Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green Parking Spaces

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So what you're saying is that it seems that a Tory government can also care about social/environmental issues? Perhaps they're not so evil after all! >.>

It's been well proven in places like the Netherlands that promoting free parking for EVs is a good way to increase adoption of electric vehicles, much like the reduced tax or location-based emissions restrictions have. It seems, to me, to be a sensible idea to put a wide swath of incentives forwards, while at the same time introducing such penalties as a carbon tax in order to speed up the rate of transition from fossil fuels. After all, the fuel industry is heavily subsidised, so perhaps it's time to swing that needle in the opposite direction.

Don't they pretty much do this by putting charging points in?

As in, the sorts of places that would do this (ie supermarkets with large numbers of spaces), already have a number of EV charging places, or are likely to.

Every bit helps though.

Don't they pretty much do this by putting charging points in?

As in, the sorts of places that would do this (ie supermarkets with large numbers of spaces), already have a number of EV charging places, or are likely to.

Every bit helps though.
Not always... in my area we've a number of lampost charging points, but they're virtually useless as there's no EV parking bays so always ICE'd by local residents (reasonably) wanting to park near their house (rather than having the bloke down the road parking in front of their place!)

I cannot read the story since I don't subscribe but I have been suggesting something like this for a while. I even promoted it to my workplace with its several thousand parking spaces ( to zero interest)
If you made a certain number of spaces in each car park ZEV only and increase that number every year so that there were generally always a few ZEV spaces free it would cost very little and would drive ICE drivers crazy seeing all those empty spaces they could not use. And maybe a bigger incentive to ICE drivers to switch than any financial incentive that could be afforded.
They don't even need to be free parking though that would be nice
Councils could make money fining the ICE drivers who ignored it.
Green licence plates make it easy to police
it takes the pressure of charging points since people will be less likely to charge just to get a space

its win win win in my view

Reactions: Beady3647
A standardised system of identifying EV spaces at a glance can't hurt.

Without any legislation or enforcement to back it up though it'll have as much weight as Parent & Child spaces, etc. Still, if there's at least a stigma to parking in EV spaces it would be progress.
judging by the comments I see on mainstream press stories about EV's I would say ICEing the EV spaces may be more of a badge of honour than a stigma to some people.

It's a nice idea, in theory. But I can see them being iced or even cars keyed due to jealousy. I saw some comments saying it was a rich mans dedicated parking space as EV's are more expensive than the average car and now the "poor" people are being told to go elsewhere... Go figure...

Not sure I would would count charging bays as parking spaces though,. Of higher importance If they have the room to make EV parking spaces they have the room to expand the bay sizes so that the ever expanding waistline of cars can actually fit.