Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Green regen on energy screen....?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi

I'm sure the answers are out there but haven't 'happened' on them yet...

I was thinking the other day that regen isn't 'always' adding energy to the battery because I can't see how it would be possible without damaging the battery (like plugging in the car for 30 seconds randomly through the day...). So off the back off that, I've noticed that sometimes when going down a big incline for at least about 5 mins, my energy meter shows a green when dipping through a certain threshold - what does this actually mean?!

Attachments

• IMG_5990.jpg
    IMG_5990.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 147
Tesla has figured out how to frequently recharge the battery without damaging it. As for the meter:

Dashed lines appear on the power meter if Model S is limiting power. The dashed lines appear on the top portion when power available for acceleration is being limited, and on the bottom portion when power that can be gained by regenerative braking is limited. Model S limits power for many reasons. Here are just a few examples:
• Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot.
• Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is being heated or cooled.
• Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

Tesla has figured out how to frequently recharge the battery without damaging it. As for the meter:

Dashed lines appear on the power meter if Model S is limiting power. The dashed lines appear on the top portion when power available for acceleration is being limited, and on the bottom portion when power that can be gained by regenerative braking is limited. Model S limits power for many reasons. Here are just a few examples:
• Acceleration may be limited when the Battery is reaching a low state of charge or if the powertrain is hot.
• Both acceleration and regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is being heated or cooled.
• Regenerative braking may be limited when the Battery is fully charged.

Sure but I'm not talking about the ring around the meter, I am talking about the line graph in the middle of it. It shows a 30 mile historical power meter and only when it gets below the bottom horizontal dotted line does it go green. What does the green mean in the middle line graph (happens twice in my pic).

Sure but I'm not talking about the ring around the meter, I am talking about the line graph in the middle of it. It shows a 30 mile historical power meter and only when it gets below the bottom horizontal dotted line does it go green. What does the green mean in the middle line graph (happens twice in my pic).
I believe the description I provided indicates that the dotted line at the bottom indicates the limits of regeneration. Any regeneration below that line is lost and not recharging the battery. In the same way, occasionally you will find a line at the top indicating power (acceleration) limits of the battery.

it means the car generated more power than it used during that section of driving. In other words, your watt hours per mile was negative.

Also yes, regen does indeed recharge the battery “all the time”, like lots of micro-charges would.

Last edited:
I believe the description I provided indicates that the dotted line at the bottom indicates the limits of regeneration. Any regeneration below that line is lost and not recharging the battery. In the same way, occasionally you will find a line at the top indicating power (acceleration) limits of the battery.

No because you're still talking about the ring around the outside.

If you didn’t notice, your average range will show an increase while you’re in the green range. Coming down from the mountains the other day, our average range was indicating 450 miles, based on our current regenerative driving. It was fun to see!

That horizontal dotted line through the graph is marking where your average has been through that last 30 miles. And it shows that number, 257 watt hours per mile.
That line near the bottom where you see the graph flip between orange and green is the line marking 0 energy usage. It's the dividing point between energy output and energy input. So where it dips below that and goes green, that is recharging and putting energy into the battery.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Also, the energy graph is averaging over some short unit of distance, so it doesn't go green every time you slow down for lights, just when you've been consistently regenerating for a minute or two (long down hill)