Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green light on Wall Connector...can I turn it off?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Several options:

White tape over the light bar on the surface of the glass.
Remove the glass and install electrical tape over the plastic watertight housing beneath the glass.
Remove the glass and the plastic watertight cover behind the glass, then pull the plug on the light bar.
If you are only worried about other people charging on your dime, go into the HPWC setup and tell it that only your VIN(s) is/are allowed to charge.

Here's a thread I made quite some time ago with some disassembly pictures: Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained!

Reactions: andaconda
I believe the charger is waterproof. Is there a way to turn the light off?

Im pretty sure the answer is no. All lights off on the wall connector is an error condition according to the installation manual:

==================================

Error Codes All red blink codes pause for one second, and then repeat. Light Bar What It Means Details No Lights Power supply issue, charging disabled Verify that the power supply is turned on. If the issue persists, have an electrician remove the Wall Connector from the wirebox and confirm that voltage is present at the terminal block using a multimeter. Record measurements at terminals of wirebox.

==========================

If this is something you really want, you likely need to go "low tech / old school" and put some electrical tape on it or something.

That was going to be my suggestion, but if that's a PitA to get to, then install an a/c isolation box next to the HPWC and turn it off there

Just make sure you get one appropriate for the amperage
It not recommended by NEC ... but I saw an install from Australia on YouTube and they had what they called an "isolation swtich" which obviously is allowed there. I have seen motor starter/disconnect switches installs for industrial applications, but these devices are expensive. I don't know if a "pull out" disconnect device typically used for A/C will be suitable.

Here's a thread I made quite some time ago with some disassembly pictures: Gen3 HPWC disassembly, with overheating issues explained!
Is that still the current EVSE? Because I'm with @steph746 - I have two chargers on my porch now and
- Looks really conspicuous...this neighborhood is quiet but don't want to extra-attract eco-vandals or just thieves
- The bright green interferes with say Christmas or Halloween or Valentine's porch light colors.
I'm thinking the only "fix" is to put some maybe masking tape to reduce the light output drastically, but still be able to see the light if that makes sense.

Is that still the current EVSE? Because I'm with @steph746 - I have two chargers on my porch now and
- Looks really conspicuous...this neighborhood is quiet but don't want to extra-attract eco-vandals or just thieves
- The bright green interferes with say Christmas or Halloween or Valentine's porch light colors.
I'm thinking the only "fix" is to put some maybe masking tape to reduce the light output drastically, but still be able to see the light if that makes sense.
Yes, that's the current version of the HPWC.

Note that if you don't really need to get in under the inner cover. A layer of electrical tape over the backside of the glass faceplate where the lights are would either completely or partially eliminate the lights. With other colors/thicknesses of tape I'm sure you could get a very dim but visible at night light.