Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green number plates

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
.gov is the USA (because my the time the country code TLDs were brought in they had already grabbed the root ones, .org, .com, .net).
Anything .uk is the UK
Not quite true… (I used to work for a domain registration company in the late 90s)

.us is the TLD for the USA and was created in 1985 the same as the generic ones (like .com) that are non country specific and some of the country specific ones like .uk

.com just means commercial and it isn’t tied to the US at all. In theory if your site is US focused (e.g. local coffee shop) you should be on a .us domain, with a non country specific business like Starbucks being a .com

But .com as a signature caught on in the mid 90s with many ppl unaware of this new thing called the internet (technically websites) and associating it with a website because they just kept hearing .com .com .com on the news so whenever people remember your site address they just automatically try .com first so there’s a disadvantage to having a .us or .uk hence everyone registers .com and we have a shortage of available names despite plenty of other TLDs available. The internet boom with the non tech public in the 90s was a blessing and a curse…

The exception is .gov which *is* US government and comes about from the fact the internet was a US government project in the early days. So the US *does* have that one as exclusively it’s own.

Whilst a Pantone shade is specified, its only stated as having to be 'or very similar'. Colour by its very nature will vary in different lighting conditions, especially if retroreflective. Our green flash when viewed under good lighting is definitely 'very similar', this image taken with flash on overcast day.

View attachment 659893

cant find any website that will do a green EV plate, with "UK" and leaving out any flag graphic (don't want that on my plate).

Maybe this will change in September with the new rules..... but if anyone knows any, post here!

Just to confirm that I'm understanding the new rules. Plates now require the 'UK' text as well as a picture of the UK Flag to be legal? There's no longer an option to only have GB like lovely set VanillaAir had above (also curious to hear if you're swapping or keeping your GB ones)

Just to confirm that I'm understanding the new rules. Plates now require the 'UK' text as well as a picture of the UK Flag to be legal? There's no longer an option to only have GB like lovely set VanillaAir had above (also curious to hear if you're swapping or keeping your GB ones)
I don't think you need the flag and the UK, one or the other from what I remember reading this morning. (i.e. a long time ago :) )

Edit found the page on BBC:

According to government guidelines anyone planning to drive outside the UK now needs "to display a UK sticker clearly on the rear of your vehicle if your number plate has any of the following:
• a GB identifier with the Union flag
• a Euro symbol
• a national flag of England, Scotland or Wales
• numbers and letters only - no flag or identifier

However, anyone with a number plate that includes the UK identifier with the Union flag, also known as the Union Jack, does not need a UK sticker.

The guidelines add: "If you're in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you must display a UK sticker no matter what is on your number plate.
"You do not need a UK sticker or number plate to drive in Ireland."

I bought Green UK with a Union Jack stickers to cover up the Euro GB bit on the plate.
Seem to be OK.
Search for this on Amazon £1.89

UK Green Electric/EV Car Number Plate - Vinyl Stickers - Union Jack - NO EU Flag Brexit - Pack of 2 (Front/Rear), Replaces GB Sticker​

Worth pointing out that these may not be legal for long term UK use as I believe that green stickers are not allowed on the plate (I cannot find the reference though since researching the retroreflective issue) and, legality aside, there is no mention that they are retroreflective.

The new UK symbol and Union Jack is only required when driving outside the UK. The GB version still remains legal within the UK although it must be covered if driving outside the UK. If driving in Spain, Cyprus or Malta, you need a separate sticker irrespective of what is on the number plate.

So, has anyone found a supplier for a aluminium plate with green 'flash' and UK?
Just changed registration and would like to buy some online.

Also, what documentation is required and can it be scanned or would they want it posted?

So, has anyone found a supplier for a aluminium plate with green 'flash' and UK?
Just changed registration and would like to buy some online.

For GB substitute UK

For those that want an Tesla holder compatible aluminum plate but also want a GB logo etc.

Hills, the supplier of the plate materials used by Halfords et al., suggested contacting Nick or Adam at Number Plates | Gould Numberplates | Nailsea to see if they can help. In the end I used an acrylic plate so never investigated this option.