Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates on non-BEV'S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Not necessarily a Tesla question but today while out I've seen two non-BEV cars with 'green' number plates. Please tell me the UK government hasn't allowed PHEVs to have these?? It's clearly a first world problem but really bugged me. If you put petrol in it, it's not electric..simple

It has to be zero emission to legally have the green plates.

If it definitely was a hybrid, even a plug it one, it's not meant to have the green plates. Although I can hardly see the police caring to be honest, it's hardly going to be a priority.
Very true. The dodgy number plates, green or otherwise, that you see and no one cares. RAV4 and Outlander PHEV's. Obviously more important things in the world by far but annoying never the less

Reactions: DenkiJidousha
I've seen them on diesels..

I've also seem plates done in comic sans with incorrect spacing (the one I'm thinking of isn't even a valid registered plate!).

There's no enforcement of this stuff.. the police are busy enough already. The whole green flash thing seems a bit silly given that it's inevitable that would happen even though there were never any concessions given for having one.

The whole green flash thing seems a bit silly given that it's inevitable that would happen even though there were never any concessions given for having one.

There have been some concessions - for example, parking in parts of London where there were relaxations for EVs and there were problems with parking wardens not being able to identify an EV. Or the bus lane near me with a sign saying that Zero Emission vehicles are allowed in the bus lane.

Admittedly most enforcement is driven of ANPR and so they ought to be able to get the vehicle class from the registration rather than needing a marker on the plate, but it's maybe useful when arguing in person. Not rushing to upgrade my own plate however....

There have been some concessions - for example, parking in parts of London where there were relaxations for EVs and there were problems with parking wardens not being able to identify an EV. Or the bus lane near me with a sign saying that Zero Emission vehicles are allowed in the bus lane.

Admittedly most enforcement is driven of ANPR and so they ought to be able to get the vehicle class from the registration rather than needing a marker on the plate, but it's maybe useful when arguing in person. Not rushing to upgrade my own plate however....
Bus lane in Cambridge saying Zero emission vehicle allowed - intrigued to know which one is that?

The obvious key factor for a PHEV not qualifying for the green plate is they have a combustion engine, regardless of whether it's always used or not.
In the UK yes, but here it includes PHEV, BEV and HFCV. Generally speaking "greenness" doesn't necessarily mean electric and I would say that especially makes sense for vehicles that can operate fully on electric.

Last edited:
In the UK yes, but here it includes PHEV, BEV and HFCV. Generally speaking "greenness" doesn't necessarily mean electric and I would say that especially makes sense for vehicles that can operate fully on electric.

Interesting to hear Canada has a different threshold.

Although a hydrogen fuel cell vehicle isn't a combustion engine, they do get the green plates here.

Reactions: Graham J
I've seen all kinds of hybrids with them, which I blame on the government for allowing them in the first place. They should be BEVs only.

I did see a pure fossil with one too, thought it was pathetic they felt they had to lie like that - but I also see lots of cars with illegal plates with weird protuding letters, dodgy fonts, dodgy spaces etc - police don't care. I'm sure they'll pay the consequences sooner or later though, either through parking somewhere the ANPR can't pick it up (but a warden does), or failing their MOT and having to get the plates changed anyway.

I've seen all kinds of hybrids with them, which I blame on the government for allowing them in the first place. They should be BEVs only.

I did see a pure fossil with one too, thought it was pathetic they felt they had to lie like that - but I also see lots of cars with illegal plates with weird protuding letters, dodgy fonts, dodgy spaces etc - police don't care. I'm sure they'll pay the consequences sooner or later though, either through parking somewhere the ANPR can't pick it up (but a warden does), or failing their MOT and having to get the plates changed anyway.
They swap their plates at MOT time… they know full well when they have illegal plates.

UK classification is based on the official WLTP CO2 emissions rating. A PHEV will have a very low CO2 rating but it won’t be zero. Only zero rated vehicles qualify for a green stripe number plate, which today are BEV and HFCVs.

UK classification is based on the official WLTP CO2 emissions rating. A PHEV will have a very low CO2 rating but it won’t be zero. Only zero rated vehicles qualify for a green stripe number plate, which today are BEV and HFCVs.

I've seen hybrids with green plates, including a neighbour on my road who has a Vauxhall plugin hybrid, so it seems the plate manufacturers aren't checking closely enough.