Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That stuff will use ANPR tech. That's the only way it can work.

EVs won't have to have these plates, it's opt-out on new cars, and existing EVs on the road won't have them at all unless the owner buys new plates. Therefore, for a free parking/bus lane exception thing to work, it would have to be done on the VRM. If not, EV owners would be getting fined for driving in bus lanes if the cameras couldn't "see" the green bar. That's before considering the rework needed for ANPR cameras to identify the green bar, etc, which hasn't been mentioned at all.

Also, if exceptions were done based on the green bar then any ICE car owner could just get some plates made up like it, and benefit from all of those schemes.

EVs won't have to have these plates, it's opt-out on new cars, and existing EVs on the road won't have them at all unless the owner buys new plates. Therefore, for a free parking/bus lane exception thing to work, it would have to be done on the VRM. If not, EV owners would be getting fined for driving in bus lanes if the cameras couldn't "see" the green bar. That's before considering the rework needed for ANPR cameras to identify the green bar, etc, which hasn't been mentioned at all.

Also, if exceptions were done based on the green bar then any ICE car owner could just get some plates made up like it, and benefit from all of those schemes.
Bear in mind the competency level in this current government and that probably will be the way it works

Reactions: mikeyg_ev

I am sure ultimate ANPR will be used. I imagine it is just a quick way to tell so you can see at a glance if cars are parked where they should not be or driving where they should not be. Also useful if you hire a car maybe. not everyone has access to ANPR so if you see an ICE in an EV bay without the green flash you can slash the tires with confidence :)

Well, I have just put a white vinyl plate on the front of my white M3 and I have been loving the minimalism. Glad to hear the green flash is for new cars. Everyone knows if it's a Tesla it has to be electric (except TfL and the congestion charge, naturally!)

Apparently there are some "aftermarket" exhaust pipes and souped-up engine noise generators you can fit to EV's to return them to that "authentic Turbo-GT" sound we "used to love".
Couple that with a green number plate and confuse the heck out of onlookers (and the Law?). :)

I just saw this from the BBC

Green number plates planned for electric cars

Green number plates for EVs.

I like the intention of giving us some kind of future benefits, but I’m not sure green matches my colour scheme

I've just contacted One Stop Number Plates where I got my previous stick on front plate from and they have confirmed that they can do these 'green' plates (think I will wait a few weeks though before I order mine)

How can they provide the plates when the sizing for the green bar, etc hasn't been formalised yet?

Exactly, and that's why I am waiting... I did send them the link and the picture from the GOV.COM website (below) though and they said they are able to do them..... Whether they are taking orders for them yet I am not sure.

upload_2020-6-16_16-27-38.png

Reactions: Durzel
Thinking about it, it is pretty much just a virtue signalling thing. Not sure how I feel about advertising that fact, bearing in mind how petty some people can be. There is a Daily Mail article on this change and as you'd expect the comments are almost all negative, talking about the usual shite like cost to manufacture lithium ion, how EVs have 5G built in that stops you breathing, etc. I could conceive of how someone spotting a car wearing these plates might feel irritated enough to want to vandalise it...

The stuff like driving in bus lanes, free parking, etc will be done based on the VRM anyway, not the green bar.

Hmmm.. I wouldn't be averse to getting these plates made up for my car, but at the same time I don't want to risk winding the mentalists up for no good reason.

Reactions: Jez_GB and CMc1
How can they provide the plates when the sizing for the green bar, etc hasn't been formalised yet?

I agree. I imagined the green flash would be the same dimensions as the current EU or other flags. According to this leaflet the national identifier should be between 40 and 50mm wide. Playing around in Photoshop, the green flash on the gov.uk examples is quite a bit wider (based on the standard plate width of 520mm):

Green-plate.jpg

A roll of this or similar and sorted...

I had the same thought - there's no way I'm planning on putting a green flash on the front of my white M3 unless forced to (car has plain number plates taped front & back)

If I have to put one on the back, so be it - I'll resurrect the old Tesla EU one & put a bit of green tape on it.

Surely this won't be mandatory for those of us with existing EVs will it?

The outcome of the consultation is available here. The key bit is hilighted below:

gov-uk.jpg

The typos suggest it was done in a hurry (or is Mr Cummings' eyesight playing up again?)

It is non-mandatory with an opt-out i.e. new EVs get the green plates by default but you can opt to have a standard plate instead, and no requirement for older EVs to have to use the new plates.

That’s not good. I’m hoping mine will stay stuck. Where did you get your plate?
Yeah, was almost like it needed more adhesive right on the edges. They are from one stop, but I haven't contacted them yet to see what they say (and otherwise great service).

A neighbour pranged my rear bumper, so it's going to be replaced. I'll have to decide if I put a vinyl back on or sticky tape the metal plate on like some others have done.

I'd like to know this too - I'd hate to have to go back to putting dodgy GB stickers on the rear window or worse

You are going to have to that anyway after the transition period, even if you have GB on your plate (source).

CORRECTION - the advice has changed! If you have a Euro symbol with GB on the plate you won't need to display a separate GB sticker (source)

Second addition - that might change again after the transition period (source)

Last edited:
Reactions: Andrew_SE23