TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Green Obama’s official limo is a gas guzzler

Discussion in 'Cars and Transportation' started by dpeilow, Nov 23, 2008.

1. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I'm just heartened to have a president's name and the description "Green" attached.

How about this? Require that all US Government vehicles be replaced in two years with electric versions. Also, make State and Local government want to follow suit with Fed incentives. (perhaps offer huge incentives for all corporate fleets over 500 cars)
    That breaks the chicken/egg cycle. Now automakers have buyers. No more excuses. Build the cars, the infrastructure, and the public will get on board.

2. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Tabloid journalism is tabloid journalism, regardless of where it is produced...

3. Sgee

Sgee Member

I think that in 2012 it would be nice to see most of the government fleet as Teslas.:biggrin:

4. malcolm

malcolm Active Member

Wonder what the daily mileage of a typical Government fleet car is. City-only driving would be perfect.

But keeping the weight down would be the tricky part.

5. graham

graham Active Member

Especially for vehicles with armor plating and bullet-proofing...

6. Tdave

Tdave Member

#7 Tdave, Nov 24, 2008
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2008
    Make the body panels be the battery, and there's your armored car for all of us.

(I know, not practical).

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

Yeah, how much do 5 inch glass windows weigh?:eek:

8. Chris H.

Chris H. Member

Carbon fibre is both light weight and bullet resistant. A friend of mine used to work for British Aerospace, he built the cockpits for Tornado fighter planes out of carbon fibre, and he told me that they could stop a 30mm (I think...) shell.

There are also glass/plastic laminates that can stop fairly large calibre rounds, GM just needs to start using some of these materials if they want to build safe, but lightweight, limosines.

9. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

10. Kevin Harney

Kevin Harney Active Member

I got news for you all.... the Presidential Limo can withstand MUCH more than bullets !!!! :)

11. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#12 vfx, Jan 11, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
    7d1231628824-pic-day-2-some-may-slightly-nsfw-article-1109082-02fd57b3000005dc-983_468x310_popup.jpg

Blood?!

12. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

#13 vfx, Jan 12, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2009
    Don't know why I'm obsessed with this topic. Perhaps because this car is the icon of the president and the automobile.

Here's what he should do. Have an Electric Presidential Limo made. It's symbolic.

There are EV military projects going on all over. Tap into that resource. Spend military type money on the project and open source all EV related discoveries.

When the next administration comes in then they can do what they want like when Regan took down Carter's White House solar panels.

13. mt2

mt2 Member

Well, it is diesel. Maybe he can run it on recycled fast food grease.