an E-ZPass on-the-go (this is by default TBTA associated in Nassau County).
2. Open an account and do not request any PA* discount codes on the account at the time of the opening (PACP PAGREEN, however NYGREEN should be okay and might make it so that you receive an NYSTA issued account)

I will keep everyone posted on my status and see how things go...

Last edited:
Ok now I am even more confused.
I will most likely get an MTA E-ZPass due to my address. I am not sure doing any of what i have done so far will be able to get me an internal green tag. Is there any one here who does have a MTA (it would read Triboro Bridges and Tunnels Authority or MTA Bridges and Tunnels Authority and NOT PANYNJ) tag that is internal and Green and has both the PAGREEN and NYGREEN plans enabled?

You actually want the NY Thruway pass since you won't get charged the $1 service fee...but looks like that is impossible to get. The NY thruway pass van have both plans applied and will work the same. I clearly stated on my application and cover page that I wanted the NY thruway pass but they sent me the port auth one. Not sure if I want to risk closing this account and trying to reapply for the NY thruway one....smh
Hi,

You seem to be the only one here who is a NYC resident who was able to obtain a NYSTA e-zpass account. How did you go about doing this. I am in need of getting an NYSTA account as well. I am cancelling my PANYNJ E-ZPass account and preparing to get the NYSTA one. However, most people here either had an NYSTA account or lived outside the NYC area and were able to obtain one easily. I am in Nassau County (long island) and I'm left with pretty much only two options.
1. Roll the dice by applying online and hope I receive an NYSTA tag.
2. Stop by at an E-ZPass location in Upstate New York (I have no idea what would be considered the closest stop from where I am) and get one of the e-zpass on-the-go tags, and apply for green tags through that account.

Any ideas?

Hi,

You seem to be the only one here who is a NYC resident who was able to obtain a NYSTA e-zpass account. How did you go about doing this. I am in need of getting an NYSTA account as well. I am cancelling my PANYNJ E-ZPass account and preparing to get the NYSTA one. However, most people here either had an NYSTA account or lived outside the NYC area and were able to obtain one easily. I am in Nassau County (long island) and I'm left with pretty much only two options.
1. Roll the dice by applying online and hope I receive an NYSTA tag.
2. Stop by at an E-ZPass location in Upstate New York (I have no idea what would be considered the closest stop from where I am) and get one of the e-zpass on-the-go tags, and apply for green tags through that account.

Any ideas?
Hey joeuser, did you ever figure out how to get NYSTA? I just registered for the port authority account but didn't realize there's a $1 monthly fee, that alone might kill all savings for myself given how little I cross the hudson.

Any ideas?
This is the only reliable way to do it. When you're picking up the E-ZPass, before you pay for it, check to see the number printed on the bag and cross-reference it against the table in this post: #12. That way you can confirm that you're getting a NYSTA tag.

Despite living in NJ, I've had an MTA tag for years because I bought it at the Transit Museum in Brooklyn. If you apply online, by phone, or mail, you will always get an agency assigned to you based on your address and there's no way to change that.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Reactions: Idk_what2eat
One final thing worth noting here is that there's two green plans:
  • NYST green plan which offers a 10% discount on Thruway tolls only (code GREEN)
  • PANYNJ green plan which offers a toll of $8.25 for PANYNJ crossings during off-peak hours (compared to a normal rate of $11.75 for NY/NJ E-ZPass account holders and $16 for all other E-ZPass accounts) (code PAGRN)
The Turnpike authority advertises a green plan discount of 10% for NJTP and GSP tolls, but does not specify which of the above plans get this discount (they don't have a tag of their own and the MTA does not offer a green plan, so it has to be at least one of those two). I submitted a request through their website and will post back their answer once I hear back.

Last edited:
Reactions: TydalForce