Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green plate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just curious to know if the delivery package includes the green plate or we will get one to the delivery place?
My DS ( no vin yet ) said all Ontario new owners will get new G plates & it is in the billing breakdown ( part of fees ).

BTW, I have seen a few custom ON ( blue ) plates around on Teslas. As all Teslas are EVs, don't they automatically qualify to use hov etc
lanes "just because". Thanks...

My DS ( no vin yet ) said all Ontario new owners will get new G plates & it is in the billing breakdown ( part of fees ).

BTW, I have seen a few custom ON ( blue ) plates around on Teslas. As all Teslas are EVs, don't they automatically qualify to use hov etc
lanes "just because". Thanks...

Nope, you need the green plate. Those with blue plates probably don't care/don't use the HOV lanes.

Last edited:
I emailed the MoT to ask when they might introduce personalized green plates. Does anybody have any insider info on that?

I believe there was another thread on here that Quebec was in the process of making them available. Until then I will use my blue personalized plate. I will get green plates when I take delivery and then have to swap them out later for my older ones.

I emailed the MoT to ask when they might introduce personalized green plates. Does anybody have any insider info on that?

I believe there was another thread on here that Quebec was in the process of making them available. Until then I will use my blue personalized plate. I will get green plates when I take delivery and then have to swap them out later for my older ones.

I dont think they will do personalized green plates. They have been available for 7+ years I believe, and in that time there has been no personalized option discussions I have seen.

I dont think they will do personalized green plates. They have been available for 7+ years I believe, and in that time there has been no personalized option discussions I have seen.
Well that would suck. I remain hopeful that as green initiatives grow then they will expand what is acceptable on green plates.
EDIT: I actually just got a reply from Service Ontario (weird timing - are they checking this site? :D). Their response:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. We value your input, and we consider every suggestion our customers make so we can provide our customers with the best possible experience. Please be assured that we have shared your suggestion with the appropriate program area for their review and consideration.

At this time, the Ministry is not considering the option to personalize Green Plates.

We are committed to continually improving the customer service experience at ServiceOntario and your feedback will help us identify and make positive changes.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your suggestions with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Kingston Production and Verification Services
Driver & Vehicle Enquiries
C:\Users\wilsonp\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Ludatik
Well that would suck. I remain hopeful that as green initiatives grow then they will expand what is acceptable on green plates.
EDIT: I actually just got a reply from Service Ontario (weird timing - are they checking this site? :D). Their response:

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your email. We value your input, and we consider every suggestion our customers make so we can provide our customers with the best possible experience. Please be assured that we have shared your suggestion with the appropriate program area for their review and consideration.

At this time, the Ministry is not considering the option to personalize Green Plates.

We are committed to continually improving the customer service experience at ServiceOntario and your feedback will help us identify and make positive changes.

Thank you again for taking the time to share your suggestions with us. We look forward to serving you again in the future.

Sincerely,

Kingston Production and Verification Services
Driver & Vehicle Enquiries
C:\Users\wilsonp\AppData\Local\Temp\msohtmlclip1\01\clip_image001.jpg
Well, if we "must" have green plates to use HOV or park in designated green sites, what is the "official" response "on the ground" if an OPP gives us a summons for not having a green plate? They will hopefully know that all Teslas are "green" & therefore qualify. Will the Court then have to rule on this scenario? Does it not put the GO in conflict with itself? Maybe it forces a modification of the definition of Green!
I believe the definition of a qualifying vehicle is pretty simple & all EVs qualify.

• Disagree
Reactions: adaptabl
Well, if we "must" have green plates to use HOV or park in designated green sites, what is the "official" response "on the ground" if an OPP gives us a summons for not having a green plate? They will hopefully know that all Teslas are "green" & therefore qualify. Will the Court then have to rule on this scenario? Does it not put the GO in conflict with itself? Maybe it forces a modification of the definition of Green!
I believe the definition of a qualifying vehicle is pretty simple & all EVs qualify.

There is no law requiring a green plate to park in an EV spot. In fact, technically no law saying an ICE car can't park there either. It's up to the property owner if they want to tow a car parked in an EV spot. It's not like parking in a handicapped spot.

As far as non green plate and HOV use....maybe nowadays the car is recognizable enough to allow a pass, but in the early days green plates were essential until the cops recognized what cars were EVs and what weren't.

In my first year with my volt I got pulled over 7-8 times, and eventually let go, once the cop saw the green plate. One time the cop apologized and explained it is tough to see the green plate sometimes and he didn't recognise the Volt as an EV (back then it was rare to see another EV, one a month or so....now I pass one every 5 min). Once they got to know which cars were EVs I never got pulled over again (going on 5 years with an EV now).

So, you may have a point. If you don't have a green plate but they see it's a tesla, they might not pull you over. But that would depend on the cop, because in this case the law says you need a green plate to ride the HOV lane as a single driver.

• Informative
Reactions: X.l.r.8

You are allowed to drive in the HOV/HOT lanes solo if you have green plates. Period. Full stop. It has nothing to do with the car being green. You get green plates as a consequence of buying a green car, but the green plate is simply the permit that allows you solo access.

There is no law requiring a green plate to park in an EV spot. In fact, technically no law saying an ICE car can't park there either. It's up to the property owner if they want to tow a car parked in an EV spot. It's not like parking in a handicapped spot.

As far as non green plate and HOV use....maybe nowadays the car is recognizable enough to allow a pass, but in the early days green plates were essential until the cops recognized what cars were EVs and what weren't.

In my first year with my volt I got pulled over 7-8 times, and eventually let go, once the cop saw the green plate. One time the cop apologized and explained it is tough to see the green plate sometimes and he didn't recognise the Volt as an EV (back then it was rare to see another EV, one a month or so....now I pass one every 5 min). Once they got to know which cars were EVs I never got pulled over again (going on 5 years with an EV now).

So, you may have a point. If you don't have a green plate but they see it's a tesla, they might not pull you over. But that would depend on the cop, because in this case the law says you need a green plate to ride the HOV lane as a single driver.

My thoughts go to the idea of carrying the newly issued green plates with us in the vehicle along with the relavent registration papers while mounting our "vanity" plate on our car. Your experience with your Volt is testament to the learning curve in play for the OPP & the volume of teslas now on the road makes it pretty unlikely anyone could be unaware of the qualification of the vehicles. Would the "spirit" of the law prevail without the reality of a green plate? There is likely an answer for this somewhere out there.

Its not an officers job to know if your particular make/model could have green plates. It either does or it doesn't. There's a reason they exist, your car vin is coded to GV or not. If I put a hybrid badge on my Cayenne S does that make it eligible? I have a vanity plate so how would they know.
And I'm pretty sure you cannot register 2 sets of plates to one vehicle, green or not.

It wouldn’t surprise me if the reason that personalized green plates are not allowed is that the plate number gives a second indication that they are special plates as all of them start with GV (I think there may be another prefix as well). As someone already mentioned the green colour is not always obvious, particularly if the plates are dirty or have covers.