Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

GREEN EZ Pass

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It is hard to get one unless u live outside the city towards upper Westchester and rockland county/Hudson valley area. You would need to have an address that would qualify for the nys thruway pass or purchase one of the prepaid nys thruway ones at a rest stop and activate that way

7711ac0651f42824877a455469f53dbe.jpg

This is my recent ezpass transactions on my NYS Thruway Green Pass. Just to confirm that you can have both plans on the NYS thruway green pass. Nys green and port auth green.

The New Rochelle regular ezpass toll is $1.66 less 10% is the $1.49, the GWB normally ezpass during off peak is $9.75 , green pass is $6.25. (You will only receive discount on port auth during off peak only.). I also have carpool plan as well

Do you have to show up in person at an EZ-Pass service center to request a specific account type? Shadowinstallz, when you switched from port authority, did you do this by mail, website or in person? I'm in the same boat, I now have the port authority green but live in Rockland so NYS Thruway makes more sense. I didn't know I had a choice.

Do you have to show up in person at an EZ-Pass service center to request a specific account type? Shadowinstallz, when you switched from port authority, did you do this by mail, website or in person? I'm in the same boat, I now have the port authority green but live in Rockland so NYS Thruway makes more sense. I didn't know I had a choice.

1. You would have to cancel ur current port authority ezpass account ,best to do it in person at one of their walk-in centers.

2. Open up new account online since your address should automatically default to the NyS thruway ezpass account.

3. Once account has been opened and confirmed that it is indeed a Nys thruway account. Submit paperwork via fax or snail mail. They don't do emails..... I did snail mail after so many failed attempts at fax which I sent to all the both address's that I could find on ezpass one to the new account application address. Pobox 149001 Staten island ny and one to Nys Thruway ezpass listed on their site to pobox 15187 Albany NY....cust acct correspondence. I sent proof of nys reg with cover letters clearly indicating my nys thruway ezpass acct number and request for green pass.
Sent 2 times to each address with delivery and signature confirmation. After about month, unfortunately over Christmas and new years, I finally received me green pass.

U can use the port auth one and just add both plans but u will get charged the $1 monthly service fee.....I changed over just because of principle Lol. Don't want to get charges if I can get it for free

Hi all - for anyone with an existing NY State Thruway Green Pass, here's how i added the Port Authority Green Pass Discount (it took me 4 calls, but this combination finally worked ;-):

1. Call 1-800-222-8655, press #9 to speak with a rep (if you're lucky you'll get the capable Lisette)
2. Tell the rep you have an existing Green Pass tag that you'd like to add a plan to
3. Give them your tag number (just using the account number seemed to cause confusion on calls 2 & 3)
4. Say the "Plan Code I'd like to add is PAGRN"
-- At this point they may say "That's a Port Authority plan, you'll have to apply for a tag with them...", to which you politely say that if they check with their sup, they'll find that they can put in a service request to have this plan added to your existing Green Tag since they already have that info on file
5. If the above doesn't work, say thank you, hang up, and repeat until you either get Lisette or another capable rep!

I already had a regular NY State Thruway pass, so I sent in a letter with a copy of my registration asking for the NY Thruway Green Discount. It arrived today, and I checked my account and saw that they'd added two new plans: "NYGREEN" and "PAGREEN".

Does anyone know if I will be charged $1/month for the PAGREEN plan (which I didn't ask for)? Or am I in the clear since I have a pass from the Thruway? If I'm going to be charged, I guess I'll call them and delete the PAGREEN plan, since I think I'll basically never be using it.

I already had a regular NY State Thruway pass, so I sent in a letter with a copy of my registration asking for the NY Thruway Green Discount. It arrived today, and I checked my account and saw that they'd added two new plans: "NYGREEN" and "PAGREEN".

Does anyone know if I will be charged $1/month for the PAGREEN plan (which I didn't ask for)? Or am I in the clear since I have a pass from the Thruway? If I'm going to be charged, I guess I'll call them and delete the PAGREEN plan, since I think I'll basically never be using it.

Nick, did they send you an internal green colored EZPass? Or did they send an external pass that goes on your license plate? I received an external pass, and when I EZPass they told me that Tesla cars must use an external pass. I know that internal passes work on newer Tesla's as I have been using my existing non-green pass for a month.

Nick, did they send you an internal green colored EZPass? Or did they send an external pass that goes on your license plate? I received an external pass, and when I EZPass they told me that Tesla cars must use an external pass. I know that internal passes work on newer Tesla's as I have been using my existing non-green pass for a month.
I had the same situation a year ago.They sent me an external green transponder and as much as I tried, they refused to give me an internal one. So, like you, I have been using the non green internal transponder.
Hopefully, unlike me, you have not given up yet and will be able to get the internal one.
When you do, be sure to let us know the trick.

I had the same situation a year ago.They sent me an external green transponder and as much as I tried, they refused to give me an internal one. So, like you, I have been using the non green internal transponder.
Hopefully, unlike me, you have not given up yet and will be able to get the internal one.
When you do, be sure to let us know the trick.

I did some searching and found the following as an explanation for why you cannot have an internal tag:

"The windshield has an internal metallic layer to keep out heat. Radio signals will not go through the metallic layer."

EZ pass problems? | Tesla

I know this is the case with my friend's range rover as well

It is no longer an issue for the newer Tesla. I have a late 2016 Model S and my internal E-ZPass has been working fine on all tunnel, bridges, and toll roads in NY and NJ.

I just saw my account having a new tag added. I guess my application is finally approved. Hope I don't get an external one.

I have the internal green expands and I tilt mine down approx 45 degrees when going through slowly and it works each time. I've been playing around with this trick in my current 2015 model s and t has working in the previous 2014 model s as well.

Everyone should try that trick I've go a through all and the only one I haven't verified yet is the GWB express where it doesn't tell you if it scanned or not as I usually do the Carpool rate going through the cash/ezpass lane

Does anyone commute to NYC from NJ? I do and have an NJ ez pass with Green Discount but it does not apply for the tunnels. The off peak rate goes from $10.50 to $7.00 but only with a NY ez pass green discount. Do I need to apply for a NY ezpass with green discount and cancel my NJ ez pass?

Don't cancel the nj.... just apply for a ny ezpass and use as needed for all mta and port authority. I carry both

I have a question re: EZ Pass placement. I have marginal success with left of rear view mirror placement. I have a 2015 S. I also have a Range Rover where the windshield is similar. The moon roof works fine in the RR. Has anyone held the EZ-Pass up to the sun/moon roof and had it read or does it have the same solar protective barrier.