TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Mountain Power To Offer Tesla Powerwall Starting At $37.50 Per Month

Discussion in 'Tesla Energy' started by yobigd20, Dec 9, 2015.

1. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

#1 yobigd20, Dec 9, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    Green Mountain Power To Offer Tesla Powerwall Starting At $37.50 Per Month

this deal looks bad for several reasons

first, you have to share access...which means at any point when power cuts out who knows what the exact state of charge it will be at.

second, even though they are using the 7kWh version (the one meant for daily usage), they are the ones using it daily to reduce their bills, not yours. you only use it when your power goes out. doesn't seem like you can use it to reduce your peak load costs...

third, they are ripping you off pretty hard core. if you want to purchase it outright they are charging you double ($6500) the actual retail sale price of $3k for the 7kWh version.

i don't know who in their right mind would sign up for this offer.

2. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

Agreed, that is not a compelling offer from Green Mountain, in my opinion.
    I am still waiting to hear from Tesla Energy as to the status of the Powerwall I reserved the day after it launched this year. There does not seem to be anyone at Tesla to talk to or communicate with about the Powerwall.

3. yobigd20

yobigd20 Well-Known Member

lol you didn't get a call from SolarCity? it was SolarCity who called me after my Powerwall reservation at which point I immediately canceled my reservation since I don't want anything to do with SolarCity and their outrageous pricing plans either.

4. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I did not get a call from SolarCity, likely because I had already been in touch with them in 2014 and they refused to install a PV system on my roof, saying they do not install on foam roofs, even though under questioning they admitted they did currently install on foam roofs in Arizona (I live in California).
    But back on topic...it would be interesting to know if anyone in Vermont goes for the Green Mountain Powerwall offer. I don't understand why anyone would, but maybe I'm missing something.

5. Lesifass

Lesifass Member

Sounds like "Please donate us some money and allow us to install a battery in your basement so we can balance the grid! Oh, if you're lucky it's possible that you won't be affected by the next power outage. Or maybe not."

I'd only want a battery in my house if I can profit from cheap energy at night (or at noon, or whenever) and possibly sell at peak rates. Might not make a difference economically, but it feels "better" since it's not clear from the beginning (unless I do the math) that it is a finanical loss to me.

6. Ampster

Ampster Member

It is unclear whether the GMP deal includes an inverter. If it does that might make it a little more attractive.

7. awindenberger

awindenberger New Member

Musk had indicated that households with solar installed already have the required inverters, so no extra cost for that.

8. Ampster

Ampster Member

That still doesn't answer the question about the details of the Green Mountain Power price details. Musk's statement implies that the "solar installed" have to already have a PowerWall compatability inverter. As of today that would be a Fronius or SolarEdge inverter, not one of the other hundred of inverters that are also installed around the country.

9. Lloyd

Lloyd Active Member

From my calculations, you electricity rate differential must be more than .18/kw for this to be financially positive. This does not apply as backup.